Old June 23rd 04, 03:05 PM
Nicolai Carpathia

From: (Keith=A0Hosman=A0KC8TCQ)
Nicolai Carpathia wrote:
heheh hot pastrami and swiss on rye, would kill for a garlic onion bagel
with cream cheese and smoked salmon though.
Oh and I got my steaming cup of Jamaica
Blue Mt coffee
-------------------------------------
You're speaking my language loud and clear.........the Jamaican crop was
absolutely lousy two years ago and I went to the Ethiopian Harrar (a
close runner up, in addition to a distinct Arabica Hawaiian bean offered
by Gevalia),,,,did the Blue Mountain Crop rebound? Sometimes they get
two growing seasons per year. I couldn't justify the price for an
inferior bean that is supposed to set the standard,,we drank Blue
Mountain for years and until it changed two years ago due to a poor crop
year..,,,,I haven't tried this year's crop yet,.........nothing like
world class whole bean from a press out of a ceramic mug. Ditto for the
smoked salmon, although smoked mullet is a dead tie when making spread.
Well, This years crop was good, and there is a bean that comes from the
next mountain over that is damn near as good. The local coffee shop
orders the whole beans for me, and I grind them fresh for each pot. heck
I love the smell of fresh ground beans as much as I love drinking the
fifnal product.
Right on! A good supplier is just as valuable,,,I've seen several coffee
distributors selling old stock coffee....if it's been sitting in their
store for an amount of time, it's no good, but of course you already are
aware of this, being a coffee connoisseur yourself.
Oh yea, I agree,,,,when possible, never grind the beans until right
before brewing, but many places don't sell Blue Mountain whole bean
because they sell it by the cup. Mail order has yielded me the best
bean, but you really pay for it. What is the going price this year for
the Blue Mountain? I think it was around 42 bucks per pound before the
bad crop. I can imagine what it went to in the following year.

Old June 23rd 04, 04:38 PM
BaleL

"3 out of 4 people surveyed, belong to 75% of the population."
From: (Keith Hosman KC8TCQ)
Nicolai Carpathia wrote:
[...]

-------

You might try Gevalia

http://www.gevalia.com/gevalia/catal..._ADDED =false

I can ask the local store for their suppliers information also

From Gevalia it is $24.95 for 8 oz whole beans so $49.90 for a pound

I buy alot of coffee from Gevalia.

Old June 23rd 04, 04:54 PM
Keith KC8TCQ

From: (Keith Hosman KC8TCQ)
Nicolai Carpathia wrote:
[...]

From Gevalia it is $24.95 for 8 oz whole beans so $49.90 for a pound

I buy alot of coffee from Gevalia.

Strange, someone played with my settings on my news reader at the office.

KC8TCQ
remove "nospam" from email to reply

"3 out of 4 people surveyed, belong to 75% of the population."

Old June 24th 04, 01:56 AM
Keith Hosman KC8TCQ

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:

"I ain't George either" wrote in
:

"Keith Hosman KC8TCQ" wrote in message
itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:

Keith Hosman KC8TCQ wrote in
:

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:

Keith Hosman KC8TCQ wrote in
:

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:

Keith Hosman KC8TCQ wrote in
:

Steveo wrote:

Vidalia Onions are in at the market here in Ohio now..YUM!

A guy right here in town grows Vidalia's, and yes they are
great.

Then they really aren't Vidalia onion's. Vidalia is a town
located in georgia. of course famous for these sweet big
onion's.

http://www.vidaliaonion.com/how.htm

yeah and champange only comes from that region of france,
otherewise it is sparkling wine,but it is still the same, the
name is for the
location
of the original.

How to Grow Vidalia Onions

Uunfortunately you can't... that is unless you live in the
special Vidalia Georgia region.

The onions are actually your standard Yellow Granex variety that
you can buy at your local garden center. The secret to the sweet
Vidalia Onions is that they are grown in soil that can only be
found in the unique region of Vidalia Georgia. The soil has a
very unique blend of nutrients that give the onions their
sweetness.

Whatever there Mr. Garden Master, but if the ohio department of
agriculture, and the USDA says these ohio grown onions are
Vidalias, I'll believe them over you, they have more experiance
and education in the field than you do.

Post a link then that shows where ohio agriculture calls them
Vidalia onions, they are simply yellow granex onions they are not
vidalias. Don't get all huffy and puffy when someone corrects you,
take it like a man and either show you are right or accept you are
wrong. sorry to make you feel so small.

Ok let me correct myself, Vidalias are gorn in GA fine, but it is a
spanish onion, as ar the Maui, and other variety, and those
(spanish)are grown everywhere, just like apples, granny smith apples
are grown in ohio, indiana, michigan, just like red Delicious are
grown all over.

So you are correct "Vidalias" are only grown in the Vidalia area, but
spanish onions, which is what "Vidalias" are, are grown everywhere
including hawaii. And having been a chef for many years, I have
worked with every variety you can imagine, and have sampled them all,
and the ones Tracy grows here locally are just as good as the
"Vidalias" .

