RadioBanter

-   -   Cutting your own (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/24666-cutting-your-own.html)

Airy R. Bean October 12th 03 10:09 AM

Th escapement is part of the going train.

Brian Reay wrote in message
"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
Your 5 minutes web search has not revealed the theory
behind the gravity escapement, a form of remontoire,
a means to decouple the pendulum from the going train

One of the fundamental problems in time pieces is the decoupling of the
escapement from the oscillating element- not from the going train.

Airy R. Bean October 12th 03 10:14 AM

When the prime motivation, as in your case, is to sneer
and find fault, then you will achieve your goal.

I am putting a lot of effort, not into a joke, but into
defending myself against your silly outbursts.

Let us not lose sight of the issue here....the M3/CB licence
is a gangrenous degeneration that threatens the health of Ham Radio.
You have made a fool of yourself both by your support for it,
and also by "upgrading" to one. You have become surprised by the
hostility of the established body of Radio Hams against
the M3/CB licence, and you seek to salve your wounds by
making repeated personal attacks on your opponents.

It was not so long ago that you said that you would not
indulge in such personal attacks, but it seems that even you
did not anticipate the strength of your underlying motivation.

Brian Reay wrote in message
Incidently, for a 'joke' you seem to be putting in a lot of effort.

Airy R. Bean October 12th 03 10:29 AM

So, was your statement right or wrong?

Brian Reay wrote in message
The impulse to the pendulum is dependent upon two
locally invariant properties, the acceleration due to
gravity, and the mass of the Impulse Arms
(Dennison/Grimethorpe version) and pendulum.
The pendulum is not impulsed by the (weight driven
not spring driven) Going Train.

Regardless of where the energy comes from, and this is about energy, the
fundamental issues are the same:

Airy R. Bean October 12th 03 10:31 AM

I suggest that you get hold of the books by Britten (and subsequent
editors), Hasluck and Gazely.

Brian Reay wrote in message
I suggest you get hold of deCarl(e)s book on the
escapement- I forget the title as it must be 25 years since I read it.

Airy R. Bean October 12th 03 10:32 AM

Hence your misunderstanding, deliberate or otherwise, upon
a matter relating to clocks.

Brian Reay wrote in message
.....from my
watch repairing days.

Airy R. Bean October 12th 03 10:32 AM

Hence your misunderstanding, deliberate or otherwise, upon
a matter relating to clocks.

Brian Reay wrote in message
.....from my
watch repairing days.

Airy R. Bean October 12th 03 10:33 AM

You've repaired a watch with a verge escapement?

Yeah. Right.

Brian Reay wrote in message
Over the years many approaches have been tried - verge, deadbeat,

cylinder,
duplex, and (of course) the lever are the ones that spring to mind from my
watch repairing days.