Old October 27th 04, 04:59 PM
Stephen

Default FCC fears in the 1960's?

Hey, has anyone who was into CB or walkie talkies back in the mid
1960's ever heard of rumors that an FCC operative who went by a code
name of "The Colonel" was in the midwest, looking for people who
operated on the illegal basement channels (to be specific, 20 below
channel 1)?

I think that all of us had fears (even paranoia) about the FCC back
then, and we made sure we had our licenses, and obeyed the rules while
on the CB. Nevertheless, I was fascinated by chatter back then over
this so called "Colonel", and wonder if anyone out here heard the same
rumors (or knows anything factual)? Thanks

-Stephen
Old October 27th 04, 11:25 PM
OH YEAH

"Stephen" wrote in message
om...
Hey, has anyone who was into CB or walkie talkies back in the mid
1960's ever heard of rumors that an FCC operative who went by a code
name of "The Colonel" was in the midwest, looking for people who
operated on the illegal basement channels (to be specific, 20 below
channel 1)?

I think that all of us had fears (even paranoia) about the FCC back
then, and we made sure we had our licenses, and obeyed the rules while
on the CB. Nevertheless, I was fascinated by chatter back then over
this so called "Colonel", and wonder if anyone out here heard the same
rumors (or knows anything factual)? Thanks

-Stephen

Don't know about the Colonel, but here it was "Uncle Charley" and they DID
nab a few people for running power. Not once but a few times.
They fined the operators and confiscated all equipment.

TRM

Old October 27th 04, 11:46 PM
Steveo

"OH YEAH" wrote:
"Stephen" wrote in message
om...
Hey, has anyone who was into CB or walkie talkies back in the mid
1960's ever heard of rumors that an FCC operative who went by a code
name of "The Colonel" was in the midwest, looking for people who
operated on the illegal basement channels (to be specific, 20 below
channel 1)?

I think that all of us had fears (even paranoia) about the FCC back
then, and we made sure we had our licenses, and obeyed the rules while
on the CB. Nevertheless, I was fascinated by chatter back then over
this so called "Colonel", and wonder if anyone out here heard the same
rumors (or knows anything factual)? Thanks

-Stephen

Don't know about the Colonel, but here it was "Uncle Charley" and they
DID nab a few people for running power. Not once but a few times.
They fined the operators and confiscated all equipment.

Yep, -Charley- was the handle we used for them in Ohio too, back in
the CB boom era. IIRC we were always looking for vans that looked like
pin cushions. lol

I can recall searching for someone to talk to on CB in the late 60's to
early 70's. Had my tube'r Lafayette and a droopy drawers on the chimney,
that my dad was nice enough to install for me.

Those were simpler times, but a little Mayberry never hurt anyone.
Old October 28th 04, 03:42 PM
Stephen

Thanks for the replies. Yes, UNCLE CHARLIE was know by everyone, and
he did get tough. But, I just wondered if the infamous "COLONEL" was
known by anyone else in any other area. Thanks!

Old October 28th 04, 04:30 PM
harvey

or should i say who he thinks in his mind i am...
harv

Old October 28th 04, 04:55 PM
Steveo

"harvey" wrote:
or should i say who he thinks in his mind i am...
harv

Huh?
Old October 28th 04, 08:08 PM
harvey

havnt a clue how that got there...LOL
harv

Old October 28th 04, 11:11 PM
M-Tech

The "Colonel" after having a dismal career trying to apprehend fugative
cb'ers, decided to close up shop and start a "fast-food style" chicken
resturant:-)

Seriously, don't you mean "Charlie"? That's what we always called the FCC
anyway.

Don

om...

Old October 29th 04, 03:25 PM
Stephen

No, I meant THE COLONEL, as being seperate from Uncle Charlie. From
what I heard back in those days, THE COLONEL operated some activity on
those basement channels, and when people started going there, it
caused some friction. Thus, the fears and rumors about the COLONEL,
who for some reason was bent on getting anyone who operated on -20 (20
below 1). Midwest. Under the supervision of one of my older CB
friends, who got me started in CB, we got clever and found that by
switching the transmit and receive crystals in our walkie talkies, we
got a quiet and more private channel. Only problem was, according to
his freq counter, we were 20 below 1.

Again, nothing for certain, but it was all the talk of our area back
then...and YES, I did hear activity on that frequency.

-Stephen