Old November 2nd 06, 01:01 AM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

Default Icom 208H 'optional extras'...

Picked up a 208H yesterday. Nice rig all round, especially if space is an
issue. I'm quite impressed with the receiver, also a healthy 50W on UHF
doesn't hurt. You get a reasonable length separation cable for the
controller, BUT the mic cable is only about a metre long and connects
to the main body of the radio, so basically you cannot remote mount the
main unit any real distance. Why bother supplying a decent length cable
for head but not for the mic makes no sense to me.

The other thing is no bracket supplied for the controller/remote head...
Of course, you can buy these things as 'optional extras', and presumably
pay right through the nose for them too.

I tried velcro for mounting the head, however its just a tad too heavy
to be reliable. Looking at the OEM bracket, it ain't much at all, and in
fact uses velcro to secure to the head. If I had the appropriate tools
(which I don't) it would be pretty easy to fabricate one. I'll keep my
eyes open, something should come along that'll suit.

Anyway, I was thinking why not use ordinary CAT5 or similar for the mic
cable and/or the separation cable? Has anyone done this, and if so a
wiring diagram?

Failing any of the above, if you know of any aftermarket equivalents for
any of the above, also for the data cable, please spill the beans... most
appreciated

--
/J/

Old November 2nd 06, 01:33 AM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

Jeßus wrote:
[...]

I suspect you will need a decent shielded cable for an extended mike
cable , although cat5/6 foil wrap and some .001 caps might do it ?.
Old November 2nd 06, 03:07 AM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

Do you have the manual for the radio they are all listed in the back.
OPC-440 5.0 mtr
OPC-647 2.5 mtr
for mic extension..

Old November 2nd 06, 11:39 AM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

Anyway, I was thinking why not use ordinary CAT5 or similar for the mic
cable and/or the separation cable? Has anyone done this, and if so a
wiring diagram?

I have done this to my IC2800 with no problems whatsoever. the radio is with
the spare wheel and the mic plugs into a socket mounted in the dash with the
cable (CAT5) being routed around the car.

Also I have extended the display lead in a similar way (but due to not
having a 6 way plug/socket for the dispaly out came the 'iron and heatshrink
and more CAT5) again no problems and due to the fact that I couldn't be
bothered to measure, the cables are long enough to mount the radio in the
back of a huge camper and still use it from the front seat!

Old November 2nd 06, 12:09 PM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

"Brian 2W0BDW" wrote in message

Anyway, I was thinking why not use ordinary CAT5 or similar for the mic
cable and/or the separation cable? Has anyone done this, and if so a
wiring diagram?

I have done this to my IC2800 with no problems whatsoever. the radio is
with the spare wheel and the mic plugs into a socket mounted in the dash
with the cable (CAT5) being routed around the car.

Also I have extended the display lead in a similar way (but due to not
having a 6 way plug/socket for the dispaly out came the 'iron and
heatshrink and more CAT5) again no problems and due to the fact that I
couldn't be bothered to measure, the cables are long enough to mount the
radio in the back of a huge camper and still use it from the front seat!

Sillybilly I missed out the important 'wiring diagram':

use a test meter on ohms or a continuity tester to cheeck that:

pin 1 (plug) goes to pin 1 (socket)
pin 2 (plug) goes to pin 2 (socket).......................................
.................................................. .)
pin 8 (plug) goes to pin 8 (socket)
This will give a 'straight through' extension.

The socket I used was a wall mounted type, which I adapted to suit the
fitting space available in the car, and the wires connected via IDC on the
back .

I have HEARD of people using CAT5 patchlead and gender changer (double
socket) but not tried it. I just used/adapted what I had in my 'junk box'

If in doubt and near Cardiff let me know, I have loads of CAT5 cable. I'm
sure we could 'hook something up!'
All the best

Old November 2nd 06, 10:12 PM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:33:07 +1000, atec77 proclaimed:

Jeßus wrote:
[...]

That's a good point atec, noted and thanks.
Mind you, after reading Brian's reply it may not necessarily be a big
problem. In fact were it not for me needing to switch between antennas, I
could put the whole radio up in the ceiling close to the antennas by the
sounds of it... meh, I'm just thinking aloud here. Anyway, it seems the
wiring is fairly straightforward which is good news.

--
/J/

Old November 2nd 06, 10:19 PM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:09:14 +0000, Brian 2W0BDW proclaimed:

[...]

.................................................. )
pin 8 (plug) goes to pin 8 (socket)
This will give a 'straight through' extension.

Thanks very much Brian, most appreciated. I'm assuming the above wiring
is for the mic? it's good to see that it is all quite straightforward and
obviously can handle pretty long lengths too.

The socket I used was a wall mounted type, which I adapted to suit the
fitting space available in the car, and the wires connected via IDC on
the back .

I have HEARD of people using CAT5 patchlead and gender changer (double
socket) but not tried it. I just used/adapted what I had in my 'junk
box'

Yes, I was thinking about a gender changer or similar so that I can still
have the original lead connected to the HM-133 mic.

If in doubt and near Cardiff let me know, I have loads of CAT5 cable.
I'm sure we could 'hook something up!' All the best

Thanks very much for the offer Brian, alas I am not anywhere near
Cardiff - in fact I'm not even in the same hemisphere - thanks again for
all the help

--
/J/
Old November 2nd 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:01:11 +1100, Jeßus
wrote:

[...]

I'm using a standard Cat5 cable you'd use for your computer. Don't
use a crossover cable as it won't work and just might wipe something
out on the radio. I put in a 6 foot cable and it works just fine.
The only problem is that it slides all over the place as the cat5
cable is smooth.

One thing really nice with this radio is it has narrow fm and 500
memories. I just used the bracket it comes with and put velcro on the
bottom of it. Got it stuck to the front of my dashboard.

Its a great radio.
Old November 3rd 06, 01:33 AM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

"Jeßus" wrote in message
newsan.2006.11.02.01.00.49.365331@anunnakis@area 51.org
[...]

the fact the mike is not mounted on the control head seems to me be a
major design fault. after all, phillips, tait, etc. got it right all that
time ago...a retrograde step indeed.. just my two bobs worth............j
(sorry no solutions :^) )

Old November 3rd 06, 07:00 AM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 12:33:04 +1100, jonz proclaimed:

"Jeßus" wrote in message
[...]

In hindsight it could be a real benefit if installed in a vehicle, as you
could mount the head damn near anywhere due to it's small size and the
cable is very thin... * except* as mentioned, they do not supply a lengthy
cable for the mic, which is disappointing IMO. They probably couldn't
have the mic socket on the head due to lack of space... The Icom 2720's
mic connects to the head though. Now, if they could combine the best
points of these two radios into one, they'd really be onto something.

--
/J/
Cut the crap to email me...

tards been busy marc Policy 3 July 15th 06 05:38 AM
FS: Icom IC-R5 Scanner, UN-BLOCKED, with many extras! Bill Crocker Swap 2 January 17th 05 11:10 AM
FS: ICOM R71A Receiver with optional filters Don Levstik Shortwave 0 December 1st 04 05:55 AM
FS: ICOM R71A Receiver with optional filters Don Levstik Swap 0 December 1st 04 05:55 AM
FS: Collector quality Icom IC-740 HF station (many extras) MGALUVR Swap 0 March 7th 04 04:00 AM