RadioBanter

-   -   Cutting your own (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/24666-cutting-your-own.html)

Dr. Anton Squeegee October 10th 03 03:21 PM

In article ,
says...

Try
http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS_Frequency_Standard.htm
Far more stable than cutting your own crystal, can't imagine why you think making one yourself would
be more stable than a good surplus xtal and oven.

...And it's disciplined to GPS as well. Can't get much more stable
than that. 'Bout the same as a cesium standard, if I recall correctly.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Reg Edwards October 10th 03 03:45 PM

It's easier to make the shack and buy a crystal

Reg Edwards October 10th 03 03:45 PM

It's easier to make the shack and buy a crystal

F1LBY October 10th 03 04:41 PM

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
I wish to make a master oscillator for the shack, and am considering
cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing. Is there a source
of raw material?

Also, for temperature compensation, I am considering the use of bi-metals.
(I've never seen one, but what is the mechanism used in Oxley's
Tempatrimmer?)

So much for Radio Amateurs 'knowing' their hobby. The Cb'er makes himself
known when he blurts out a foolish question on this NG.

Harry Bloomfield October 10th 03 07:13 PM

In article ,
says...
|Try
http://www.realhamradio.com/GPS_Frequency_Standard.htm
|Far more stable than cutting your own crystal, can't imagine why you think making one yourself would
|be more stable than a good surplus xtal and oven.

A real radio amateur would build and set up their own network of GPS
satellites ;-)

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT)

Harry Bloomfield October 10th 03 07:13 PM

In article ,
says...

Airy R. Bean October 10th 03 10:21 PM

Oops! Posted it to the wrong group!

Airy R. Bean October 10th 03 10:21 PM

Reg Edwards October 10th 03 10:34 PM

am considering
cutting my own crystals in order to reduce ageing.

Ahhhh, you've unearthed the philosopher's stone.
Any left-over scraps to spare for me?
I'm in great need and will collect.
Are you in the Call Book?