Old November 21st 04, 01:15 PM
Karl Bakker

Default SSB or Single Side Band?

Howdy! I've seen CB radios that have SSB as well. However, I don't
understand this very well. That is, what exactly can you do with SSB?
How far does it reach out? What kind of license do you need to use it?
What kind of range do you get with a mobile unit? A base unit? I know
these are a lot of questions; however, I would appreciate your views
and information. Always, Karl
Old November 21st 04, 02:03 PM
Frank Gilliland

On 21 Nov 2004 05:15:32 -0800, (Karl Bakker)
wrote in :

Howdy! I've seen CB radios that have SSB as well. However, I don't
understand this very well. That is, what exactly can you do with SSB?
How far does it reach out? What kind of license do you need to use it?
What kind of range do you get with a mobile unit? A base unit? I know
these are a lot of questions; however, I would appreciate your views
and information. Always, Karl

SSB is a type of modulation, like AM and FM. Most CB radios use AM
only.

SSB uses half the bandwidth, so you can cram two SSB 'channels' into
the space of one AM channel. Those SSB channels actually use the same
channel frequency as the AM channels but are divided between the upper
and lower half of the channel, or USB and LSB (Upper Sideband and
Lower SideBand).

One advantage of SSB is that it receives half as much noise as AM
because it uses only half the bandwidth.

Another advantage is that you have more effective power with SSB. Watt
for watt, SSB has about 9 times the power of AM.

SSB radios are more expensive, but you don't have to change the
antenna or anything else. You -do- have to use one more knob, the
'clarifier', which makes voices sound normal instead of like ducks.

Range for any mode depends mostly on your antenna and your terrain,
but with any given antenna the range using SSB will usually be several
times greater than using AM.

Legal power for CB radio is limited to 4 watts AM or 12 watts SSB. You
don't need a license for CB regardless of whether you use AM or SSB.

Hope that helps.

Old November 21st 04, 02:25 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 06:03:25 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote in
:

snip
Legal power for CB radio is limited to 4 watts AM or 12 watts SSB. You
don't need a license for CB regardless of whether you use AM or SSB.

The laws may be different in Australia.

Old November 22nd 04, 01:13 AM
jim

wrote in :

[...]

hey frank, the above poster asks about single side band. have you ever
come across double side band?
Old November 22nd 04, 01:44 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 01:13:57 GMT, jim wrote
in :

snip
hey frank, the above poster asks about single side band. have you ever
come across double side band?

On a CB? Nope, not unless they were accompanied by a carrier.

Old November 22nd 04, 03:51 AM
OZARK333

DSB does exist.

"Got RF?"
Old November 22nd 04, 04:16 AM
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Ozark 333:

Yes it does. My ol friend "Ray" Buckshot use to raise havic with the
local SSB guys with a old Imperal Rang Gain, that had DSB, it
transmitted on both uper and lower Side Bands at the same time.

Ray would record the SSB stations while in the AM Mode so the stations
where not tuned in and of course sounded like Donld Duck. Then replaying
the recorded SSB stations back out on DSB. No matter what you did you
could not tune in the stations that ray was playing back. It throw me
for a while, until I called Ray up and asked what the heck he was doing.
We had a good laugh!

Other radios had a DSB output also. I believe the Trams did until the
Tram 201 and 201A came out.

One of the first radios to have true single sideband was the Johnson 350
a two channel SSB only radio, and the Mark Sidewinder 27, a 6 channel
radio, with no S-Meter, made by Dyascan I believe.

General Radiotelephone came out with the SB-72 that offered true Single
Side Band, and had a Collins Mechnical Filter in the radio.

Jay in the Mojave

OZARK333 wrote:

DSB does exist.

"Got RF?"

Old November 22nd 04, 07:16 AM
SideBand

jim wrote:

hey frank, the above poster asks about single side band. have you ever
come across double side band?

Yeah, it's called AM.
Old November 22nd 04, 07:19 AM
SideBand

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
[...]

OZARK333 wrote:

DSB does exist.

"Got RF?"

Put a switch in the AM Carrier adjustment circuit to turn off the
carrier on AM, and you've got DSB... Easy as pie.

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Muilti band quad with a single loop? tj Antenna 2 July 21st 04 07:24 PM
Side Band Chris CB 8 July 9th 04 12:45 AM
More Truckers Busted Using Modified CB's on Ham 10m Band Leland C. Scott CB 122 June 4th 04 12:51 PM