Old November 12th 03, 12:23 AM
Dave Edwards

In short....
No
Yes
YMMV
....Dave

"Paul Clay" wrote in message
Do any of the solid state rigs from the mid-80s to present put out a
good AM signal? If so, which ones? Is the conventional wisdom true
that only by resurrecting a boatanchor tube transmitter can an operator
get a nice sounding AM signal?

Thanks!

Old November 12th 03, 06:16 AM
Bob Miller

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:34:18 -0800, Paul Clay
wrote:

Michael Waldrop wrote:

An inexpensive solid state rig for "AM" use
is the Yaesu FT-757GX or GX II. There
are a number of them around for about
$300.00 without the power supply (FD-700/757
heavy duty power supply). Any 13.5 VDC 20amp
power supply will work with this rig and the power
supplies, FD-700/757, are cheap as well. If you
don't mind the size and weight there are a number
of other trasmitters, ie Hallicrafter HT-32/A,
HT-37, Heathkit DX-40, DX-60, DX-100
etc that will give you excellent "AM" results. The latter
rigs would need an outboard receiver capable of "AM",
not zero beating an "AM" signal although that
can be done. The HT-32A is an excellent "AM"
transmitter, I used one for years before selling it
because of shipping weight and desk space.

I have an Icom R-75 receiver that I plan on using. I like the idea of going
with an old Heathkit because of their relatively small size, simplicity, and,
yes, a bit of the nostalgia factor. But I've noticed that some of those units
in good condition are going for almost $100 (more, if they've got a VFO, which
I would have to have). I was surfing the net and saw a used Icom 735, which
would interface very nicely with my R-75 (doesn't the 735 come with ICOM's CI-V
equipment link?), for $250; yes, that's more money, but then I get FM
capability, a built-in backup receiver, etc.

As far as Heathkits go, the DX-60 was a relatively simple am-cw
transmitter. About 60 watts, screen modulated. The Johnson Ranger,
with 75 watts, was plate modulated, and had much richer audio,
although much more complexity. It sounded as strong as other AM rigs
running hundreds of watts.

A Heathkit DX-100, if you can handle the weight and size, would be
ideal; plenty of power, no amp needed, and a built-in vfo.

I have an Icom 735 -- never tried it on AM. It does have the ci-v link
on the back. Rated at about 25 watts on AM. Not sure whether many
people will be able to hear you at that level, though -- most of the
AM'ers I hear on 75m are using amplifiers to cut through the static
and hash.

Try 3885 khz at about 5 a.m., any morning. A lot of these guys have
several AM rigs sitting around, gathering dust, and you could probably
pick one up for a song.

Good luck...

Bob
k5qwg

Old November 12th 03, 01:46 PM
ve3tmt

"Paul Clay" wrote in message
Do any of the solid state rigs from the mid-80s to present put out a
good AM signal? If so, which ones? Is the conventional wisdom true
that only by resurrecting a boatanchor tube transmitter can an operator
get a nice sounding AM signal?

Thanks!

Another example of a simple question where the threads stray so far off
topic, he question isn't even addressed in the end.

Paul, to answer your question:

The FT101's sound very good with a D104 microphone. If you are looking for
a good current solid state rig, the TS850 with the DSP100 and modulator feed
is very hard to beat. Of course, these are my opinions only and others may
disagree.

Max

Old November 13th 03, 05:19 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote in message
news

"Paul Clay" wrote in message
Bob Stein wrote:

Running AM is fun, but you don't get the 'full effect' unless it

smells
funny and once in a while catches fire.

"Real radios glow in the dark"

Dan/W4NTI

"Paul Clay" wrote in message

Do any of the solid state rigs from the mid-80s to present put out a
good AM signal? If so, which ones? Is the conventional wisdom true
that only by resurrecting a boatanchor tube transmitter can an

operator
get a nice sounding AM signal?

Thanks!

It may be fun, but it is also inconsiderate unless on a little used
band. It takes up at least twice the spectrum of an SSB signal, and
possibly more - hardly necessary given crowded band conditions. Not

mention the off-frequency heterodynes.

Just two cents worth from an old timer (licensed for nearly 65 years)
and brought up on AM.

Bob, W6NBI

I agree that it's important to be considerate, Bob. But even today, I

think
there's still room for playing around with AM, especially if one is

carefull
about the time of operation, the amount of power used (I'm planning on

using 40
watts output or so) and radiating a good signal. No question that SSB

uses less
spectrum for voice communications, but, if one is willing to forgo the

enjoyment
(dare I say fun) of operating phone, one could conserve even more

spectrum
by
operating CW exclusively. Obviously there's a trade-off involved

(between
the
extra "utility", broadly defined, of higher fidelity signals and the

extra,
double as you say, bandwidth consumed), but, so long as operators

exhibit
good
judgment and courtesy, I think the community's enjoyment of the hobby is
maximized by giving people the choice of operating AM.

- Paul, N6LQ

Exactly correct. I operate AM on a limited basis. I also run less than
the legal limit for AM all the time.

I do not operate on 20 meters, nor do I operate on 75 after dark in the AM
mode. I can't speak for others.'

Dan/W4NTI

Dan,

Like you, I run AM at times, but I do it during the day when many ops are at
work anyway. Usually it's on 7290 or 95. If someone tells me I am messing
them up,
I will yield immediately. After all, it's only a hobby and
courtesy should be the order of the day---at least, that's
what I was taught.

73
Jerry
K4KWH

Old November 13th 03, 05:37 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"Bob Stein" wrote in message
snip

Frankly, at the risk of incurring flames, I would like to see AM
outlawed on the HF bands, just as spark was outlawed even before my
time. On the other hand, I firmly believe that ham radio is a dying
hobby, vis-a-vis computers, so it won't make any difference in the long

run.

\

Bob, W6NBI

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Even with the wider
bandwidth with AM, why should the AMers have to yield to SSB? The point is
to be courteous to ALL oper-
ators and if there is a signal too close to me, I just move.
There still is plenty of room. Why are ops so "territorial"--they MUST
operate on a certain frequency or just DIE!
They get all bent out of shape if someone happens to be
on "their" frequency. Why not just move away a few khz? I will move in a
heartbeat--even if a rude op tells me
to "hit the road" (ever heard that phrase?). It doesn't mean that much to
me. The AM guys usually operate at the top end of 80, 40, and 10 Meters,
leaving the rest of
the band to the SSB folks.

The point is, all ops have just as much right to operate as
any other. AM is still legal, and many fellas love it. I only do so on
occasion and chat with a few of my friends on
7290. I run 40 watts with an IC706; most of the time, however, I am on SSB.
I do still miss that warm glow in
the shack and the sound of the CLACK as the dynamotor kicks on my old mobile
Lettine about 38 years ago.

Jerry
K4KWH

--
Remove spam-suppression X from my address

Old November 13th 03, 05:44 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"Paul Clay" wrote in message
Do any of the solid state rigs from the mid-80s to present put out a
good AM signal? If so, which ones? Is the conventional wisdom true
that only by resurrecting a boatanchor tube transmitter can an operator
get a nice sounding AM signal?

Thanks!

Am surprised that none of the below posts mentioned the Icom 706 series! My
IC706 (both of them) do excellent sounding AM and I have gotten quite a few
compliments.

73

Jerry
K4KWH