Old September 19th 03, 10:57 PM
Paul \(Erie\)

Default GMRS repeaters

I was thinking of getting a little GMRS/FRS radio. Is it true that there
are GMRS repeaters out there that will enhance the signal?....just like a
ham radio repeater?

If so, does anyone know if there are any in Erie, PA?

Old September 20th 03, 12:15 AM
'Doc

Paul,
There are a few GMRS repeaters but most of them are
not 'open' repeaters, they're private. Usually require
the proper tones to access them. They aren't usually
for just anyone's use, so wouldn't count on them much.
As for repeaters in your area? I have no idea...
'Doc
Old September 20th 03, 12:22 AM

'Doc wrote:
Paul,
There are a few GMRS repeaters but most of them are
not 'open' repeaters, they're private. Usually require
the proper tones to access them. They aren't usually
for just anyone's use, so wouldn't count on them much.
As for repeaters in your area? I have no idea...
'Doc

How many dollars to put up your own second hand one, Doc?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
50 GB/month
Old September 20th 03, 12:37 AM
Jim Hampton

Paul,

Those are private repeaters and users of those repeaters pay to use them.
The radio shop I worked for some years ago had a number of repeaters. The
charge (if I remember correctly) was $7.00 per month per radio per repeater.
That was in 1994. Oh yes, the repeaters were monitored continuously by the
owner. One big reason was to ensure that the repeater time was available
for the paying customers and not being used by anyone else as well as to
ensure that the repeater was working properly.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

"Paul (Erie)" wrote in message
I was thinking of getting a little GMRS/FRS radio. Is it true that there
are GMRS repeaters out there that will enhance the signal?....just like a
ham radio repeater?

If so, does anyone know if there are any in Erie, PA?

---

Old September 20th 03, 02:20 AM
VHFRadioBuff

I was thinking of getting a little GMRS/FRS radio. Is it true that there
are GMRS repeaters out there that will enhance the signal?....just like a
ham radio repeater?

If so, does anyone know if there are any in Erie, PA?

Paul, check out http://www.g-m-r-s.org/repeaters4gmrs.htm

With GMRS repeaters, you are usually requested to contact the owner of the
repeater before you use it. On this webpage, there is contact information for
the repeaters. By looking at the page, I only see 8 GMRS repeaters in PA, so
the chances that one is near you is slim. You can extend the range of GMRS if
you use base or mobile stations (at a maximum of 50 watts), which isn't allowed
with FRS.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com

Old September 20th 03, 02:46 AM
jim

'Doc wrote:
Paul,
There are a few GMRS repeaters but most of them are
not 'open' repeaters, they're private. Usually require
the proper tones to access them. They aren't usually
for just anyone's use, so wouldn't count on them much.
As for repeaters in your area? I have no idea...
'Doc

ok, i have to ask. what is so private about using gmrs repeaters?
why are they restricted? they are not for anyones use?
discuss......

Old September 20th 03, 08:50 AM
'Doc

Jim,
The are 'private' in that they are privately owned
and operated. Maybe for someone's busness. The owner
may not want other people using it when he needs too.
All kinds of reasons, but primarily, "if you didn't
help pay for the thing, why should you use it for free?",
sort of a deal.
'Doc
Old September 20th 03, 08:51 AM
'Doc

Moparholic,
I don't have the slightest idea what a used (or new)
repeater goes for.
'Doc
Old September 20th 03, 05:54 PM
John L. Wilkerson Jr.

"Paul \(Erie\)" wrote in news:HZKab.443$jo2.389
@nwrddc03.gnilink.net:

I was thinking of getting a little GMRS/FRS radio. Is it true that there
are GMRS repeaters out there that will enhance the signal?....just like a
ham radio repeater?

If so, does anyone know if there are any in Erie, PA?

In addition to the followup ahead of mine, the so called GMRS/FRS combo
radios typically are NOT repeater-capable. Nothing Wal-Mart and such
carries will operate on repeaters. Repeaters require a separate input and
output frequency, which requires a radio that can switch between these.