Old July 21st 03, 02:42 PM
AA

Default Fight the BPL

Most due to crappy power lines and insulators. Now add BPL with wideband
digital signals and you have a notion of how it will sound.
I have been working with Alabama power for almost 5 years now. Including the
ARRL and the FCC on their ass. And its still not fixed. Wait till BPL is
deployed. Dan/W4NTI

Exactly right. 4 mo ago....found an arcing connection on a powerpole 2 mi. from
the house...humid days, you could see the arc...called 4 times to the power
folks....still could pick up the arc S9+ on humid days even after they had
"repaired" it 3 weeks later. Finally, the failing insulator burned thru or
physically failed (I wasn't there that day) and they replaced the entire
assembly on that pole. Amazing what you can hear when the spark gap
transmitter (heh..."beacon?") shuts down! Now, if someone had been STEALING
electricity, they'd have been out 30 seconds later. Hmmmmm.......maybe that
is what I should say next time I've got an arcing line.

Old July 31st 03, 04:01 AM
Mike

I would have gave money 10 years ago if the ARRL had advocated dropping that
flippin' CW. Now that the ARRL is being pushed from the top down all they
want is money. Sounds like another government agency to me.

Zoran Brlecic wrote:

Even if you are not an ARRL member and/or disagree with its policy, you
should seriously consider contributing to this fund. If the BPL
technology ever gets implemented, this may very well be the end of ham
radio as we know it. Make no mistake about it - we're talking 60 dB
noise increase across the entire HF, not dropping the Morse requirement!
And for what? So that people in the rural areas of USA can have a faster
download from porn sites?

https://www.arrl.org/forms/development/donations/bpl/

A measly $25 - $100 can help prevent your $5000 equipment from becoming
an expensive coffee cup warmer.

73 .... WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

--
Mike
reply:

Powered by Mandrake Linux, no reboots since 5 February, 2003

Old July 31st 03, 04:55 AM
Keith

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:01:13 GMT, Mike wrote:

I would have gave money 10 years ago if the ARRL had advocated dropping that
flippin' CW. Now that the ARRL is being pushed from the top down all they
want is money. Sounds like another government agency to me.

Yes, this is too little to late. What are the ARRL boys going to do with the
extra money, buy some Senator a whore and put money in his campaign fund? No
thanks.

Zoran Brlecic wrote:

Even if you are not an ARRL member and/or disagree with its policy, you
should seriously consider contributing to this fund.

--
The Radio Page Ham, Police Scanner, Shortwave and more.
http://www.kilowatt-radio.org/

Old July 31st 03, 08:27 PM
Gary

You'll be missed.

"JC" wrote in message
news
I will not contriube crap the the arrl. NOT A CENT. The have there OWN
agenda and not the general ham public. I was a member for 6 years and just
quit them. I will never go back.

Fight the BPL Doug Smith W9WI Dx 0 July 9th 03 03:51 PM
Fight the BPL Doug Smith W9WI Dx 0 July 9th 03 03:51 PM