RadioBanter

-   -   FAQ (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/80308-re-faq.html)

Cmdr Buzz Corey October 29th 05 06:10 AM

DrDeath wrote:

I don't need to look up any of those items.
I am in the process of building a ssb radio to match the linear I built last
year.

Sure you are.

Cmdr Buzz Corey October 29th 05 06:14 AM

DrDeath wrote:

I don't need to look up any of those items.
I am in the process of building a ssb radio to match the linear I built last
year. Though I am certain I spend a great deal less time working on those
types of projects as I have other interests in my life.

Care to give some details like what method of SSB generation this here
radio will use? Will this be a transmitter or tranceiver? What will the
IF frequency be? To go with your linear? So you are just another law
breaking cber I see.

Peter October 29th 05 06:25 AM

"Walt Davidson" wrote...
On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:12:56 +0100, "The Magnum"
wrote:

Do you know, in all my years of CB radio use ive never actually heard anyone
talk like that on the CB. Ive been on since 1979 (not continuously, i do let
go the mic occasionally ;o) The only people who talk like that are people
who have no real idea of CB and are just taking the Mick. Am i wrong?? do
people talk like that on the CB where you live?? Let us know where these
people are so we can avoid them ....

Everyone on CB in the Cardiff and Swansea areas talks like that.

Except that in the Cardiff area, they don't have "handles" ... they
have "angles". As in, "The angle by yer would be Smokey Joe, and the
personal would be Dai".

I have heard similar things in other parts of the country. In some cases, it may be
from someone with a speech problem. It is possible that people have heard it and
copied it just to take the pss.

Around here, you can hear differences in accents with people just a few miles apart. In this
small town people often have a broad accent. In another town, only about 6 miles away, the
accent is not so strong. Then, there is the city accent.
Those in the city are often refered to as "Di-Dahs", and it is not uncommon to hear people
immitate certain words with other local accents.

Depending on where he is and who is present, my old man tends to switch accents or
put on some "posh" accent. When visiting family around his home town (my birth town), he
tends to go all "ooh-aahh" farmer Joe. When visiting us, he tends to fake certain words as
if to act "upper-class".
There are certain words which only seem to be used locally, and words that are pronounced
in totally different ways, so he starts things off. However, having been brought up with a
mixture of accents, my Son has a great time with this. Nobody is safe from his mimicking.
When my children get going together with funny voices and accents, they are a real hoot to
listen to.

There are also some words which tend to have my children in fits of laughter... like hospice.
If you don't see the joke, don't worry, it's all in the accent...

Hoss: Four legged animal seen running in the Grand National.

Regards,
Peter.

Peter October 29th 05 06:25 AM

"Polymath" wrote...
Unbeknown to me, this thread had already been cross-posted to
the CB groups, and I would have removed that cross-posting
had I been aware of it.

Why, so that you can abuse people behind their back? What would be the point
of replying to someone, but cutting out the group that the OP uses?

In respect of that, I apologise if my remarks have caused
any offence to the CB community.

I would bet that, if this was cross-posted to *real" tech groups, many qualified
engineers would also be offended by your suggestion that you are a "higher"
level of person.

However, I do not withdraw my
remarks - they are my opinion as to the relative
standing of Radio Hams and of CB Radio
enthusiasts where the playing-field is that of Radio
Hams.

Playing field? So this is nothing more than a game to you, see who can cause the
most offence.

Your problem is that you are blaming the wrong people.
Maybe this is all just an excuse, a cover for your hatred of CB, nothing to do with
Amateur rules. Otherwise you would direct your comments and anger at those
making the changes.

However, having said that, the material quoted below
serves, I think, to illustrate quite well the
intellectual standing of CB Radio enthusiasts
upon which I have commented.....

You write a message which anyone of at least average intelligence will know will offend
certain groups of people, then pretend to be shocked when some respond angrily. You
may be a Ham, but that doesn't mean you can act.

Before putting the angry response down to "CB mentality", take a look through the Google
archives at all the serious abuse sent to newsgroups by some licensed Amateurs.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter October 29th 05 06:25 AM

"Polymath" wrote...
Because although CBers are in a different intellectual
class to Radio Hams, it is neither my wish to insult
them nor to enter into a discourse with them.

NO...
It IS your intention to insult them, just behind their backs so you run less risk
of them replying. Your post was not really intended as an "FAQ", it was purely
a relatively "safe" release for your personal anger.

Wuss.

CBers have the right to besport their habits in the
appropriate place as do all the lower classes, which
in this context is rrcb (and urrcb).

