Old June 27th 04, 07:56 AM

Default Field Day 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 07:02:12 +0100, Walt Davidson
wrote:

There is still the recurring problem that many ops do not seem to
realise that it's permissible to work DX stations for points in Field
Day! Several Field Day stations did not send me a Section ... just an
RST ... and others refused to work me at all, or logged me as "N3NYY"!

Dude. Field day is NOT a "radio" contest. It's a beer drinking
contest, and many people use it as a good excuse to get
away from the XYL for the weekend. You'll find a few contesters,
Walt, but most of the ops are weekend warriors....

73, Jim KH2D

Old June 27th 04, 10:31 PM
Minnie Bannister

I have particpated in the Field Day activities of two different clubs
over the past three years, and I recall seeing many cases of cans of
soda and but a single can of beer ("lite").

Some wives and whole families were at the Holland (MI) Amateur Radio
Club's FD site for the whole weekend this year, and many other wives
came for the Saturday evening potluck.

Alan AB2OS

On 06/27/04 02:56 am put fingers to keyboard and
launched the following message into cyberspace:

Old June 27th 04, 11:36 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Minnie Bannister wrote:
I have particpated in the Field Day activities of two different clubs
over the past three years, and I recall seeing many cases of cans of
soda and but a single can of beer ("lite").

Some wives and whole families were at the Holland (MI) Amateur Radio
Club's FD site for the whole weekend this year, and many other wives
came for the Saturday evening potluck.

You've never operated FD in Wisconsingrin

While someone did find a bottle of something in the CW station, I don't
think anyone drank any of it during the FD period. Might have been more
exciting if we hadgrin.

Seriously, we had a great time at K4FUN. Worked a handful of DX.
(unfortunately not including Walt - we have worked Walt in the past)
And a whole pile of domestic QSOs. My beat up 'ol 1986 Jeep made the
130-mile round trip to Murfreesboro in one piece. And I think we may
have trained a next-generation contester; 12-year-old KI4AYK made some
400+ QSOs on our SSB station.

Gotta love FD...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old June 28th 04, 12:11 AM
Harold E. Johnson

Seriously, we had a great time at K4FUN. Worked a handful of DX.
(unfortunately not including Walt - we have worked Walt in the past)
And a whole pile of domestic QSOs. My beat up 'ol 1986 Jeep made the
130-mile round trip to Murfreesboro in one piece. And I think we may
have trained a next-generation contester; 12-year-old KI4AYK made some
400+ QSOs on our SSB station.

Gotta love FD...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

The world has to be expanding instead of shrinking. It never was that far
when I lived in Nashville and went to Short Mountain with the Murfreesboro
club for field days..

W4ZCB

Old June 28th 04, 01:24 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Harold E. Johnson wrote:
Seriously, we had a great time at K4FUN. Worked a handful of DX.
(unfortunately not including Walt - we have worked Walt in the past)
And a whole pile of domestic QSOs. My beat up 'ol 1986 Jeep made the
130-mile round trip to Murfreesboro in one piece. And I think we may
have trained a next-generation contester; 12-year-old KI4AYK made some
400+ QSOs on our SSB station.

Gotta love FD...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

The world has to be expanding instead of shrinking. It never was that far
when I lived in Nashville and went to Short Mountain with the Murfreesboro
club for field days..

This year we were operating from the Rutherford Co. Red Cross office on
the west side of Murfreesboro. But it seems to move from year to year;
last year we were at the Smyrna Airport.

Either way, it's a LONG ride from Cheatham Co.!