Keith, you know he'll argue just for the sake of arguing. Most of us
that are sane here understand what you mean. You may as well let it
go, and let the troll beat his head against the bridge.

Sorry Randy Crackhead Chapman, you understood he was wrong? And he
isstill wrong but that is ok for you. now if it was me or frank or
someone who made an inncorrect statement you and your sock puppets would
be all over it. Face the facts Keith made 2 wrong statements, vidalia
onions are not grown in Ohio, and they are not spanish onions they are
Yellow Granex. Randy now suck the back end of me balls. talk about a
troll you are the troll, your post had nothing to do except inflame. so
troll this you stupid ****ing pill infested assclown.

http://w3.gwis.com/~ack/Onion.html

http://plantsdatabase.com/search.php...&submit=Search

If you'll notice, the specific name for the Vidalia onion is Allium
Cepa, and if you'll notice that just hapens to be the specif name of the
spanish onion as well. Like all plants and animals different types have
different names. The only difference between the Vidalia, the Walla
Walls, the Maui, and even the Yellow Granex are all the same, so in a
way I was right, the breed of onion ws the same, and he grows them here,
the bulbs he planted were from GA the "Vidalia" but they are grown here
in NW Ohio.

So yes you were correct, Vidalia is the name for those grown in that
region, same as the Walla Walla is named for that area, as is the Maui
named for that area, but they are all the same species as the Spanish
onion. So I was correct as well.

Have a nice day.

73 de Keith
--
KC8TCQ

Know thyself. If you need
help, call the C.I.A.
Old June 24th 04, 02:33 AM
Keith Hosman KC8TCQ

Steveo wrote:

Keith Hosman KC8TCQ wrote:
Me too..I'm eating some fresh homegrown leaf-lettuce with olive oil
and vidalia onions, garlic, parma-cheese and some hydro tomatoe's..
yum!

heheh hot pastrami and swiss on rye, would kill for a garlic onion bagel
with cream cheese and smoked salmon though.

Oh and I got my steaming cup of Jamaica Blue Mt coffee

Sounds like a party with good eats. Field day pig roast!

want to try something really good? here is a recipe I found today, tried
it out and it rocks.

Vidalia Onion Pie with Mushrooms

Substitute any mushroom for the shiitakes.

1 large Vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 large eggs
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 frozen (9-inch) deep-dish pastry shell, thawed

Sauté onion and mushrooms in hot oil in a large skillet over medium
heat 15 minutes or until tender.
Stir together eggs and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in
onion mixture. Spoon mixture into pastry shell, and place on a baking
sheet.

Bake on lower oven rack at 350F for 45 minutes or until done.

73 de Keith
--
KC8TCQ

Know thyself. If you need
help, call the C.I.A.

Old June 24th 04, 05:24 AM
Keith Hosman KC8TCQ

itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge wrote:

Keith Hosman KC8TCQ wrote in
:

http://w3.gwis.com/~ack/Onion.html

shows nothing stating yellow granex "vidalias" are spanish onions

http://plantsdatabase.com/search.php...onion&submit=S
earch

also does nothing to prove your point.

If you'll notice, the specific name for the Vidalia onion is Allium
Cepa, and if you'll notice that just hapens to be the specif name of
the spanish onion as well.

Keith,If you'll notice LOL that Allium Cepa is the species name of onions
which a spanish onion and a yellow granex both belong to. One is not born
from the other.

The Onion Plant
Family: Liliaceae
Species: Allium cepa.

" Allium cepa is the botanical name for the humble bulb onion.

Like all plants and animals different types
have different names. The only difference between the Vidalia, the
Walla Walls, the Maui, and even the Yellow Granex are all the same, so
in a way I was right,

No Keith you are not correct at all not even sorta close, yellow granex
and spanish are 2 distinct onions, one does not come from the other. Read
below from web page

"Varieties
Both fresh and storage onions come in yellow, red and white colors. This
is significant because colored onions have a chemical in their scales,
phenol, that inhibits smudge and neck rot. Sizes can vary from 1/8 inch
pearl onions to 6 pound giants. Bulb shape varies widely. The botanist
Henry Jones created nine bulb shape classifications: globe, flattened
globe, high-globe, spindle, Spanish, flat, thick-flat, Granex and top.

There are hundreds of onion types: yellow, white, red, and even brown
storage onions; specialty sweet onions like Maui, Vidalia, Walla Walla,
Arizona, and Texas Sweets; spanish onions, boiling onions, pearl onions
and creaming onions. Everyone has their favorites. "

the breed of onion ws the same, and he grows
them here, the bulbs he planted were from GA the "Vidalia" but they
are grown here in NW Ohio.

So yes you were correct, Vidalia is the name for those grown in that
region, same as the Walla Walla is named for that area, as is the Maui
named for that area, but they are all the same species as the Spanish
onion. So I was correct as well.

