Old June 4th 04, 04:30 PM
LRod

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 07:57:21 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

But - regarding the address. . . Aaron wrote the zip code as 32074. You
wrote 32174 and 32175. Dave can look it up, of course, but I wonder which
one is current?

32174 is mainland and 32175 is beachside. Both are current (mine is
'174)

I'll stay tuned for your report. Maybe you could get a forwarding address if
he has moved (died, defected, whatever).

I drove by the house this morning. Nothing special and no antennas;
looks like it's had some renovations, so it might have changed hands
recently.

I also checked the current phone directory; no Tom or Thomas Carey in
Ormond Beach. In fact, there are only two listings in Volusia County;
one in Enterprise (a tiny bump in the road about 20 miles from here)
and one in Deland (county seat, and where Walt Maxwell, W2DU, lives).

I'm not much for knocking on doors, so I'll let your friend take it
from here.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Old June 4th 04, 05:07 PM
Rich S.

wrote:

32174 is mainland and 32175 is beachside. Both are current (mine is '174)

32175 it is, then.

I also checked the current phone directory; no Tom or Thomas Carey in
Ormond Beach. In fact, there are only two listings in Volusia County;
one in Enterprise (a tiny bump in the road about 20 miles from here)
and one in Deland (county seat, and where Walt Maxwell, W2DU, lives).

I asked Dave whether Tim or Tom is the right. He says it's Tim.

I'm not much for knocking on doors, so I'll let your friend take it
from here.

You have earned your star.

LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Wanna see some woodwork I did?
http://www.harbornet.com/folks/shankland/emeraude
Look at the green one near the bottom of the page.

73
Rich
November Seven Francis Xavier Rodriguez
)

Old June 4th 04, 09:26 PM
Rich S.

"Aaron Lake" wrote in message

You're welcome. After reading other posts here I rechecked the 1973

listing.
While I copied the zip correctly, I flubbed on the name. It should be Tim,

not
Tom. Sorry about that. It's amazing how much smaller that font has gotten

since
I got that book. BTW I went ahead and checked my 1984 call book and

the
call had disappeared. I also checked my oldest 'searchable' database (Sams

1994)
for the name 'Tim Carey' and WA4JTM and nothing there either. It seems Tim

left
the ham scene. One can only speculate. Maybe a silent key, or inactivity?

And of
course your friend might have gotten the phonetics wrong. I can't remember

ever
hearing a ham using "Tere" or "Marie" before. Let us know how your friend

makes
out and if he has any other guesses, or clues, I'd be happy to try again.

Aaron..........

Dave verified that Tim Carey is indeed the person he remembers. As soon as I
wrote the name to him, he remembered.

I remember a lot of the different phonetics used and "Tare" (Dave spelled it
Tere and I just copied what he wrote) was common for "T". "Nan" "November"
or "Nectar" for "N" and I seem to remember "Marie" or "Mary" for "M".

'Course, I learned my Morse code when Truman was pres.

Rich

Old June 4th 04, 10:45 PM
LRod

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:26:07 -0700, "Rich S."
wrote:

I remember a lot of the different phonetics used and "Tare" (Dave spelled it
Tere and I just copied what he wrote) was common for "T". "Nan" "November"
or "Nectar" for "N" and I seem to remember "Marie" or "Mary" for "M".

'Course, I learned my Morse code when Truman was pres.

Interestingly, one of the messages from this newsgroup that I have
archived is about phonetic alphabets. You probably learned this one:

Pre-1954 U.S. Navy Radio Alphabet:

(Communications Handbook, 1945)

Able Baker Charlie Dog Easy Fox George How Item Jig King
Love Mike Nan Oboe Peter Queen Roger Sugar Tare Uncle Victor
William X-ray Yoke Zebra

I cut-and-pasted this from the original post.

When I retired from the FAA in 1997 after 30 years, there were still
occasions when I'd hear a couple of those (not counting the ones like
Victor and X-Ray that are also on the ICAO list).

- -

Old June 4th 04, 10:54 PM
Keyboard In The Noise

From URL: http://www.bckelk.uklinux.net/phon.full.html

--
Keyboard In The Noise

Opinions are the cheapest commodities in the world. Author unknown but
"right on"

Old June 5th 04, 02:08 AM
Aaron Lake

"Rich S." wrote:

I remember a lot of the different phonetics used and "Tare"

Yes, Tare for "T" seems to ring a bell. "Tere" threw me as I read it as 'tear'.

"Nan" "November"

Yep remember these being used too.

or "Nectar" for "N"

Nectar? Maybe a CB crossover??

and I seem to remember "Marie" or "Mary" for "M".

Well Mary was the correct one anyway.

'Course, I learned my Morse code

That's one of the nice things about Morse, no Phonetics...

when Truman was pres.

Well the closest to Truman I can come is my 1947 Callbook. It would have been
'John Thomas Mary' using that books ARRL list. That was only slightly different
from 'John Tom Mary' in the "Western Union Key Words" phonetics for amateurs in
my 1934 Callbook. However in the 1973 Callbook the "ARRL adopted International
Civil Aviation Organization" phonetics list had changed things completely to
'Juliet Tango Mike'. So what the hey, maybe we can get Nectar in officially
someday.
Old June 5th 04, 03:25 AM
Keyboard In The Noise

FYI Phonetic Tare

Main Entry: 2tare
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Old Italian tara, from
Arabic tarha, literally, that which is removed
1 : a deduction from the gross weight of a substance and its container made
in allowance for the weight of the container; also : the weight of the
container

And as I sed

From URL: http://www.bckelk.uklinux.net/phon.full.html

Pre-1954 U.S. Navy Radio Alphabet: (Communications Handbook, 1945)

Able Baker Charlie Dog Easy Fox George How Item Jig King
Love Mike Nan Oboe Peter Queen Roger Sugar Tare Uncle Victor
William X-ray Yoke Zebra

Also from the same website:
German army handbook 90/91: Alfa Foxtrott Juliett.
Italian version: Alfa Charly FoxTrot Giuliet Romio Wiskey.
An Indonesian phrase book: Beta Ultra Volvo Whisky X-ray.
A precursor of the present alphabet (1952?) had: Alfa Coca
Metro Nectar Siera Union Whisky Extra]

--

Old June 5th 04, 06:45 AM
Rich S.

"Keyboard In The Noise" wrote in message

A precursor of the present alphabet (1952?) had: Alfa Coca
Metro Nectar Siera Union Whisky Extra

That's the one my Dad used on his aircraft radio in his Cessna 120 back in
1952 or so. The aircraft registration number was 1927 Nectar.

Rich
N7FXR