Old October 17th 05, 09:50 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

Default Morse is...

an_old_friend wrote:
I never get an answer to just what good Morse code would be in this
doomday world.

1) It keeps some of us busy, doing our favorite thing

2) It makes it possible for some people to communicate with others, even
when they don't have the motor skills to do so in the first place

3) It allows you to reach longer than any other form of HF communication

4) It will come in handy it *that* ever happens

and so on

--
73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

Old October 17th 05, 10:12 PM
an old friend

Default Morse code learning software

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:
Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
Wayne P. Muckleroy wrote:
Morse is dead...hang it up!

I don't know your reasoning for making a statement like that, but no
matter what it is it applies to ham radio in general. What do you
need ham radio for in the first place ? A cell phone is all you
need to talk to anybody, anywhere, anytime.

Morse is more properly moribund but Morse is not the the whole of Ham
radio

Yes... And... So ?

you reasoning is clearly flawed

saying Morse is dead has nothing to do with the rest of your wordage

Old October 17th 05, 10:16 PM
an old friend

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
an_old_friend wrote:
I never get an answer to just what good Morse code would be in this
doomday world.

1) It keeps some of us busy, doing our favorite thing

fiddling while rome burn nero

2) It makes it possible for some people to communicate with others, even
when they don't have the motor skills to do so in the first place

3) It allows you to reach longer than any other form of HF communication

plain flase or at best incomplete

Morse encoded CW does not allowed a greater range than say Heilshrieber
would

4) It will come in handy it *that* ever happens

how?

still waiting for an answer to the question, asked many times and many
ways I'll try another

how will Morse be able to deliver anything of objective value if the
world is so far gone that morse encoded cw was ALL there was

and so on

Old October 17th 05, 10:26 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

an old friend wrote:
still waiting for an answer to the question, asked many times and many
ways I'll try another

how will Morse be able to deliver anything of objective value if the
world is so far gone that morse encoded cw was ALL there was

Who gives a hoot ?

Get a life...

Old October 17th 05, 11:37 PM
Falky foo

I don't know dude.. use your imagination. Do I have to write a
post-apocalyptic story for you? Ok, let's say that a big ass asteroid hit
the earth and blew up a lot of ****, wiped out all the telecommunications
stuff and there were only pockets of people left, scattered all over. You
rip a battery out of a car and power up your HF rig, hoist up a simple
antenna and start beaming **** as far out as you can. Maybe the atmosphere
is so ****ed by the crap in the air that voice is totally garbled, or maybe
the only people are 10000 miles away and you can barely reach them with your
****ty antenna. Or maybe they don't even speak your language but can
understand some rudimentary morse stuff. Who knows?

I'm obviously not saying this situation is at all likely, but it and others
are certainly possible. Would I spend my time learning code for this
possibility? No, but I can understand that some people might.

"an old friend" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 17th 05, 11:47 PM

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:28:15 GMT, "Falky foo"
wrote:

Oh, I don't think your little example makes my characterization "baseless."
But it does looks as though I tweaked some people by calling their choice of
study a waste of time.

Studying Latin has done more for my English composition than
any English class I ever took. Your characterization is baseless.

Oooohhhhhhh -- a tweaker. Is that the best you have to occupy
your useless life?
Old October 18th 05, 12:32 AM
Bob McConnell

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:33:32 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:

Jerseyj wrote:
Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Well, this is a hobby project and I have to select how I want to spend the
little time I have for hobbies. Currently, I choose to add more features to
Just Learn Morse Code and later I might want to spend some time on regular
ham activities rather than just extending my working hours without being
paid...

One user reported that the executable runs just fine on Linux under the WINE
emulator, tho.

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

If you published the source under the GPL, you might find a few people
interested in porting it to a real OS. I wouldn't dare install DirectX
on any computer with a NIC, but don't have any use for a box without
one.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old October 18th 05, 01:17 AM

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:37:45 GMT, "Falky foo"
wrote:

[...]

Wow, "On the Beach", huh. :-)
Old October 18th 05, 01:22 AM
an_old_friend

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
an old friend wrote:
still waiting for an answer to the question, asked many times and many
ways I'll try another

how will Morse be able to deliver anything of objective value if the
world is so far gone that morse encoded cw was ALL there was

Who gives a hoot ?

obviously yourself

Get a life...

I have one

Old October 18th 05, 01:23 AM
an_old_friend

Falky foo wrote:
I don't know dude.. use your imagination. Do I have to write a
post-apocalyptic story for you? Ok, let's say that a big ass asteroid hit
the earth and blew up a lot of ****, wiped out all the telecommunications
stuff and there were only pockets of people left, scattered all over. You
rip a battery out of a car and power up your HF rig, hoist up a simple
antenna and start beaming **** as far out as you can. Maybe the atmosphere
is so ****ed by the crap in the air that voice is totally garbled, or maybe
the only people are 10000 miles away and you can barely reach them with your
****ty antenna. Or maybe they don't even speak your language but can
understand some rudimentary morse stuff. Who knows?

and just what is this "commincation going to achieve?

I'm obviously not saying this situation is at all likely, but it and others
are certainly possible. Would I spend my time learning code for this
possibility? No, but I can understand that some people might.

your imagination exceeds mine obviously