Old August 1st 05, 10:14 PM
John Smith

Frank:

Obviously you need to go back and read his original post, all the other guys
here got it I think...

Look, you are now just standing there like an idiot with his pants pulled
down...

John

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 07:55:47 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

U R an idiot...

U can't tell the difference between forced to use an "L-Match" to be able to
use a radio and thinking it is a "magic device."

Focus, "John"..... where, in any of his posts, did he say he was being
"forced" to use any type of matching device? He didn't.

Troll? I was hoping you were just a troll instead of a ma'roon! At least a
troll can be communicated with...

So you wrote the book on trolls?

News==----
Newsgroups

Old August 1st 05, 10:21 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:14:25 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

Obviously you need to go back and read his original post, all the other guys
here got it I think...

Look, you are now just standing there like an idiot with his pants pulled
down...

Blah, blah, blah. Stay on topic. Once again, where did he say he was
being "forced" to use any type of matching device? Where did he say
his SWR was 5:1? And why can't you address the fact that millions of
CBers don't use a matchbox yet don't blow their finals?

Old August 1st 05, 10:31 PM
John Smith

Frank:

Go home fool, there isn't anyone left here now wondering if you are a ma'roon,
you have shown all... you can hang around and try to trick the newcomers, I
guess...

Old August 1st 05, 10:38 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:31:01 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

Go home fool, there isn't anyone left here now wondering if you are a ma'roon,
you have shown all... you can hang around and try to trick the newcomers, I
guess...

Let's try this again, but this time I'll seperate the issues so you
don't get confused:

1) Where did the original poster say he was being "forced" to use any
type of matching device?

2) Where did the original poster say his SWR was 5:1?

3) Since very few CBers use a matchbox, why don't the millions of
other CB radios have blown finals?

Now is -that- too hard for you to comprehend? You made the claims, now
back them up.

Old August 1st 05, 10:46 PM
John Smith

Frank:

FOOL!!!

His original post makes ALL of that clear, if not, one or two of his other
posts after will fill you in...

Old August 1st 05, 11:25 PM
U-Know-Who

wrote in message

Hams are, by definition, amateurs. Radio has been my -profession- for
about 25 years, including a BS in EE from EWU (including a minor in
communications). I worked as a BE for about 12 years, before that at a
radio comm shop (while going to college), and before that as a radio
tech in the USMC (MOS 2841). Nowdays I have my own part-time shop for
both radio and audio equipment, and do some bartending on the side
(better perks than any radio work!).

Oh yeah..... and I've been a CBer since I was about 10.

You left out the whole truth. In addition to your one sided horn
blowing of above......................

1. At age 10 you decided that you were tired of being beat. You
learned to trick other kids into believing that you had a value other
than that of a punching bag. You accomplished this by starting to
go down a path of deceit that you continue to go down today.

2. At age 33 you decided you'd give up on girls. You continue to be
a virgin to this day. ( not counting farm animals)

3. At the advent of the Internet you discovered that you could puff
up your low self esteem through a series of put down others to inflate
yourself posts. You quickly learned that the truth is not this issue.
All that matters is to make yourself look good. Just spew a bunch of
non related technical matter into a post and no one will be the wiser.

There are more. These are just the obvious ones. If others would like,
they can continue the list. It shouldn't be to difficult.

4............

5..........

ect.

Is your name "ect"?

Old August 1st 05, 11:45 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:46:55 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

Frank:

FOOL!!!

His original post makes ALL of that clear, if not, one or two of his other
posts after will fill you in...

Well, let's find out just what he said, shall we?

=====
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:45:50 -0500, driver42 wrote
in :

Hi,
If I'm not able to set the SWR in the trucks that I drive will it hurt the
radio or just give me decreased range?

=====

I don't see anything about a 5:1 SWR.

I don't see anything about being "forced" to use a matching device.

Now is a good time to dispell more CB mythology: Many of you already
know that in order to double your range you need -four- times the
power. But it also works the other way -- if you reduce your power to
one fourth (i.e, you are losing 3/4 of your power, which would mean a
pretty high SWR) you have -only- decreased your range by one half. So
an SWR of 2:1 or 3:1 (or, conversely, squeezing a couple extra watts
with a tweak-n-peak) isn't going to have a noticable effect on your
range.

Let's continue with the scenario that you are losing 3 watts (3/4 of
your power) due purely to reflection. Ok, so that power gets dumped
back into the final where it's dissipated as heat. That's three extra
watts in a transistor conservatively rated to handle a certain amount
of -continuous- heat dissipation, which is usually something along the
lines of 4 watts. Mind you that 3 or 4 watts isn't a whole lot of
power; if the heat sink can handle 4 watts without a problem then an
extra 3 watts isn't exactly going to melt the knobs. Regardless, the
final -isn't- dissipating this heat continuously (unless the OP is one
of those asshole broadcast types that keys down for half an hour), so
normal operation certainly isn't going to "cook" the transistor. And I
already mentioned that these transistors are rated to handle 30:1 SWR
-continuously- without damage.

