Old July 31st 05, 09:52 PM
John Smith

Frank:

With so many guys like you around, it may seem confusing...

All he needs do is check with a tech...

End of story...

John

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:36:55 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

tnom:

Yep, I always worry about terminology...
It will allow you to tune the antenna/coax from a 5:1 to a 1:1 and run your
transceiver into it--WITHOUT BURNING OUT THE FINALS.

Guess what, John: Most of the finals used in CB radios today (and for
the past 20+ years) can withstand SWR of 30:1 indefinitely. And that
includes the power transistors used in amps, too.

The fact that, that is better than replacing finals on a daily basis may not
appeal to some--they can chose to NOT use one and burn out their finals,
daily,
if they chose...

Resorting to scare tactics? Gee, I don't use a matchbox and the final
in my rig is just fine. In fact, I've -never- blown a final except for
once when the coax connector on the radio end was shorted, but I don't
think a matchbox would have fixed that problem..... do you?

Better yet, he can drop into the radio shop on board a truck stop, explain he
does not have time, or the permission of the truck owners to start revamping
their antennas and coax--

Why stop there? Tell him the -truth-, John: If he doesn't run a
matchbox he'll have to hire an engineer at $200/hr to locate the
optimum location on the truck for the antenna, reinstall the whole
system, tune it up with his $20k HP comm analyzer, etc.....

Judas Priest, it's just a CB radio! Just plug it in and talk!

I am sure the tech will see it as a no-brainer--RUN A
MATCH BOX!

Once again there's that phrase most favored by those who can't make a
logical argument: "It's a no-brainer". Well, since the CB was first
established over 45 years ago the overwhelming majority of CBers have
run their rigs -WITHOUT- a matchbox and they worked just fine. Sorry,
it's not a "no-brainer", but it's about as close as you can get. And
if -you- can't figure it out then apparently a "no-brainer" is beyond
your level of comprehension.

News==----
Newsgroups

Old July 31st 05, 10:06 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:52:44 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

With so many guys like you around, it may seem confusing...

All he needs do is check with a tech...

He did, and as a tech I gave him my advice. I also gave him my advice
as an EE. The advice is the same -- don't waste your time and money on
gimmicks, just plug it in and start talking.

End of story...

I doubt it.

Old July 31st 05, 10:11 PM
John Smith

Frank:

If you were EVER a poor tech, you were a bad one, I know you are a damn liar!

When he asked a real tech they are going to tell him he would be an idiot to
key down on mere 5:1 and hope to not damage his radio in relative short order.

When he asks a tech, he will also know for certain NEVER to bother with your
advice again...

How many other peoples radios have you burnt up with your poor advice, I just
wonder...

Old July 31st 05, 10:24 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:18:35 -0400, wrote in
:

This is a line flattener.

....oh brother, more voodoo CB terminology.

http://www.rockwellcollins.com/ecat/gs/LF-2040.html

http://www.listserve.com/archives/co.../msg00270.html

http://www.listserve.com/archives/co.../msg00270.html

http://www.co.missoula.mt.us/acs/radios/HF-8040.htm

http://www.valcom.ca/Guelph/products...-30_photo.html

Yup. Sure looks like the term "Line Flattener" is "more voodoo CB
terminology"

Why don't you google "bird watts"? You'll get more hits than "line
flattener".

Probably because I'm not very concerned with
semantics.......

That much is obvious.

.......You need to check your facts before you start
posturing and posting. You end up looking like a fool when you're
corrected.

Where was I corrected? You posted links to devices that -are- line
flatteners; i.e, they convert signal impedance to the characteristic
impedance of the transmission line. But the topic of -this- discussion
is a cheap little box that does nothing more than tune a conjugate
match. The difference is that a line flattener eliminates standing
waves on the line. This matchbox does nothing of the sort. It just
tunes out any reactance in the signal so the radio doesn't notice the
standing waves. Any line-load mismatch still exists, as does the
reflected power on the line. By definition, it does -not- 'flatten'
the line. It is not a line flattener. In your own words, "you need to

Old July 31st 05, 10:27 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:11:23 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

If you were EVER a poor tech, you were a bad one, I know you are a damn liar!

Oh gee, another sooth-sayer. What else does your crystal ball tell
you?

When he asked a real tech they are going to tell him he would be an idiot to
key down on mere 5:1 and hope to not damage his radio in relative short order.

I didn't see any part of his posts where he said his SWR was 5:1. Is
that something you divined from your crystal ball?

When he asks a tech, he will also know for certain NEVER to bother with your
advice again...

How many other peoples radios have you burnt up with your poor advice, I just
wonder...

I have absolutely no doubt that you wonder about a lot of things.

Old July 31st 05, 10:34 PM
John Smith

Frank:

I will put it in simple words for you:

"We don't give a damn what they call a "match box"/"line flattener."!

Just think of it as a device to keep you from cooking the finals!
They work well for that purpose!

John

news

Old July 31st 05, 10:50 PM
Professor

Now you got Frank all upset...LOL

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Old July 31st 05, 10:57 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:34:36 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

I will put it in simple words for you:

"We don't give a damn what they call a "match box"/"line flattener."!

And that's why there is so much CB mythology -- terminology born of
ignorance -- floating around and confusing people that are new to the
hobby. It's great for voodoo techs who make gobs of money by selling
worthless gimmicks and trashing good radios with "swang" mods, but
what do you care? You don't give a damn.

Just think of it as a device to keep you from cooking the finals!
They work well for that purpose!

Hundreds of thousands (probably millions) of CB radios in circulation
that work just fine without a matchbox and have never "cooked" their
finals. I'm absolutely positive that many of them have been hooked up
to antennas that weren't exactly perfect, have been run with high SWR,
and generally well abused. Yet despite your assertion that this guy is
going to blow his final without a matchbox, all of those radios still
work.

This concept is so simple it can be understood by an autistic turnip.
So what's -your- excuse?

John

That's where your opinions belong.

Old July 31st 05, 11:04 PM
John Smith

Professor:

Frank is an idiot, and rather like a piece of used gum you step on, on a hot
day--can't get it off yer shoe!

ROFLOL!!!!!!

John

oups.com...

Old July 31st 05, 11:08 PM
John Smith

Frank:

OK, you didn't get it the last time I tried, let me be a bit more blunt:

If, at this time, any are left here which do not realize you are an idiot--they
are a BIGGER IDIOT THAN YOU!