Old July 31st 05, 06:56 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:54:05 -0400, wrote in
:

If you move the radio from location to location just check the
reading. If it's 2:1 or lower don't worry about it.

Thanks,
I have an SWR meter from radio shack that I've used in the past. I know how
to use it. My problem is that I'll be in a different truck everyday and
wont be able to set the SWR the way I want to. On Monday I'm gonna call the
cb shop that I saw online and ask them about the SWR match box. Below is a
cut and paste of this product. Let me know if this will set the SWR without
having to mess with the antenna's.

"Don't "Live with" High SWR Readings! This Matcher will tune your SWR very
low, simply insert inline between radio & Antenna. Has 2 Adjustment knobs.
Perfect for Radios with wide channel coverage, indoor antennas, non-tunable
mobile antennas, or for using 10 thru 12 meters off 1 antenna. Handles 80w
pep. Requires either an SWR meter built into radio, or an optional SWR
meter between Radio & Matcher."

This is a line flattener.

.....oh brother, more voodoo CB terminology.

If the line has standing waves on it then it isn't flat, and no
matching device on the radio end can reduce or eliminate the line-load
mismatch causing the standing waves. The only "line flattener" is a
LOAD impedance that matches the LINE impedance. You can't do that at
the radio.

They can be problematic in that one of the
knobs can be bumped and give you an abnormally high SWR reading.
Much higher than the antenna itself.

Or the antenna can hit a tree and fall off, or the coax could get
jammed in the door, or the radio's power leads could be accidently
shorted by a sharp edge under the dash.......

You also will double the possibility of a loose coax connector, and
don't forget that moving the setup will require more time and care.

Oh, the turmoil of it all! So why even bother using the CB in the
first place if there's going to be the possibility of a problem? If
you want to discourage the guy from using a matching device then at
least give him some -valid- reasons. Like, you probably won't notice
any difference if the SWR is 3:1 and not 1:1, or that the importance
of SWR is moot when compared to field strength, or that any matching
device isn't going to accomplish squat with a cigarette-lighter radio
and a mag-mount antenna.

This isn't exactly a performance rig, and the fact is that SWR isn't
going to tell you anything -- if you manage to get it to 1:1 you'll
get a warm-fuzzy, but that's about it. Just plug it in and talk. If
someone hears you, great. If they don't, there's probably nothing you
can do short of a full and proper install that will get you heard.

Old July 31st 05, 07:11 AM
John Smith

Frank:

Yep. The good old "hair splitters" come crawling out now. Fact is, and he
made them clear!, the company has the antenna and coax, it is a give, he will
switching trucks, no time and doesn't wanna pay shop fees with every run, load,
etc...

The match box is fine, guarantees he will not generate a bunch of shop costs...

Any sensible person knows it is a no brainer...

He doesn't want to get a damn engineering degree, he wants to use it...
John

News==----
Newsgroups

Old July 31st 05, 11:01 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:11:03 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

Yep. The good old "hair splitters" come crawling out now. Fact is, and he
made them clear!, the company has the antenna and coax, it is a give, he will
switching trucks, no time and doesn't wanna pay shop fees with every run, load,
etc...

The match box is fine, guarantees he will not generate a bunch of shop costs...

It guarantees nothing of the sort, since any improvement is marginal
at best..... more than likely he wouldn't notice the difference in a
blind comparison. What he -will- notice is that his bandwidth is now
more limited (actually -increasing- SWR on the high and low end of the
band) because those matchboxes make pretty good preselectors.

Any sensible person knows it is a no brainer...

Any sensible person would want to know if he's wasting his money on a
gimmick that sounds good in theory (and marketing) but does little or
nothing for his intended application.

He doesn't want to get a damn engineering degree, he wants to use it...

Maybe you missed this part:

Old July 31st 05, 02:12 PM
Professor

I certainly agree with John... the matchbox is not a bad way to go.
Frank, as usual... you are unecessarily negative... and wrong.

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old July 31st 05, 02:50 PM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:56:21 -0700, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

[...]

