Old September 11th 03, 09:45 AM
Anders S. Nielsen

Default FT-757GX advice?

have recently bought a used FT-757GX (Original not MKII) - It works
fine, but I need to clean/tighten the mode selector.

How do I remove the front panel? Do I have to remove the VFO knob?

Vy 73 de
Anders / OZ3ACB
Old September 12th 03, 12:05 AM
Ed G.

have recently bought a used FT-757GX (Original not MKII) - It works
fine, but I need to clean/tighten the mode selector.

How do I remove the front panel? Do I have to remove the VFO knob?

Have you first removed the mode selector knob and ring to see if the
switch nut is visible and accessable from the front? If it is, you should
be able to tighten it with a fine pointed needlenose pliers.

If not, I'm not sure how much you want to dig into this. You must
first remove the two screws on right side of the bottom plate, 4 screws on
the left side of the bottom plate, and the 4 screws on the bottom of the
bottom plate. I think you can, at this point, remove the bottom plate
without having to remove the top assembly. (Top assy: remove two screws
on top front, and two screws on back of radio ... I think you have to
remove the key jack nut, too).

Once you get the bottom plate off, you can see the back - bottom side
of the control panel. Unfortunately, there is a nice big PC board there
and I don't know what the situation is at this point with the mode
selector switch, but you can at least assess and proceed on your own from
there.

Ed WB6SAT

Old September 12th 03, 10:30 AM
Anders S. Nielsen

Have you first removed the mode selector knob and ring to see if the
switch nut is visible and accessable from the front? If it is, you should
be able to tighten it with a fine pointed needlenose pliers.

I am able to see the switch nut, but there is little space to get in
there - even with a fine pointed needlenose pliers.

I have removed the cover and I can see the backside of the mode
switch, but i need to access the switch nut from the front. I think I
have to remove the front panel. Should I remove the VFO knob and how
is this done?

Brgds / 73
Anders / OZ3ACB

Old September 12th 03, 11:07 PM
Ed G.

I have removed the cover and I can see the backside of the mode
switch, but i need to access the switch nut from the front. I think I
have to remove the front panel. Should I remove the VFO knob and how
is this done?

I don't know. You might try, (at risk of breaking it), to remove the
rubber "band" that is on the VFO switch and see if there is a set nut
under it. I don't know. Maybe its just a tight fit and just pulls off.
Hopefully someone else can answer that here.

Ed

Old September 27th 03, 11:51 AM
Ian

Hello.
On my FT757GXmkI the VFO knob is a push-pull fit.
It is a very tight fit and I've on guarantee that all the mkI sets were a
push-pull fit - Yaesu might have changed partway through production.

My 757 came with the "FT-757GX Technical Supplement" which shows how to take
the set apart.

Looks like you remove the top and bottom covers and then you'll see the
screws which retain the front panel.

I'm _almost_ certain that you don't have to remove the VFO knob in order to
remove the front panel.
I think the front panel comes away from the body of the set as a compete
unit.

I can scan the relevant page for you if that would help.

73, Ian G4EAN

. ..