Old July 3rd 04, 12:03 PM
Peter Lemken

Default QSX 14027.59

Can someone enlighten me about the purpose of spotting a DX-station's
'precise' QSX?

DX de UA0BA: 14026.0 OJ0J QSX 14027.23 1047Z
DX de DM2CUG: 18073.1 OJ0J uufb up 1 1047Z
DX de UA0BA: 18073.1 OJ0J QSX 18074.40 1050Z
DX de EA5FID: 14026.0 OJ0J QSX 14027.26 1050Z
DX de W1RM: 14024.3 RW3DTB/0 QSX 14026.20 1050Z
DX de N8DJX: 18073.0 OJ0J UP 1 1050Z
DX de EA5FID: 18073.0 OJ0J QSX 18075.07 1053Z
DX de T96Q: 18073.0 OJ0J QSX 18075.1 1055Z

That's eight spots in eight minutes and six of them want to make us believe
that the DX-operator has finetuned his RX to ignore anything 10 Hz up or
down the purported QSX.

And most of these spots are plain wrong because these days the concept of
zero-beat is less important than the last 2 digits of a transceiver's
readout.

I'd like my DXing without spoonfeeding, thank you.

Peter Lemken
DF5JT
Berlin

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
Old July 3rd 04, 01:38 PM
Jesper Wolf Jespersen

Hello Peter.

Can someone enlighten me about the purpose of spotting a DX-station's
'precise' QSX?

That's eight spots in eight minutes and six of them want to make us

believe
that the DX-operator has finetuned his RX to ignore anything 10 Hz up or
down the purported QSX.

Today a lot of HAMs use remote control for the rig, and giving the correct
split frequency setting makes it possible for the DX hunter to just click og
the spot to be talking to the guy.
Of cause if the information is wrong there is not much help, but thats not
realy a fault in the system.

I'd like my DXing without spoonfeeding, thank you.

Why are you using a DX cluster then?
You should be scanning the bands, not the internet :-)

Greetings from Denmark
OZ8ACE Jesper

Old July 3rd 04, 03:28 PM
Da Shadow

The spotters are just reporting what the DX frequency was and what split
they used to make the contact.
Maybe the reader will get the idea the DX is not listening on his frequency.
But judging from the amount of callers exactly on the DX frequencies -- many
just don't get it. So QSX is in order

Some DX stations pick a split and stay there -- most don't but may have a
pattern of tuning. I recall several using a minus split !!!

Spoon feeding comes in different shades.

1. The DX net -- for the DX impaired

2. The List operation for the little guns who bomb into the list taker and
would never make it on their own to the DX

3. The DX packet cluster -- excuse is I don't have time to spend tuning
and listening -- let some one else do it.

3. CW DX Packet spots -- can't copy the DX call sign -- too fast -- but the
cluster will tell me, hope I recognize my call when he gives it.

5. A DX repeater -- for the select elite group only

6. The DXpedition is from your DX club -- picks out members only

7. Your buddy calls you on the phone -- only the two of you know.

If you want to be a true blue genuine pure DXer -- ya find em yourself and
let the others do the same. Otherwise you are a subscriber to the spoon.

--
Lamont Cranston

The Shadow Knows
--------------------------------------

Old July 4th 04, 12:33 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Peter Lemken wrote:
Can someone enlighten me about the purpose of spotting a DX-station's
'precise' QSX?

Unfortunately, in a day & age when half the pileup calls every time the
DX stops transmitting* (regardless of whom, if anyone, the DX came back
to), this may be the only way to get any idea of where the DX is
listening....

* sometimes it seems the other half doesn't wait for the DX to stop
transmitting...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old July 4th 04, 07:18 AM
Wes

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:33:10 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

|Peter Lemken wrote:
| Can someone enlighten me about the purpose of spotting a DX-station's
| 'precise' QSX?
|
|Unfortunately, in a day & age when half the pileup calls every time the
|DX stops transmitting* (regardless of whom, if anyone, the DX came back
|to), this may be the only way to get any idea of where the DX is
|listening....

I don't use spots (no packet and the computer isn't even in the shack)
but you can often tell where the last spot had the DX just by
listening to the pileup move around.

These guys miss out when the DX says, "Listening .210 to .250 [pause]
and 14.190." I work 'em on 14.190 [g].