Old March 22nd 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default AZDEN PCS4000 Manual???

Want to buy a manual for the AZDEN PCS4000 2 meter transceiver.
For some reason I cant retain the stored freqcys even though
I substituted the original tiny 3 volt battery thats supposed
to keep the memory channels alive. I brought out the leads
(after severing the old battery) so can substitute nicads
or LION rechargeables externally but still cant figure out
why it will only hold the memories for maybe 1 or 2 days.
Joe/KH6JF

************************************************** ************************
* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *
************************************************** ************************

Old March 22nd 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Joseph Fenn wrote:
Want to buy a manual for the AZDEN PCS4000 2 meter transceiver.
For some reason I cant retain the stored freqcys even though
I substituted the original tiny 3 volt battery thats supposed
to keep the memory channels alive. I brought out the leads
(after severing the old battery) so can substitute nicads
or LION rechargeables externally but still cant figure out
why it will only hold the memories for maybe 1 or 2 days.
Joe/KH6JF

************************************************** ************************
* Ham since 1937 HiSchool Sophomore ex W9ZUU, KP4EX, W4FAG, KH6ARG KH6JF *
* WW2 Vet since Sep 1940 to just After VJ day. US Signal Corps AACS *
************************************************** ************************

Did you try measuring the current drain on the battery?
Some of this old stuff was designed to be plugged into power all the time.
mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale He
Old March 22nd 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

This fellow sells them for about $16.

http://www.myradioroom.com/manualsales.html

However, the other poster makes a good point about measuring the draw.
I had an old KDK-???? of that vintage that lost its marbles after less
than a week without being powered up. No problem in the car, but a
hassle in the house if I was gone a few days.

--
Alan
WA4SCA
Old March 23rd 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Did you try measuring the current drain on the battery?
Some of this old stuff was designed to be plugged into power all the time.
mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale He
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/sale.html

Well I could'nt imagine that the On/Off switch must remain on all the
time. If it was in a Vehicle instead of in my ham shack who would
want to leave the darned rig on all the time. I use it in the
home shack, and all I did was substitute the tiny 3 v (rechargeable)
cell and gring the +/- leads out so could use Lithium Ion or other
longer lasting rechargeables. You gave me an idea however so will
crank in 5 freqs and leave it on for a few days to see what hapens.
73's and tnx
Joe

Old March 24th 07, 09:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Joseph Fenn wrote:

Did you try measuring the current drain on the battery?
Some of this old stuff was designed to be plugged into power all the
time.
mike

--
Return address is VALID!
Bunch-O-Stuff Forsale He
http://nm7u.tripod.com/homepage/sale.html

Well I could'nt imagine that the On/Off switch must remain on all the
time.

Read it again. Plugged into power is not the same as having the on/off
switch on all the time.

FWIW, a typical car radio these days draws about 1/4 amp when the power
is off. Vendors will deny it, but get out your meter and measure the
current thru the power wire when the radio is off.
There's a second wire that keeps the memory alive when your
ignition switch cuts the main power. Learned this the hard way
when I hard-wired a modern car radio into a motorhome. Battery
went flat in a hurry.
mike