Old April 4th 13, 03:21 AM
Junior Member

Default Kenwood TH-28A problem

I have a Kenwood TH-28A and have an extended antenna on the unit. I have been inside and outside to reach a repeater and have not had any luck. I have even hooked it up to my 2 meter outside antenna.

The settings that I have on it a - T S APO
Then when I press the LOW button I then see the following: M.

I then press LOW again then it switches to L

Pressing Low for a third time shows: EL

The repeater is set to take in negative.

It is approximately 30+ miles away.

I am at a loss as to what the problem is.

Would someone know what the solution is?
Old April 4th 13, 04:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
LoneHamm wrote:

I have a Kenwood TH-28A and have an extended antenna on the unit. I
have been inside and outside to reach a repeater and have not had any
luck. I have even hooked it up to my 2 meter outside antenna.

Does the repeater require an access tone? If so, do you have your
radio set to the proper one?

Patty

Old April 8th 13, 11:59 PM
Junior Member

The T is illuminated for the Tone. Yes, a tone is required. But it still does not hit the repeater.
I can hear others on the repeater, and try to reply but it does not work.

Last edited by LoneHamm : April 9th 13 at 12:00 AM Reason: Forgot further information
Old April 9th 13, 12:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

In article ,
LoneHamm wrote:

[snip]

Patty Winter;803414 Wrote:

Does the repeater require an access tone? If so, do you have your
radio set to the proper one?

The T is illuminated for the Tone. Yes, a tone is required. But it
still does not hit the repeater.

And you're sure it's the correct tone?

Is there another ham in your area you could ask for help? Preferably
someone who uses that repeater? They might know of any quirk that's
preventing you from accessing it.

Patty

Old April 15th 13, 02:53 AM
Junior Member

Cool

I did have another ham check out the unit. It was found that the transmit frequency was off, so it got corrected. Now, I can transmit and receive.

Thanks for the tip.

Old April 16th 13, 12:49 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneHamm View Post
I did have another ham check out the unit. It was found that the transmit frequency was off, so it got corrected. Now, I can transmit and receive.

Thanks for the tip.
The bottom line is that the repeater is too far away.

Basic physic's 101 - all signals reduce at the square of the distance away.

You wasted your money when you bought a walkie talkie...
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old April 16th 13, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013, Channel Jumper wrote:

LoneHamm;803799 Wrote:
I did have another ham check out the unit. It was found that the
transmit frequency was off, so it got corrected. Now, I can transmit
and receive.

Thanks for the tip.

The bottom line is that the repeater is too far away.

Basic physic's 101 - all signals reduce at the square of the distance
away.

You wasted your money when you bought a walkie talkie...

He said another ham looked at it, and the rig was off frequency, and now
it works fine.

That sure doesn't sound like an issue of distance, or walkie talkie.

Michael VE2BVW
Old April 22nd 13, 07:33 PM
Junior Member

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel Jumper View Post
The bottom line is that the repeater is too far away.

Basic physic's 101 - all signals reduce at the square of the distance away.

You wasted your money when you bought a walkie talkie...
I for one do not use the Kenwood as a Walkie-Talkie. Evidently you are NOT a Licensed Ham, which I am.

Additionally, you would know if you were a ham that many repeaters have offsets which require a frequency difference between input and transmit exit.
Old April 25th 13, 12:29 PM
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneHamm View Post
I for one do not use the Kenwood as a Walkie-Talkie. Evidently you are NOT a Licensed Ham, which I am.

Additionally, you would know if you were a ham that many repeaters have offsets which require a frequency difference between input and transmit exit.
Eye Rodger - 10-4

Anytime you want - I will meet you up on the Amateur Extra Portion of the bands and we can talk about it on 20 or 40 meters...
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old May 22nd 20, 12:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

--
Channel Jumper

Why don´t you simply give your ham radio identification, why come here with agression towards others?