Old August 6th 03, 10:43 PM
Steve KA4TMB

Lotta info there. Thanks.

Steve KA4TMB

"Scott Unit 69" wrote in message ...
What are the frequencies or frequency range for FRS and GMRS?
I am already receiving cordless phones and baby monitors on one of my receivers.
I would like to check the activity on FRS and GMRS.

Get it from the horse's mouth:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/personal/

Old August 6th 03, 11:51 PM
Hot Corny

"Neill Burkett" wrote in message
besides the radio shack htx 420 / are there any other radios, preferably
dual band tranceiver that can transmit on the FRS channels as well

Several of the "higher end" Alinco HT's will Tx/Rx in
the FRS and also the GMRS bands, after modification.

Old August 7th 03, 12:09 AM
DougSlug

Yeasu VX-5R and VX-1R I know for sure, and probably the VX-7R and VX2R as
well. The VX-5R can transmit on MURS and 49 MHz walkie-talkie channels,
too. Probably the vast majority of dual-banders can be modded for MURS and
FRS use. Be advised that using them to transmit within those services is
illegal.

Old August 7th 03, 01:27 AM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , Gary S. says...

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:01:37 -0700, Dr. Anton Squeegee
wrote:

In article , Neill Burkett says...

besides the radio shack htx 420 / are there any other radios, preferably
dual band tranceiver that can transmit on the FRS channels as well

If there are, they won't be able to do so legally unless the
output power gets stepped down to FRS levels when the FRS channel is
selected.

That is one issue, but if they are not type accepted with all of the
limitations intended for FRS, it is not legal to transmit, no matter
how modified.

Ah! Thanks, Gary, excellent point. I'd forgotten that FRS radios
need to be type accepted as well.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)
Old August 7th 03, 02:31 AM
Mark V. Russo

Power has nothing really to do with it to make it legal.
Any ham radio is not FCC type accepted to transmit on FRS.

Old August 7th 03, 02:57 AM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , Mark V. Russo says...

Power has nothing really to do with it to make it legal.

I beg to differ. FRS is, by FCC regulation, limited to a maximum
of 500mW ERP, and an antenna that is fixed/non-modifiable. Any
transmitter above that power level on FRS frequencies is very much
illegal.

Any ham radio is not FCC type accepted to transmit on FRS.

As I found out later after reading the FRS page at the FCC. I had
neglected to mention it before because I was unaware of it.

Old August 7th 03, 03:38 AM

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:28:27 -0400,
Scott Unit 69 wrote:

Aren't you just smarter then the average bear Booboo?

Yes, just a little bit smarter than the average bear.

And you were smart enough to figure that out. ;-)

It's meaning was clear the moment I saw it. I do a real
good Yogi imitation.

Yogi Bear or Yogi Beara?
Old August 8th 03, 12:04 AM
Mark V. Russo

I was just stating using a ham radio what ever the power level is not legal
on FRS.
73

In article , Mark V. Russo says...

Old August 9th 03, 12:05 AM
Dean Arthur

Ah, darn. That means I can't use a 700 mW xcvr.

Old August 9th 03, 12:05 AM
Dean Arthur

Ah, darn. That means I can't use a 700 mW xcvr.

Dual Band Trunk Tracker Trunk Tracker Dual bander Equipment 0 September 14th 04 11:28 PM
Comet Dual Bander question Dan Antenna 2 March 11th 04 04:16 AM
Help, Digital TV UHF antenna needed for 21-69 channels ja Antenna 3 February 10th 04 12:22 AM