RadioBanter

-   -   Do Hams get 11 Meters Back (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/24125-re-do-hams-get-11-meters-back.html)

Steveo November 19th 03 01:02 AM

"Jerry Oxendine" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
JJ wrote:
You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. I will type slowly
so you maybe can understand. T H E H A M S D O N O T W A N T
E L E V E N M E T E R S B A C K. To use your silly cb lingo, "no
doubt about it".

This is true. They don't even use 10 meters much.

BOY! How much you THINK you know! It gets used
a LOT! And some of it is in a "language" you are unlikely to
understand----you know, them pesky "dots and dashes" in addition to SSB,
AM and FM.

Are you kidding me, Jerry? You spen all of your time listening
for trucker's on 10.

Jerry Oxendine November 19th 03 01:19 AM

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Jerry Oxendine" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
JJ wrote:
You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. I will type slowly
so you maybe can understand. T H E H A M S D O N O T W A N T
E L E V E N M E T E R S B A C K. To use your silly cb lingo, "no
doubt about it".

This is true. They don't even use 10 meters much.

BOY! How much you THINK you know! It gets used
a LOT! And some of it is in a "language" you are unlikely to
understand----you know, them pesky "dots and dashes" in addition to SSB,
AM and FM.

Are you kidding me, Jerry? You spen all of your time listening
for trucker's on 10.

Again, it STILL shows how much you know about 10 meters. There are lots of
operators that have regular QSOs on 10 whether the "skip" is runnning or
not. Many groups gather on various frequencies for nightly chats. These
chat groups do so at ranges of 5-50 miles--sometimes more. We are NOT
always looking from
truckers. They are not supposed to be there anyhow.
But you can be sure of one thing: sources tell me that
there are more of them fixin' to get a "surprise". LOL!

Steveo November 19th 03 01:24 AM

"Jerry Oxendine" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Jerry Oxendine" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
JJ wrote:
You seem to have a reading comprehension problem. I will type
slowly so you maybe can understand. T H E H A M S D O N O T W
A N T E L E V E N M E T E R S B A C K. To use your silly cb
lingo, "no doubt about it".

This is true. They don't even use 10 meters much.

BOY! How much you THINK you know! It gets used
a LOT! And some of it is in a "language" you are unlikely to
understand----you know, them pesky "dots and dashes" in addition to
SSB, AM and FM.

Are you kidding me, Jerry? You spen all of your time listening
for trucker's on 10.

Again, it STILL shows how much you know about 10 meters. There are lots
of operators that have regular QSOs on 10 whether the "skip" is runnning
or not. Many groups gather on various frequencies for nightly chats.
These chat groups do so at ranges of 5-50 miles--sometimes more.

Sounds like 11 meters.

We are
NOT always looking from
truckers.
They are not supposed to be there anyhow.

I agree.

But you can be sure of one thing: sources tell me that
there are more of them fixin' to get a "surprise". LOL!

Obsess much?

High SWR November 19th 03 01:56 AM

No, the CB'ers get the Ham bands. Thanks ARRL for your work in dumbing
things down.

CQ Breaker, CQ Breaker, any 20 meter good-buddies got yer ears on, come on
back. Ten-Four, Ten-Four, good buddy, Got ya twenty pounds. No Doubt yer
gettin out, come on back...

High SWR

Robert Casey November 19th 03 05:27 AM

High SWR wrote:

No, the CB'ers get the Ham bands. Thanks ARRL for your work in dumbing
things down.

CQ Breaker, CQ Breaker, any 20 meter good-buddies got yer ears on, come on
back. Ten-Four, Ten-Four, good buddy, Got ya twenty pounds. No Doubt yer
gettin out, come on back...

Yeah, right. I haven't heard lingo like that on any ham bands, even
since restructuring
happened......

CQ no kids, lids or space cadets......

Ryan, KC8PMX November 19th 03 09:58 AM

Okay.... I'll take a stab at this one...... Who the hell said it's required
to be long distance to be useful??

I know personally of some people around here in the Lower Peninsula who on a
regular basis communicate on 10 meters and one is near Midland and the other
is near Traverse City. And yes, these are pcta extra class licensee's.
Guesstimation of around 50-75 miles with 100-200 watts.......

