Old December 24th 05, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Howard

Default questions about building CB antenna...

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 21:55:26 GMT, james wrote:

On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 15:55:38 -0500, Scott in Baltimore
wrote:

+At least we can discuss things rationally, without resorting
+to name calling and finger poking! Happy Holidaze!

*****

Not my style to insult, it does not get any where.

james

is damned internet newbie an insult?
Old December 24th 05, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Scott in Baltimore

I don't think so, only because I have seen flat ground planes. My Starduster
were at a sharp angle. Maybe Scott can knows better. I would think the flat or
GP at 90 degrees to the center conductor is fine.

Straight radials would create a 30 ohm antenna.
45 degree droops create about 50 ohms.

There shouldn't be any current flowing down the outside of the
shield with a groundplane, so you won't need a balun,
unlike a dipole that requires equal and opposite phases.
If you try to feed a dipole with coax, the outer shield
becomes part of the antenna system, causing high SWR readings,
(even if the SWR is low), RF interference and degraded performance.
Old December 24th 05, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 19:30:25 -0500, Scott in Baltimore
wrote:

I don't think so, only because I have seen flat ground planes. My Starduster
were at a sharp angle. Maybe Scott can knows better. I would think the flat or
GP at 90 degrees to the center conductor is fine.

Straight radials would create a 30 ohm antenna.
45 degree droops create about 50 ohms.

How come I use to see both during the CB era? Radio Shack made a ground plane
with straight radials.

There shouldn't be any current flowing down the outside of the
shield with a groundplane, so you won't need a balun,

There you go. That is one less step !

unlike a dipole that requires equal and opposite phases.
If you try to feed a dipole with coax, the outer shield
becomes part of the antenna system, causing high SWR readings,
(even if the SWR is low), RF interference and degraded performance.

Thanks, for the info.

Vinnie S.
Old December 24th 05, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
GHB

The radio shack GP w/ horizontal radial worked but had higher SWR than the
starduster with it's drooping radials. Have you considered using an old
102" SS whip mounted on drooping radials that you would construct? The
drooping radials would allow for an almost perfect 1:1 SWR match but include
the spring since the vertical element needs to be 108" long. This antenna
would essentialy be a starduster.
wrote in message
ups.com...
also if I could get a 1/2 wave dipole up would it work as well as the
1/4GP

Old December 24th 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
james

+
+Straight radials would create a 30 ohm antenna.
+45 degree droops create about 50 ohms.
+
+There shouldn't be any current flowing down the outside of the
+shield with a groundplane, so you won't need a balun,
+unlike a dipole that requires equal and opposite phases.
+If you try to feed a dipole with coax, the outer shield
+becomes part of the antenna system, causing high SWR readings,
+(even if the SWR is low), RF interference and degraded performance.

******

At 30 Ohms you will need some matching network to cancel the reactive
portion out and rasie the radiation resistance of the antenna up to
that of 50 Ohms. I would not reccomend direct coax attachment even to
a 1/4 lambda ground plane antenna.

james
Old December 24th 05, 07:05 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Vinnie S.

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:27:10 GMT, "GHB" wrote:

The radio shack GP w/ horizontal radial worked but had higher SWR than the
starduster with it's drooping radials. Have you considered using an old
102" SS whip mounted on drooping radials that you would construct? The
drooping radials would allow for an almost perfect 1:1 SWR match but include
the spring since the vertical element needs to be 108" long. This antenna
would essentialy be a starduster.

Can he make a longer radiating element and put the radials at 90 degrees? That
woulb be easier than drooping the radials.

Vinnie S.
Old December 24th 05, 07:21 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Lancer

wrote:

[...]

So what reactive component does a 1/4 wave monopole have? How much
loss do I have on my 40 meter 1/4 wave vertical fed directly with RG-8
coax? Should I put a coil or capacitor at the feedpoint of my
vertical?

On Topic [email protected] Shortwave 5 November 2nd 05 10:35 AM
ABOUT - Making a SWL Antenna out of 300 Ohm Twin Lead and TV Coax Cable RHF Shortwave 0 October 28th 05 12:22 PM
Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM
The main problem with Ham radio... Observer Policy 59 February 1st 04 07:43 PM
Outdoor Antenna and lack of intermod Soliloquy Scanner 11 October 11th 03 01:36 AM