Old February 27th 04, 10:24 AM

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 05:14:24 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:58:19 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

In ,
wrote:

One other oddity. Before I power up the radio, the amp is drawing
zero current. As soon as I power up the radio (on RX), the amp starts
drawing 180 ma, whether it is switched on or off.

Impossible. The amp has no input for the powered condition of the
radio (receive).

Wrong -- it's very possible. That is a MOSFET amp with no power switch. A bad
combination to be sure, because as long as there is source-drain voltage, any
kind of signal can drive it to some extent. It's possible that C1 could be
shorted (after all, it's only rated for 50 volts) and the output of the radio
have a DC component. Or if D2 is blown (a 1N4148 passing 3 watts -- yikes!) D1
will hold a nice, steady DC bias on the MOSFET. There are a lot of possible
scenarios for what he is describing. What -is- impossible is for you to think
before you demonstrate your ignorance. Haven't we been through this before,
Tnom? Didn't you learn anything the first dozen times?

But hey, it's a cheap and crappy amp, and you get what you pay for.

Do you have the coax in-out connected backwards?

You have your brain connected backwards. Quit trying to act like you know what
you are talking about.

I stand by my post. There is no voltage on the radios coax on receive
that will activate the amps increase in current draw. You should pay
more attention. Even if there was a DC voltage C1 on the amp would
block it.

I forgot to mention.....C1 can't be shorted on all three amps

"You have your brain connected backwards. Quit trying to act like you
know what you are talking about." I just couldn't resist.

http://www.rmitaly.com/download/inst...nstruction.pdf

Old February 27th 04, 02:15 PM
Ken

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:40:40 GMT, Ken wrote:

I just bought a few of these for myself and friends. None of them
seem to be working.

Problem is solved. These are for export and need to be "converted" to
work with American electrons. ;-)

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)
Old February 27th 04, 02:34 PM
Twistedhed

From: =A0=A0 Frank Gilliland Group: =A0=A0
rec.radio.cb Subject: =A0=A0 KL40 amp problems Date: =A0=A0 Thu, Feb
26, 2004, 8:58pm (EST-3) X-Trace: =A0=A0 corp.newsgroups.com 1077857940
216.64.140.70 (26 Feb 2004 22:59:00 -0600) X-Comments: =A0=A0 This
message was posted through A href X-Comments2: =A0=A0 IMPORTANT:
Newsfeed.com does not condone, X-Report: =A0=A0 Please report illegal or
inappropriate use to X-Comments3: =A0=A0 A href
=3D"http://www.newsgroups.com"Visit Organization: =A0=A0 Newsfeeds.com
http://www.newsfeeds.com 100,000+ UNCENSORED Newsgroups.
In , wrote:
One other oddity. Before I power up the radio, the amp is drawing zero
current. As soon as I power up the radio (on RX), the amp starts drawing
180 ma, whether it is switched on or off.

(=A0=A0Impossible. The amp has no input for the powered condition of the
radio (receive). )

Wrong -- it's very possible. That is a MOSFET

amp with no power switch. A bad combination

to be sure, because as long as there is

source-drain voltage, any kind of signal can

drive it to some extent. It's possible that C1

could be shorted (after all, it's only rated for 50
volts) and the output of the radio have a DC

component. Or if D2 is blown (a 1N4148

passing 3 watts -- yikes!) D1 will hold a nice,

steady DC bias on the MOSFET. There are a

lot of possible scenarios for what he is

describing. What -is- impossible is for you to

think before you demonstrate your ignorance.

Heal thyself. In the first manner, there is no need for projected
disdain and insult towards one who you disagre with. Keeping wiht the
subject of the group and discussing the electronic possibilities that
may or may not be wrong without insult is a good way to try and lose the
deficit in communication you portray that has you becoming an insultive
jack ass to a poster in a group for merely offering a differing point of
=3Dview than yourself. Your level of intolerance for differing views
llustrates your true level of intellect and communication skills.
The chance of probablility you offer concerning your weak input
concerning all three amps having the same short is ridiculous, like most
of your ignorant and abusive posts that were responsible for you having
no choice but to subscribe to a pay access in order to access the group
in the most obsessive manner.

The likelihood of one individual being correct increases in a direct
proportion to the intensity with which others try to prove him wrong

Old February 27th 04, 08:54 PM

Better yet, find a tech who understands that "There are a lot of possible
scenarios for what he is describing".

Like a tech who believes three brand new amps have shorts in C1?

You'd do a better job in enhancing your worth to this group if you'd
post with a little more manners, use common sense, and also know when
not to post?

Old February 28th 04, 03:16 AM
Frank Gilliland

In , wrote:

Better yet, find a tech who understands that "There are a lot of possible
scenarios for what he is describing".

Like a tech who believes three brand new amps have shorts in C1?

Did I say I believe they all had bad caps? No. I said it was -possible-, and it
is. Better read more carefully or TwistyDave is going to start whining about
your communication deficits.

You'd do a better job in enhancing your worth to this group if you'd
post with a little more manners, use common sense, and also know when
not to post?

But I -do- know when not to post -- I don't post when I don't know what I'm
talking about, like issues regarding many popular radios such as Ranger, RCI,
etc. I don't know anything about those except that most are easily modified to
operate illegally. I couldn't tell you anything beyond that. What I -do- know is
how to read a schematic, how to analyze a bad circuit, and how to locate
possible causes of failure. And I -do- know how an RF amplifier works, as well
as the operational characteristics of each and every component, active and
passive. I -also- know that manufacturing processes can sometimes turn loose an
entire lot of bad products, whether they are the final products or their
components. And yes, I -also- know that sometimes there are unknown faults in
equipment that can cause failures in other equipment. And I -=ALSO=- know that
some people will keep replacing fuses as fast as they blow them without even
thinking that the fault is not the fuse. In other words, it is not uncommon for
someone to test two or more brand new products, discover that they are broken,
and not realize that they were rendered non-functional as a result of their own
bad test equipment or procedure. This happens quite frequently when the products
have very static sensitive components (such as MOSFET's). You have therefore
demonstrated that you have very little, if any, experience working with such
devices, and should probably take your own advice (learn when not to post).

Old February 28th 04, 05:54 AM

[...]

What you fail to realize is that you don't know that you have no
common sense.