Keith you are 100% wrong, spanish onion is nothing but another variety of
onion, yellow granex which the vidallia is, they are seperate and
different than spanish onion which are storage onions while yellow granex
are more a fresh onion.

"Spanish Onions are a large yellow storage onion, as round as a globe.
They usually have a slightly higher water content, and so generally are
less hot, sweeter, somewhat crisper and more perishable than the storage
onion.

Have a nice day.
73 de Keith

Usually do.

just like Canine is the family, and is broken into the various species
i.e. Doberman, German Shepard, Irish Setter, ect.

The The Onion Plant
Family: Liliaceae BTW it is actually Alliaceae
Species: Allium cepa.

Now go to that site I listed, look at every one of them, it distinctly
differentiates the different species of onions with different names. the
Allium Cepa, is a "breed" of Alliaceae,just like a rottwieler is a breed
of canine.

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: cepa (KEP-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Sweet Vidalia
comments on the vidalia from this website
"On May 2, 2004, Farmerdill wrote: A 1985 hybrid yellow granex type from
K-F seeds, now offered by Sunseeds. A mild onion that runs in jumbo
size. It has very good tolerance to bolting and is adapted to short day
growing areas from Georgia to California."

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: cepa (KEP-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Yellow Granex Improved
Comments from the same website "On May 2, 2004, Farmerdill wrote:
A pungent hybrid yellow Granex from Sunseeds. Runs jumbo in size and is
adapted from Georgia to California"

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: cepa (KEP-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Harmony (spanish)
comments from the same website "On May 2, 2004, Farmerdill wrote:
A hybrid yellow sweet Spanish type onion from Crookham. This cultivar
runs jumbo to colossal in size and will store fro about four months.
Excellent tolerance to pink root. I grew hybrid Spanish
cultivars(although not this particular cultivar) in Virginia by
purchasing field grown plants from Texas and setting them in early
March. They did quite well, maturing in late June early July."

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: cepa (KEP-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Granex 33
comments about this onion on same site "On Apr 29, 2004, Farmerdill
wrote: This is one of several hybrid versions of the short day onion
Yellow Granex.These are grown extensively in Middle Georgia and are
marketed as Vidalia onions.

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: cepa (KEP-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Aranex (Granex 7092)
comments onthis onion from same site: "On Apr 30, 2004, Farmerdill
wrote: A 1999 hybrid Granex short day onion from Seminis. Has resistance
to pink root but is otherwise almost identical to Granex 33. Suitable
for "Vidalia" growers.

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: cepa (KEP-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Henry's Special
commens on same site about this onion: "On Apr 30, 2004, Farmerdill
wrote: A 1966 hybrid granex type from Arco. A short day onion that is
resistant to pink root.

and there are too many more to paste in, everyone here can go look at
the site for themselves.

http://plantsdatabase.com/search.php...nion&offset=20

It's all there in black and white. In case you were not aware, I happen
to live smack dab in the middle of agricultural country, there are
entire farms here dedicated to growing fresh produce for Campbells Soup,
Lachoy, Con-Agra. These farmers are friends, and family of mine, I
started working on the farms when I was barely even a teenager,
including planting, harvesting, and driving the procudeto market. Ever
drink a V-8? all ingredients grown here in NW Ohio.

--
KC8TCQ

Know thyself. If you need
help, call the C.I.A.
Old June 24th 04, 11:54 AM
Steveo

Keith Hosman KC8TCQ wrote:
want to try something really good? here is a recipe I found today, tried
it out and it rocks.

Thanks..that sounds good.
Old June 24th 04, 02:57 PM
Landshark

Steveo wrote:

[...]

Well Keith, it's the same principle that cb radio's are all
cb radio's, just some are made by different manufacturers.
Don't bother with him Keith, he just wants to argue, that's
all he ever does here.
I did like you're recipe on another post though, I just don't
like Mushrooms (Yuck) Something about how they grow in
crap

Landshark

--
The world is good-natured to people
who are good natured.

Old June 24th 04, 05:11 PM
Keith KC8TCQ

"Landshark" wrote in message
.. .

snip

Well Keith, it's the same principle that cb radio's are all
cb radio's, just some are made by different manufacturers.
Don't bother with him Keith, he just wants to argue, that's
all he ever does here.
I did like you're recipe on another post though, I just don't
like Mushrooms (Yuck) Something about how they grow in
crap

Landshark

Ya know, you could try some alternate items, water chestnut would probably
go pretty well with maybe some Jalapeno Peppers, with maybe some cheese
added on top.

Old June 24th 04, 07:35 PM
I Am Not George

Steveo wrote:

[...]

stick an onion up your transsexual ass fagshark

I did like you're recipe on another post though, I just don't
like Mushrooms (Yuck) Something about how they grow in
crap

Landshark

I needed to post something in this thread or you'll stop thinking I am george lol