Old March 28th 05, 05:20 PM
Dave Heil

N1KI wrote:

Does FT5XO have an online log?

No, there is no online log for this operation.

Dave K8MN
Old March 29th 05, 04:01 AM
Hank Oredson

"Mike Luther" wrote in message
There's more to why, if possible, on-line logs are a real help..

Hank Oredson wrote:

"N1KI" wrote in message

In article ,
wrote:

N1KI wrote:

Does FT5XO have an online log?

Why would you need one?

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

Once I know a dxpeditioin has my call sign entered in their log
correctly,
I quit calling them. That way others who still need to work them have a
better chance of doing so. It is called courtesy, something you don't
see
much on on major dxpedition frequencies, so I understand why you would
ask..

You mean you can't tell if you worked them, if you work them ???
I'm soooo confused ...

The issue is that pirate operations also are out there that make contacts
using the official call. This operation was very kind not to divulge the
expected call until they went on the air. That does help prevent the
fraudlent operations using the call, to a point.

But the problem still exists, even with good DX operations, operators and
so on. In really wanted and needed operations like this one, without an
on-line log, you may get a 'perfect' copy and reply to you from a station
signing the needed call. But is it real? Thus,

Interesting. Usually can tell if it is who it claims to be.
Operating style, voice (or CW specifics), signal strength,
direction, amount and type of QSB, etc.

especially on low band operation where path headings, opening time windows
and so on, are a lot harder to spot for many people, the only way to
really make a best effort possible to be *SURE* you got the station .. is
to make a duplicate QSO on bands really needed. Especially low band
operations.

Also interesting. Have never had the problem. In over 50 years.
Maybe it my unique and memorable callsign ;-)

Well, we will see if my 40M SSB QSO is in the log,
they actually gave me a "two by two", but did pick the
call out correctly :_) 100W and inverted vee not very
good for 40M DXing. Certainly appreciated all the W6
folks who didn't transmit out of turn.

Net effect; without on-line log confirmations, those duplicate QSO
operations really add to the noise and QRM. Often to be met by the really
good operations answer of "DUPE!" in some casesd, in others the DX station
just ignores the dupe issue. And at that point, here goes more and more
calling by really decent people, who simply are trying to guarantee that
rare moment for all we work so hard to make possible.

Guess I need to work them on 30M again tonight?
But what if THAT one was with a pirate?
Do it again tomorrow?

Both the DX operation, and even the best operators who are polite, kind
and attentive to others as to feelings - can suffer from lack of on-line
logs, if they can be enabled, for this reason.

W5WQN

--

-- Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

Ah ... another "antique OS" fan!

--

... Hank

http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli

Old March 29th 05, 04:06 AM
Derek Wills

Work 'em, that's that. In the log.
That's why I'm confused.

If I hear the op send A A 5 B crash 599, where "crash" is
QRN or some QRM, and there's no on-line log during the
expedition, what do you recommend that I do? I can hope
that AA5B-something-else was not in the pile-up, but there
are 26 of those (27 if you count Bruce AA5B himself).

If this has never happened to you, you lead a charmed life -
so far, anyway!

Derek
aa5bt or aa5-crash-t or something similar
Old March 29th 05, 04:24 AM
Hank Oredson

"Derek Wills" wrote in message
Work 'em, that's that. In the log.
That's why I'm confused.

If I hear the op send A A 5 B crash 599, where "crash" is
QRN or some QRM, and there's no on-line log during the
expedition, what do you recommend that I do? I can hope
that AA5B-something-else was not in the pile-up, but there
are 26 of those (27 if you count Bruce AA5B himself).

I suggest you ask for a repeat.
If you didn't copy your callsign, you didn't work him.

If this has never happened to you, you lead a charmed life -
so far, anyway!

That "so far" is a fairly long "so far" :-)

Old March 29th 05, 05:28 AM
Wes Stewart

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:52:51 GMT, "Hank Oredson"
wrote:

[snip]

Then I will make it simple. The key words are "log" and "entered
correctly".
Typo's and transpositions do occur. If you need more help with simple
words
and concepts, please feel free to ask. I try to exercise patience as well
as
courtesy. Unless, of course, you are wasting bandwith by trolling.

Dunno ... I never seem to have those kinds of problems.
Work 'em, that's that. In the log.
That's why I'm confused.
Does it happen to you a lot?

I have before me a handwritten note from JR2KON received after I sent
a QSL for an 80 meter QSO with VP6DIA. I *know* that I worked them
but was not in the online log. I submitted a card anyway (worked 'em
on other bands) asked him to double check.

Quote:

Dear OM Wes

Check the log 12 Mar 2003 1318 UTC 3.8 MHz QSO is N7*U*S (emphasis
added) But N7US is total 6 QSOs (include 75m SSB) He is no request
now. de JR2KON Yuichi

So I email Jim, N7US, and he confirms that he didn't work them at that
time and date.

I will resubmit with a copy of the email (already forwarded to JR2KON)
and expect to get the promised QSL.

So yes, it does happen. And this isn't the only time for me.
Old March 29th 05, 10:48 AM
Peter Lemken

Derek Wills wrote:
Work 'em, that's that. In the log.
That's why I'm confused.

If I hear the op send A A 5 B crash 599, where "crash" is
QRN or some QRM, and there's no on-line log during the
expedition, what do you recommend that I do?

Don't give him a report.

I can hope
that AA5B-something-else was not in the pile-up, but there
are 26 of those (27 if you count Bruce AA5B himself).

If this has never happened to you, you lead a charmed life -
so far, anyway!

Derek
aa5bt or aa5-crash-t or something similar

Happened to me the other night on 40 with FT5XO. I simply did not give a
report but just repeated my call twice. He then came back right on time and
this time I heard my call back for sure. The QSO took about 10 seconds
longer than usual, so I guess that's an acceptable way of making sure the
contact was good.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Was schlechten Geschmack so berauschend macht, ist die aristokratische
Wonne der Verärgerung.

-- Charles Baudelaire
Old March 29th 05, 07:26 PM
Caveat Lector

Does FT5XO have an online log?

Why would you need one?

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

Well one thing for sure
On-line logs prevent the masses from getting that insurance contact and
clogging the pileup even more

CL
New Berlin, WI USA