If you must start seeing this as a class system, look up "Amateur" in a dictionary.
Please consider the meaning of the word before suggesting that an "Amateur" is
above the professionals who design and build equipment to the standards set by
Governments, standards far above that required by an *amateur* producing
equipment for his own personal use.

A CB Radio hobbyist, on the other hand, sees no difference between
a Ham Radio licence and a CB Radio licence. To him, they are
sisters-under-the-skin. Wrongly, the CB Radio Hobbyist then
tries to classify himself as the equal of the Radio
Ham when, in fact, he is nothing of the kind. A sure sign of
a CB Radio hobbyist is if he holds, or has ever held, a licence
issued under the gangrenous degeneration that is the
M3/CB Fools' Licence scheme.

-----ooooo-----

One group of people who claim to be of the standard of
Radio Hams but who are in reality nothing more than an
apology for the failure of a CBer are those class B
licensees who falsely proclaimed that they were against
the use of a Morse Test to control access to the HF
bands, until, that is, a test was introduced at their
intellectual level, the intellectual level of 6-year-olds.

6 year-olds simply lack the mathematical tool kit to
enable them to handle even the simplest algebraic manipulation
for Ohm's Law and thus, the disgraceful Class Ber's in
the aforementioned category are not Radio Hams by any stretch
of the imagination!

Comparing, as you call them, "disgraceful Class Ber's" to 6 year old children is clearly
intended to insult people.

Please think before displaying such ignorance and stupidity by blaming CBers for the rules...
they have absolutely NO CONTROL over such matters. CBers neither set the rules nor claim to
represent "members", that woukld be Ofcom and the RSGB.

CBers do NOT see Amateur and CB as "sisters", it is people like the RSGB, the RA and Ofcom and
a certain magazine publisher who see it that way and make decisions to mix, combine and change
rules and formats.
Any sensible CBer would prefer to keep Amateur and CB separate, as they are separate services
for totally different purposes.

If you must get so angry, do yourself a couple of favours...
1. Blame and whine at the correct people, those able to make the changes.
2. Watch your blood pressure, OM.

I agree with keeping the Amateur requirements higher. I agree that it is now too
simple, and has been for some years. I believe that Amateur radio should be for those
with a real interest in radio, and tests should be set to allow those people through - not
to get the licence figures up.
But it's pointless blaming people for taking what is on offer, sitting the test required to
get their licence.

Regards,

Peter.

Peter October 29th 05 06:25 AM

"The Magnum" wrote...

"jim" wrote in message
The Magnum wrote:
Not difficult to deduce that you are a CB-er.

Why is that then.. is it because he has friends, his house isn't full of
bits of old crap and he doesnt stink of wee and biscuits??

biscuits?

Its an old joke referring to the elderly.... ;o)

Would that be a Brummy joke?
What about Murray Mints?

Regards,

Peter.
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/

Steveo October 29th 05 11:15 AM

Cmdr Buzz Corey wrote:
DrDeath wrote:

I don't need to look up any of those items.
I am in the process of building a ssb radio to match the linear I built
last year. Though I am certain I spend a great deal less time working
on those types of projects as I have other interests in my life.

Care to give some details like what method of SSB generation this here
radio will use?

Care to tell us your call sign, buzzard?

The Magnum October 29th 05 02:42 PM

"Peter" wrote in message
"The Magnum" wrote...

"jim" wrote in message
The Magnum wrote:
Not difficult to deduce that you are a CB-er.

Why is that then.. is it because he has friends, his house isn't

full of
bits of old crap and he doesnt stink of wee and biscuits??

biscuits?

Its an old joke referring to the elderly.... ;o)

Would that be a Brummy joke?
What about Murray Mints?

Regards,

Peter.
http://www.citizensband.radiouk.com/

Nah Pete its not a Brummie Joke. I dont know about the Murray mints
though.... youll have to enlighten me on that one while i pour HP sauce all
over my Mushy Peas and Chips ;o)

The Magnum October 29th 05 02:45 PM

There are also some words which tend to have my children in fits of

laughter... like hospice.
If you don't see the joke, don't worry, it's all in the accent...

Hoss: Four legged animal seen running in the Grand National.

Regards,
Peter.

Whats a Hospice.....about a gallon and a half ;o)

The Magnum October 29th 05 02:46 PM

"Cmdr Buzz Corey" wrote in message
DrDeath wrote:

I don't need to look up any of those items.
I am in the process of building a ssb radio to match the linear I built

last
year.

Sure you are.

Why? cant you afford to buy one??