It's not necessarily the quantity of the QSO, as much as the QUALITY of the
QSO in my book. If I can have a really enjoyable conversation with someone,
even to the level of earning the ragchew award, and to where I learn about
that person and their likes, dislikes, hobbies and interests and so on, that
to me is the most rewarding conversation.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Never take too life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

This is true. They don't even use 10 meters much.

10 meters is quite dependent on the status of the sunspot cycle. When the
solar flux is good, the band is indeed heavily used but when the flux is
down, it won't support long distance communications.

Church of The Divine Looney LtD. November 19th 03 04:16 PM

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
High SWR wrote:

No, the CB'ers get the Ham bands. Thanks ARRL for your work in dumbing
things down.

CQ Breaker, CQ Breaker, any 20 meter good-buddies got yer ears on, come

on
back. Ten-Four, Ten-Four, good buddy, Got ya twenty pounds. No Doubt

yer
gettin out, come on back...

Yeah, right. I haven't heard lingo like that on any ham bands, even
since restructuring
happened......

Check out 14.313 USB just about any weekend during daylight hours.

CQ no kids, lids or space cadets......

The *original* w2-y has been dead for over 36 Years.

Amazing how things NEVER EVER EVER change
on ham radio. Even their brand of "humor" is just as lame and
pathetic as it was 3 Decades ago.

The only REAL spark of potential inspiration to happen to ham radio was the
late
WA4D. (SK) Now there was a Ham Radio Messiah if there
ever was one !!!!! Of course, just like the other guy, he was
nailed to a tree by the bluebloods and stinky cheeses at
the ARRL, the Sanhedrin of Ham Radio. I count myself as very fortunate
having worked
ole Mike WA4D before he passed on. I even have one of his VERY
COLLECTABLE signed and autographed QSL Cards.
The famous QSL where he was standing outside the Laurel Md
FCC Monitoring station with a flag in hand and a ****-eating
grin on his face. That card is on my radio room wall in a brass and glass
picture frame with a light over it. It's right alongside my autographed
8 by 10 Photo of Bill and Hillary which I rcvd at a luncheon I was
invited to.

Is this World f-cked up or what??

Mike Coslo November 19th 03 08:58 PM

Church of The Divine Looney LtD. wrote:

The only REAL spark of potential inspiration to happen to ham radio was the
late
WA4D. (SK) Now there was a Ham Radio Messiah if there
ever was one !!!!! Of course, just like the other guy, he was
nailed to a tree by the bluebloods and stinky cheeses at
the ARRL, the Sanhedrin of Ham Radio. I count myself as very fortunate
having worked ole Mike WA4D before he passed on.

Okay, this sounds like a interesting story. Do elaborate please!

- mike KB3EIA -

Stephen M.H. Lawrence November 20th 03 04:18 PM

One day 3 weeks ago, I listened from 28.000 - 28.150, and
I counted over a dozen of 'em. Truckers in particular have been
"using" our ten - meter band illegally, and Riley Hollingsworth
has been doing something about it. Make no mistake, this is
happening.

73,

Steve Lawrence
Burnsville, MN

"Robert Casey" wrote in message
| High SWR wrote:
|
| No, the CB'ers get the Ham bands. Thanks ARRL for your work in dumbing
| things down.
|
| CQ Breaker, CQ Breaker, any 20 meter good-buddies got yer ears on, come
on
| back. Ten-Four, Ten-Four, good buddy, Got ya twenty pounds. No Doubt yer
| gettin out, come on back...
|

| Yeah, right. I haven't heard lingo like that on any ham bands, even
| since restructuring
| happened......
|
| CQ no kids, lids or space cadets......

---

Robert Casey November 20th 03 08:54 PM

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:

One day 3 weeks ago, I listened from 28.000 - 28.150, and
I counted over a dozen of 'em. Truckers in particular have been
"using" our ten - meter band illegally, and Riley Hollingsworth
has been doing something about it. Make no mistake, this is
happening.

Right now (nov 20 20:50 zulu) on 28.085 I hear CB like comms (AM).
Sounds as
crowded as a regular legal CB channel. None of it really copyable, with
all the
power mics and ratchet-jaw lingo. QTH in NNJ, nothing over S3.