Old December 13th 03, 04:31 PM
Carmen

Hello,
Dit Dit Dah wrote:
What has the ARRL done for me?
Nothing! Nothing at all!

Have you availed yourself of the things the ARRL has to offer? How
about the EmComm courses? While my buddies and I did it the
old-fashioned way (online mentors, etc.) it's possible to purchase the
course material and take the tests via a local EC team. We're a small
group, but 60% of us have completed all three levels and considered it
valuable enough training that we got certified to give the exams
ourselves. It's amazing how few of us there are out there. TN has 29
total people qualified, and we've got 4 of them. More people need to
take these courses and get certified to help *other* people get the
training. It's all well and good to be willing to show up to help
during a disaster, but untrained folks require a time investment on
the scene that slows recovery efforts. One more side note concerning
the EmComm courses: they're not only half price for ARRL members, the
federal government has given the ARRL grants that covered the first
level for many students under Homeland Security. I got my first *2*
levels paid for by those grants.

In the same vein, the ARRL also helps in the effort to make amateur
radio more available by operating a highly respected VEC. Again, the
more of us there are to give the exams the easier it is for people to
locate a convenient exam location and join the hobby.

Add their lobbying efforts to the mix and I'm satisfied that they're a
good value. Hell, your YL or OM can join as well for just a few
dollars more. That's what my spouse and I did.

Take another look at the ARRL. They have things to offer, you have to
avail yourself of them.

Carmen

Old December 13th 03, 05:47 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dit Dit Dah" wrote in message
What has the ARRL done for me?
Nothing! Nothing at all!

Once every couple of years they send me an invitation to "join" them at
$35.00 a year. For what????

A magazine?
A stupid logo I can put on my QSL card?
What for???

I have been a Ham for 15 years now...never needed the ARRL before, don't
need them now.

If the ARRL wants my $$ to pay for their broadcast stuff, to pay for their
logos and advertisements, they can stuff it.

I have my Ham license because of the work I did...the ARRL had nothing to

do
with it.
They can take a hike.

What a dumbass. After WW1 when the Navy department wanted to totally
control the spectrum, the founder of the ARRL, H.P. Maxim 1AW fought them
tooth and nail.

So, without the ARRL, you would indeed have no license or for that matter a
reason to bitch. Because there would be no Amateur Radio.

Shut the hell up Troll.

Dan/W4NTI

Old December 13th 03, 05:48 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"ARRL Sucks" wrote in message

ARRL, of, by, & for New England Yankees.

Look everyone, another example of the brainsucked fool.

Dan/W4NTI

Old December 13th 03, 05:51 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Carmen" wrote in message
Hello,
Dit Dit Dah wrote:
[...]

Well put Carmen. But you have to understand, ya just cain't fix stupid.
And its amazing how many of those people are ARRL 'haters'.

Dan/W4NTI

Old December 14th 03, 02:41 PM
Carmen

JEP wrote:
Without ole HPM, ham radio would have been dead is correct. Him

alone,
NOT ARRL.
Since HPM died, the ARRL has been full of underpaid junior staff and
rampant graft with senior staff.

Life would have gone on without ham radio.

By the way, HPM was an inventer. What was one of his inventions?

The gun silencer. I got that information from the *ARRL's* website
G.

Carmen

Old December 15th 03, 10:48 PM
Steve Stone

By the way, HPM was an inventer. What was one of his inventions?

the ground rod ???

or was it the spark arrestor ?