Old November 25th 04, 06:16 AM
David Snyder Hale

Default I don't understand 'split'

I don't understand split operation. So, I tried googling for articles, and
found one at http://www.guam.net/pub/midxa/nl/nl_apr98.html

Here is an excerpt which emphasizes my confusion:

"When do you need to go to a split operation ? When the people you are
giving reports to are not answering, or when you are not getting your
report from the station you are working because of other stations who
are continuously calling. Simply, when the QRM starts slowing you
down. Split operation moves the QRM and you are no longer forced to
wait for 20 or 30 stations to stop calling you so you can work one of
them Modern transceivers today come equipped with two VFO's - some
even come with two receivers. The RIT (on Yaesu rigs, the CLARIFIER)
can also be used for split operations. The primary goal of a split
operation is to get the calling stations (the pileup) far enough away
from the DX station so that the pileup causes no interference on
frequency the DX station is transmitting on."

So, this seems to say that if you are getting so much QRM that you
can't hear the calling stations, you move them to a different
frequency.

OK, so you move them to a different frequency. How does that help
anything if they are at 14.12 instead of 14.10? They are still all
calling in the same place.

I guess I do see that you might be better heard, if you have a transmit
frequency and a listen frequency, no one is talking over your transmit
frequency so stations can hear you without QRM. But if you have a
listen frequency, that's where everyone will be and the DX station will
always have to deal with QRM.

Am I missing something?

73,

--
Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu * n3wtk at arrl dot net
Old November 26th 04, 07:05 PM
J999w

However, there is a viable alternative to ''running split''. That is
selecting the calling stations by number (in their callsigh), or areas of
the world, i.e. US Only, VE only, etc.

I HATE that because I always seem to tune in just as they've finished with the
9's !

jw
k9rzz
Old November 26th 04, 10:36 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"J999w" wrote in message

However, there is a viable alternative to ''running split''. That is
selecting the calling stations by number (in their callsigh), or areas

of
the world, i.e. US Only, VE only, etc.

I HATE that because I always seem to tune in just as they've finished with

the
9's !

jw
k9rzz

Yep....it can indeed be frustrating.

I remember when I operated from the Marshal islands in the 80s. I was
really impressed with the Japanese amateurs. They were and are a very
disciplined group. Later on I found out why. They were using a simplex 2m
FM channel to cooridinate DX hunting. Kept down the doubles and talking
over folks really well.

Actually the most troublesome ops were the US hams. I found this to be true
when I operated in Europe also.

Just some thoughts.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 28th 04, 09:00 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article t,
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

However, there is a viable alternative to ''running split''. That is
selecting the calling stations by number (in their callsigh), or areas of
the world, i.e. US Only, VE only, etc.

However this requires the calling stations to PAY ATTENTION. Which
apparantly is a rare commidity, especially amongt the US Stations.

While working split is no replacement for good operating practice, on phone
it's necessary on 80 and 40 meters for east-west dx. I don't have a choice,
I can only transmit on 7000-7100, and while I can do it anywhere in that
band, the low end is full of CW and 7070 up is full of digital signals.

So the best place for me to call CQ is around 7050, but US hams cannot
answer me. I have to "listen up" for you guys.

20 and 10 meters are the same here as the US, so I don't have the problem.
The problem that I have is that except for contest weekends nobody seems
to be out there. :-(

Geoff. (N3OWJ/4X1GM)

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem Israel
IL Voice: 972-544-608-069 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Old November 28th 04, 09:59 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
In article t,
Dan/W4NTI wrote:

[...]

\
Yep, that is the way it is. I have been on both ends of that circuit.
Stateside and in Europe (Germany as DA2LJ in the 70s).

But 40 will be better soon, if BPL don't wipe it out that is.

Dan/W4NTI

Old November 28th 04, 02:30 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
In article t,
Dan/W4NTI wrote:
[snip]
20 and 10 meters are the same here as the US, so I don't have the problem.
The problem that I have is that except for contest weekends nobody seems
to be out there. :-(

Geoff. (N3OWJ/4X1GM)

Are you sure you're calling at the right time of day? Anytime I hear a 4X1
station there's a pile up so deep that it takes real finesse to get through!
If you don't want to deal with pileups, just answer one person and let
everyone know that you are interested in a ragchew only. Or just wait and
answer some one else's CQ although that does take a little patience as so
many people just listen instead of call.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE