Old May 3rd 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

Default cutting square hole in plastic

I need to cut a square hole ( 1" x 1.25" ) in a standard plastic
electrical box cover ... in this case, its the type with one hole for a TV
jack. The new square hole will be to mount a chassis jack for Anderson
Power Pole connections. ( Powerwerx HS-4 ).

Can anyone advise of the best method and tool to do this? I am concerned
about cracking the plastic if I don't do it right.

Ed K7AAT
Old May 3rd 07, 11:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Ed wrote:
I need to cut a square hole ( 1" x 1.25" ) in a standard plastic
electrical box cover ... in this case, its the type with one hole for a TV
jack. The new square hole will be to mount a chassis jack for Anderson
Power Pole connections. ( Powerwerx HS-4 ).

Can anyone advise of the best method and tool to do this? I am concerned
about cracking the plastic if I don't do it right.

Ed K7AAT

Melt the hole using a;
1) wood burning iron with flat blade
2) nichrome wire with power supply

Then using a fine file, trim to fit..

Bob n9lvu
Old May 4th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Ed wrote:
I need to cut a square hole ( 1" x 1.25" ) in a standard plastic
electrical box cover ... in this case, its the type with one hole for a TV
jack. The new square hole will be to mount a chassis jack for Anderson
Power Pole connections. ( Powerwerx HS-4 ).

Can anyone advise of the best method and tool to do this? I am concerned
about cracking the plastic if I don't do it right.

Ed K7AAT

Try a hand "nibbler." They used to sell them at RS and other hand tool
outlets. I'll send you mine if you promise to send it back with a few
powerpoles.

Tom KD6EVM
Old May 4th 07, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

Try a hand "nibbler." They used to sell them at RS and other hand tool
outlets. I'll send you mine if you promise to send it back with a few
powerpoles.

Tom KD6EVM

Thanks, Tom. I'd take you up, but I already have a "nibler" tool...
used primarily for thin steel and aluminum chassis work. I am pretty sure
it would be risky to use on plastic and possibly crack it.

Ed
Old May 4th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

Melt the hole using a;
1) wood burning iron with flat blade
2) nichrome wire with power supply

Then using a fine file, trim to fit..

Now that does sound like it would do the job.... just don't have any
nichrome wire in this little town I'm in. Maybe I'll come up with an
alternative similar to this for this project. Tnx.

Ed

Old May 4th 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Ed ) writes:

Try a hand "nibbler." They used to sell them at RS and other hand tool
outlets. I'll send you mine if you promise to send it back with a few
powerpoles.

Tom KD6EVM

Thanks, Tom. I'd take you up, but I already have a "nibler" tool...
used primarily for thin steel and aluminum chassis work. I am pretty sure
it would be risky to use on plastic and possibly crack it.

It depends on the plastic. I used a nibbler on a Radio Shack plastic
box, and it was fine. It likely will crack hard plastic, but a softer
one will be fine.

You don't need to use a hot iron, you can drill plastic.

"Dremel tools" and the like are good, using the cutoff wheels. The
problem is that the mechanical arrangement limits the usefulness. Though,
they now have attachments that puts the cutting wheel at 90 from the shaft
and that looks pretty good for this kind of work.

Plastic isn't really so different from metal. People used to drill a bunch
of small holes close together around the perimeter of the area they wanted
out, and then it was relatively easy to break down the space between them.
Then use a file to smooth it out.

Of course, that trick was used if you didn't have a hole punch. I suspect
those hole punches would work on plastic too, if you were lucky enough
to have one of the right size.

Michael VE2BVW

Old May 4th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

[...]

Hmmm.... just had a thought... since I am only working with the
inexpensive plastic covers for electrical boxes, I'll just use an extra
outlet cover I have on had for testing. I have both a nibler tool, and
a Greelee chassis punch. Could use the chassis hole punch to just create
a large hole and file out the corners for square, I suppose. Will try
later today.

Ed
Old May 4th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Ed wrote:
I need to cut a square hole ( 1" x 1.25" ) in a standard plastic
electrical box cover ... in this case, its the type with one hole for a TV
jack. The new square hole will be to mount a chassis jack for Anderson
Power Pole connections. ( Powerwerx HS-4 ).

Can anyone advise of the best method and tool to do this? I am concerned
about cracking the plastic if I don't do it right.

Ed K7AAT

Mark out the required hole and then drill a series of 1/4 inch holes
inside your marking. Use a needle file to break out the waste and a
small flat file get the hole to size. Ten minute job in plastic.

Charlie.

--
M0WYM
www.wymsey.co.uk
Old May 5th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
jim jim is offline

hi ed,

Home Depot has Leviton Nylon blank covers
in white, medium sized about 88 cents a piece.

Very flexible and you can tool it, the regular covers will crack
once the adapter is mated to is and coax is tugged.

73 james
Old May 5th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Ed is offline

jim wrote in :

hi ed,

Home Depot has Leviton Nylon blank covers
in white, medium sized about 88 cents a piece.

Very flexible and you can tool it, the regular covers will crack
once the adapter is mated to is and coax is tugged.

73 james

Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, I have to drive 70 miles to get to a
Home Depot.... I'll make a list and pick some up when I do get there.
Meanwhile, will be very careful with the brittle ones I will be using
currently.

Ed K7AAT

Coalition cutting & running yojimbo Shortwave 29 December 6th 05 05:52 PM
Airwave - Cutting Through the Propoganda Concerned Officer Scanner 40 April 30th 05 09:49 PM
I'm Cutting Back (OT) Burr Shortwave 14 May 3rd 04 09:34 AM
Cutting your own Airy R. Bean General 178 October 16th 03 12:27 PM
Cutting your own Airy R. Bean General 0 October 10th 03 09:47 AM