Old June 6th 04, 01:53 AM
Helmut

Hi all, and greetings from Austria

"LRod" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 13:26:07 -0700, "Rich S."
| wrote:
|
| I remember a lot of the different phonetics used and "Tare" (Dave spelled
it
| Tere and I just copied what he wrote) was common for "T". "Nan"
"November"
| or "Nectar" for "N" and I seem to remember "Marie" or "Mary" for "M".
|
| 'Course, I learned my Morse code when Truman was pres.
|
| Interestingly, one of the messages from this newsgroup that I have
| archived is about phonetic alphabets. You probably learned this one:
|
| Pre-1954 U.S. Navy Radio Alphabet:
|
| (Communications Handbook, 1945)
|
| Able Baker Charlie Dog Easy Fox George How Item Jig King
| Love Mike Nan Oboe Peter Queen Roger Sugar Tare Uncle Victor
| William X-ray Yoke Zebra

This might have been the same "spirit" which drove the other poster out of
the bed and to the window, to see the meteor, got me to read this thread.

Tonight, I watched a TV-documentation of the preparation for D-Day through
BBC TV. They showed a map of the Normandy, actually a plan for the landing,
where all of the different sectors like omaha, sword and utah, were
subdivided for with the same phonetics, I just remember oboe, peter, queen

| I cut-and-pasted this from the original post.
|
| When I retired from the FAA in 1997 after 30 years, there were still
| occasions when I'd hear a couple of those (not counting the ones like
| Victor and X-Ray that are also on the ICAO list).
|
| - -
| LRod
|
| Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
|
| Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
|
| http://www.woodbutcher.net

73 de OE8SOQ, a late night NG reader (local time 02:53 am)

Old June 17th 04, 10:01 PM
Art Harris

"Keyboard In The Noise" wrote:
Also from the same website:
A precursor of the present alphabet (1952?) had: Alfa Coca
Metro Nectar Siera Union Whisky Extra

"Extra" for X? That's a weird one!

Art N2AH