Old October 18th 05, 01:51 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Default Morse code learning software

You really shouldn't show your ignorance in such a public forum Wayne.

Dan/W4NTI

"Wayne P. Muckleroy" wrote in message
. ..
Morse is dead...hang it up!

"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message
I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code, and
have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the code.
The
program can be downloaded from http://justlearnmorsecode.com

If you like the program, please make the URL known to the members of your
club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd

Old October 18th 05, 01:54 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Default Morse is...

Gee Wayne....with your standard I reckon you need to dump that Lead Acid
Battery, it was designed way back in the 20th century. And that antiquated
Telephone got to go too. Heck, AM radio and FM radio needs to go too. And
Television with all that old Analog stuff....Hey how about that internal
combustion engine too?

Wayne baby....just because it is old, does not mean it is not useful.

Have a good day.

Dan/W4NTI

"Wayne P. Muckleroy" wrote in message
. ..
antiquated. It was developed during a time when it was considered a
miracle that we could string wire sets for thousands of miles and (slowly)
communicate with a series of "clicks." Then the miracle of spark
generators were invented and we were really advanced because we could lose
the wire sets and communicate across the big pond.

I tend to be practical when it comes to technology. I realize the
importance of amateur radio or else I would not be spending my time in
here. However, if I need to order a pizza on my way home from work, I
don't pull out my HT and patch into the local pizzeria. I use my cell
phone of course.

But, during a time of power failure or disastrous periods, obviously, the
cell will not function. So then, I would use a portable method of
communication. This does not mean I would automatically pull out my key
and start sending Morse. Most likely, I would attempt verbal contact via
an HF mode. If bandwidth is limited, I'm sure I could find other modes to
use that are almost as efficient as Morse. If all else fails, I could hook
up my lap-top, and let it do all the work--sending and receiving Morse. If
on the off chance my lap-top is dead, I could resort to manual Morse at 5
wpm. In which case, I still don't need the stupid Morse learning software
to get me to 20, 40, 60 wpm.

I have much more important things to do with my time than practice this
dead language.

Wayne-
(KC8UIO)

co
communicatio

Wayne P. Muckleroy wrote:
"Sigurd Stenersen" wrote in message
I decided to make a contribution to the continued use of Morse code,
and have created a computer program that makes it easy to learn the
code. The program can be downloaded from
http://justlearnmorsecode.com If you like the program, please make the
URL known to the members of
your club and anybody else that might be interested.

Also, comments and suggestions are very welcome.

Morse is dead...hang it up!

I don't know your reasoning for making a statement like that, but no
matter what it is it applies to ham radio in general. What do you need
ham radio for in the first place ? A cell phone is all you need to talk
to anybody, anywhere, anytime.

So what are you doing here on the ham radio newsgroups in the first
place ?

Indeed.

-has

Old October 18th 05, 01:55 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dean Norris" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:52:52 GMT, "Wayne P. Muckleroy"
wrote:

[...]

Well, la-de-dah! That's norris code for who gives a ****. I happen
to enjoy code. You do your thing, I'll do mine.

I agree, also it keeps the QRM.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 18th 05, 01:57 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Default Thanks...

One more reason to close the borders.

Dan/W4NTI

"Wayne P. Muckleroy" wrote in message
.. .
...for calling me an idiot and then wishing me 73. Somehow, I doubt your
sincerity.

Don't worry...I have not wasted any time on code. The only time I spent on
code was the two weeks I needed to get to 5 wpm. This was to pass the code
element in the States.

My sincere thanks to Samuel and Guglielmo for their contributions to
communication technology. Thank God that their pioneering efforts have
lead the way to much more! Goodbye clicks, dots, and dashes. Hello ones
and zeros.

Wayne-
(KC8UIO)

Wayne P. Muckleroy wrote:
[...]

Wayne, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you really are an
idiot.

Now go order yourself a pizza with your HF voice rig or something.
You're clearly a very efficient guy, so why waste your time arguing about
a technology that you don't want to spend any time on ?

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd

Old October 18th 05, 02:16 AM
Sigurd Stenersen

Bob McConnell wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:33:32 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:

Jerseyj wrote:
Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Well, this is a hobby project and I have to select how I want to
spend the little time I have for hobbies. Currently, I choose to
add more features to Just Learn Morse Code and later I might want to
spend some time on regular ham activities rather than just extending
my working hours without being paid...

One user reported that the executable runs just fine on Linux under
the WINE emulator, tho.

If you published the source under the GPL, you might find a few people
interested in porting it to a real OS. I wouldn't dare install DirectX
on any computer with a NIC, but don't have any use for a box without
one.

Really ? Wow ! How incredibly interesting...

LB3KB, Sigurd

Old October 19th 05, 12:17 AM
Bob McConnell

wrote:

Jerseyj wrote:
Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Well, this is a hobby project and I have to select how I want to spend
the little time I have for hobbies. Currently, I choose to add more
features to Just Learn Morse Code and later I might want to spend some
time on regular ham activities rather than just extending my working
hours without being paid...

One user reported that the executable runs just fine on Linux under the
WINE emulator, tho.

If you published the source under the GPL, you might find a few people
interested in porting it to a real OS. I wouldn't dare install DirectX
on any computer with a NIC, but don't have any use for a box without
one.

Really ? Wow ! How incredibly interesting...

LB3KB, Sigurd

Interesting because someone else might be interested in the code, or
because someone actually cares about the security of their computers?

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old October 19th 05, 01:10 AM
Sigurd Stenersen

wrote:

Jerseyj wrote:
Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Well, this is a hobby project and I have to select how I want to
spend the little time I have for hobbies. Currently, I choose to
add more features to Just Learn Morse Code and later I might want
to spend some time on regular ham activities rather than just
extending my working hours without being paid...

One user reported that the executable runs just fine on Linux
under the WINE emulator, tho.

If you published the source under the GPL, you might find a few
people interested in porting it to a real OS. I wouldn't dare
install DirectX on any computer with a NIC, but don't have any use
for a box without one.

Really ? Wow ! How incredibly interesting...

Interesting because someone else might be interested in the code, or
because someone actually cares about the security of their computers?

Neither. I was being ironic.

Why don't you just make your own software and throw it away like that, if
you have the skills ? Or are you just bitching because you don't have the
ability ?

So far, I'm the only one giving away great work for free here...

LB3KB, Sigurd

Old October 19th 05, 01:40 AM
Falky foo

your imagination exceeds mine obviously