If you want proof of these FACTS then feel free to refer to the data
sheets for the final transistors most commonly used in CB finals.

=====
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:27:48 -0500, driver42 wrote
in :

My problem is that I'll be moving from truck to truck so I wont have
time to set the SWR correctly. Most of our trucks have factory installed
double antenna's which I'm not too thrilled about.

=====

I don't see anything about a 5:1 SWR.

I don't see anything about being "forced" to use a matching device.

Looks to me like he said the trucks already have antennas installed.
Assuming they are CB antennas, it's more than likely that the antennas
have already been trimmed for use with a 50-ohm radio (since all CB
radios are 50-ohm radios). Unless something is broke, the antennas are
probably going to give a reasonably good match to -whatever- radio he
picks (because, once again, all CB radios are 50-ohm radios).

=====
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:33:43 -0500, driver42 wrote
in :

My problem is that I'll be in a different truck everyday and
wont be able to set the SWR the way I want to.

=====

I don't see anything about a 5:1 SWR.

I don't see anything about being "forced" to use a matching device.

What I -do- see is concern about setting the SWR, which is another
mythconception (and not just with CBers but with a lot of hams). A 1:1
SWR does -NOT- mean the antenna is operating at it's best efficiency.
It -DOES- mean that the load is 50 ohms nonreactive. But a 50 ohm
nonreactive load can be darn near anything: a carbon resistor, a dummy
load, a bad coax working as a tuned stub, or even a corroded 9' whip
with a mount caked in mud (seen both scenarios firsthand).

As I stated before, an SWR meter is a go/no-go meter. If it normally
reads 2:1 then suddenly jumps to 6:1, that's a good indication that
something has gone wrong with the antenna or coax. And -THAT'S- what
an SWR meter is good for..... a "something's wrong" meter (IMO, they
should probably be replaced with idiot lights like those in a car.)

If you want to tune your antenna for best efficiency you -NEED- to use
a field strenght meter. Period.

Now........ once again........

Old August 1st 05, 11:49 PM
U-Know-Who

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:36:55 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

tnom:

Yep, I always worry about terminology...
It will allow you to tune the antenna/coax from a 5:1 to a 1:1 and run
your
transceiver into it--WITHOUT BURNING OUT THE FINALS.

Guess what, John: Most of the finals used in CB radios today (and for
the past 20+ years) can withstand SWR of 30:1 indefinitely. And that
includes the power transistors used in amps, too.

Frank, to be fair, you must now finish this statement. Even at 3 watts, some
of these tiny radios and chassis don't have enough mass to dissipate the
heat that will be created by the miss-match. Sure, you can add a larger sink
and forced air cooling, but stock, they won't take it. And it's never a bad
idea to check the heat sink and mica insulator and replace the grease with
Arctic Silver 5 or some comparable superior thermal compound. I lost an
MRF477 due to improper installation by the manufacturer. The screw had been
stripped and was not making proper contact with the heat sink, and that was
with a reasonable SWR.

Old August 2nd 05, 12:10 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:49:22 GMT, "U-Know-Who"
wrote in :

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 08:36:55 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote in
:

tnom:

Yep, I always worry about terminology...
It will allow you to tune the antenna/coax from a 5:1 to a 1:1 and run
your
transceiver into it--WITHOUT BURNING OUT THE FINALS.

Guess what, John: Most of the finals used in CB radios today (and for
the past 20+ years) can withstand SWR of 30:1 indefinitely. And that
includes the power transistors used in amps, too.

Frank, to be fair, you must now finish this statement. Even at 3 watts, some
of these tiny radios and chassis don't have enough mass to dissipate the
heat that will be created by the miss-match. Sure, you can add a larger sink
and forced air cooling, but stock, they won't take it.

I have yet to see a CB radio that couldn't handle a 3:1 SWR (unless it
was improperly installed, as you mention below). And I know that those
plastic Cobra 19's and those micro-Midlands can be keyed at a normal
duty cycle without -anything- hooked up to the antenna jack. Some of
the older radios are a bit fussy, especially those with the 2SC799.
But those are becoming quite rare -- probably for just that reason.
The 2SC2078 and other modern CB finals are solid transistors that are
pretty darn hard to blow, with or -without- a heatsink (the TO-220
case dissipates quite a bit of heat all by itself).

And it's never a bad
idea to check the heat sink and mica insulator and replace the grease with
Arctic Silver 5 or some comparable superior thermal compound. I lost an
MRF477 due to improper installation by the manufacturer. The screw had been
stripped and was not making proper contact with the heat sink, and that was
with a reasonable SWR.

I have seen a few Unidens with those thick, grey, rubber heat-sink
insulators -- worthless crap like that shouldn't have even been
installed at the factory. Another problem I've seen is amp junkies
(audio and radio) who replace their own transistors and use -WAY- too
much heat sink grease. They were never taught that it's only meant to
fill the air gaps where there's no direct contact -- IOW, just a
little dab'll do ya. But I will qualify my statement to say that the
RF transistors are rated for continuous 30:1 SWR -only- when they have
a sufficient heatsink.