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/ecat/gs/LF-2040.html

http://www.listserve.com/archives/co.../msg00270.html

http://www.listserve.com/archives/co.../msg00270.html

http://www.co.missoula.mt.us/acs/radios/HF-8040.htm

http://www.valcom.ca/Guelph/products...-30_photo.html

Yup. Sure looks like the term "Line Flattener" is "more voodoo CB
terminology"

Old July 31st 05, 04:36 PM
John Smith

tnom:

Yep, I always worry about terminology...
It will allow you to tune the antenna/coax from a 5:1 to a 1:1 and run your
transceiver into it--WITHOUT BURNING OUT THE FINALS.

The fact that, that is better than replacing finals on a daily basis may not
appeal to some--they can chose to NOT use one and burn out their finals, daily,
if they chose...

Better yet, he can drop into the radio shop on board a truck stop, explain he
does not have time, or the permission of the truck owners to start revamping
their antennas and coax--I am sure the tech will see it as a no-brainer--RUN A
MATCH BOX!

Hey, it is america, you can take your choice...

John

Old July 31st 05, 08:06 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 09:50:48 -0400, wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Why don't you google "bird watts"? You'll get more hits than "line
flattener".

Old July 31st 05, 08:12 PM
Frank Gilliland

On 31 Jul 2005 06:12:17 -0700, "Professor"
wrote in
.com:

I certainly agree with John... the matchbox is not a bad way to go.
Frank, as usual... you are unecessarily negative... and wrong.

Such a remark doesn't mean much coming from someone who built and sold
hacked amps that he claimed were "linear" but were biased Class C,
then defends his ignorance by claiming that linearity isn't required.
BTW, who let you out of your cage?

Old July 31st 05, 08:58 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:36:55 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

tnom:

Yep, I always worry about terminology...
It will allow you to tune the antenna/coax from a 5:1 to a 1:1 and run your
transceiver into it--WITHOUT BURNING OUT THE FINALS.

Guess what, John: Most of the finals used in CB radios today (and for
the past 20+ years) can withstand SWR of 30:1 indefinitely. And that
includes the power transistors used in amps, too.

The fact that, that is better than replacing finals on a daily basis may not
appeal to some--they can chose to NOT use one and burn out their finals, daily,
if they chose...

Resorting to scare tactics? Gee, I don't use a matchbox and the final
in my rig is just fine. In fact, I've -never- blown a final except for
once when the coax connector on the radio end was shorted, but I don't
think a matchbox would have fixed that problem..... do you?

Better yet, he can drop into the radio shop on board a truck stop, explain he
does not have time, or the permission of the truck owners to start revamping
their antennas and coax--

Why stop there? Tell him the -truth-, John: If he doesn't run a
matchbox he'll have to hire an engineer at $200/hr to locate the
optimum location on the truck for the antenna, reinstall the whole
system, tune it up with his $20k HP comm analyzer, etc.....

Judas Priest, it's just a CB radio! Just plug it in and talk!

I am sure the tech will see it as a no-brainer--RUN A
MATCH BOX!

Once again there's that phrase most favored by those who can't make a
logical argument: "It's a no-brainer". Well, since the CB was first
established over 45 years ago the overwhelming majority of CBers have
run their rigs -WITHOUT- a matchbox and they worked just fine. Sorry,
it's not a "no-brainer", but it's about as close as you can get. And
if -you- can't figure it out then apparently a "no-brainer" is beyond
your level of comprehension.

Old July 31st 05, 09:18 PM

This is a line flattener.

....oh brother, more voodoo CB terminology.

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/ecat/gs/LF-2040.html

http://www.listserve.com/archives/co.../msg00270.html

http://www.listserve.com/archives/co.../msg00270.html

http://www.co.missoula.mt.us/acs/radios/HF-8040.htm

http://www.valcom.ca/Guelph/products...-30_photo.html

Yup. Sure looks like the term "Line Flattener" is "more voodoo CB
terminology"

Why don't you google "bird watts"? You'll get more hits than "line
flattener".

Probably because I'm not very concerned with
semantics..............You need to check your facts before you start
posturing and posting. You end up looking like a fool when you're
corrected.