Old November 15th 03, 04:25 PM
2LD751

Default Need info: Cobra 75

Hello all. I just recently bought a Cobra 75. Two things that I thought were
strange was in the manual, when it tells you how to change it from channel to
frequency display, they show a frequency of 27.755, twice in the manual. I did
a search online and I found reference to an 80 channel version of this handheld
CB, as well as one that says it's an AM/FM CB.

Does anyone know if any mods exist for this compact handheld to expand the
channels and add FM coverage?

NOTE: I am well aware of the mode and frequency limitations imposed by the FCC
here in the states, but I don't care. Please don't waste your time replying,
because I'll just ignore your reply and will reply only to authentic attempts
to help me.
Old November 16th 03, 04:50 AM
2LD751

Then what -do- you care about?

Huh?
Old November 16th 03, 07:14 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , ontspam
(2LD751) wrote:

Then what -do- you care about?

Huh?

You said that you don't care about laws. Does your 'don't care' list include
reading comprehension, too?

Old November 16th 03, 05:34 PM
2LD751

You said that you don't care about laws. Does your 'don't care' list include
reading comprehension, too?

What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

Old November 16th 03, 06:29 PM
Radioman

Handheld CB's suck. The frequency range is such that you can't efficiently
put a signal in the air. At VHF, you can expect a few miles. At UHF, you
are line of sight, the higher the better.
Old November 17th 03, 05:51 AM
2LD751

Handheld CB's suck. The frequency range is such that you can't efficiently
put a signal in the air. At VHF, you can expect a few miles. At UHF, you
are line of sight, the higher the better.

We're not talking about handheld CB's. I am asking about the Cobra 75.
Old November 17th 03, 06:30 AM
Radioman

2LD751 wrote:

Handheld CB's suck. The frequency range is such that you can't efficiently
put a signal in the air. At VHF, you can expect a few miles. At UHF, you
are line of sight, the higher the better.

We're not talking about handheld CB's. I am asking about the Cobra 75.

Lets look at your original post:

2LD751 wrote:

Hello all. I just recently bought a Cobra 75. Two things that I thought were
strange was in the manual, when it tells you how to change it from channel to
frequency display, they show a frequency of 27.755, twice in the manual. I did
a search online and I found reference to an 80 channel version of this handheld
CB, as well as one that says it's an AM/FM CB.

Does anyone know if any mods exist for this compact handheld to expand the
channels and add FM coverage?

NOTE: I am well aware of the mode and frequency limitations imposed by the FCC
here in the states, but I don't care. Please don't waste your time replying,
because I'll just ignore your reply and will reply only to authentic attempts
to help me.

Did you notice the second paragraph?
Old November 17th 03, 03:46 PM
2LD751

See, instead of just picking posts to reply to so you can troll, you should
stick to things you know about and ignore posts that you don't have a useful
answer for. If you had anything to add (such as an answer to my question), you
would have understood what I meant when I called it a "handheld" CB.

The Cobra 75 is a "handheld", all in one mobile CB. It's not a "handie-talkie".
Instead of a square unit that mounts in the car, with a microphone plugged into
it, the Cobra 75 is a CB that you hold in your hand, a little bigger than a
standard Motorola commercial mic. It's got the channel display, on/off, squelch
and a bunch of other buttons on the unit. There's a coil-cord that leads to a
small box, which can be mounted under dash, under a seat, or anywhere else, and
the coax plugs into that. There's also a plug for an external speaker.

So, it's just like any other mobile CB, but it's more compact and doesn't
require you to drill holes. Do a search on the net for it and you'll see what I
mean.

So, back to my original question:

I've seen this radio advertised in overseas websites as "80 channels" and even
as "AM/FM". Does anyone know if there's a mod to change it to either of these?
Old November 18th 03, 01:07 AM
jim

2LD751 wrote:
[...]

post this to the uk.rec.radio.cb ng to see if there is any info...