Old October 19th 05, 01:49 AM
an_old_friend

Default Morse is...

Falky foo wrote:
your imagination exceeds mine obviously

obviously..

you must be an accountant.

nope

Old October 19th 05, 07:27 PM
Kurt

Default Morse code learning software

(Snip)

Ahem,

If you have a Linux box setup with a sound card and have a reasonably
current installation of the WINE emulator, the Just Learn Morse Code
executable runs just fine. The helpfiles don't work in WINE but the
program is a go. I lifted the executable off of my win2000 box though
some versions of WINE will install an .msi file.

Kurt Savegnago
Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Oh, and you can change settings during a session (while Morse code is being
sent).

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd

Old October 20th 05, 03:10 AM
Dee Flint

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
oups.com...
Falky foo wrote:
very true. the only time you would NEED code would be in EXTREMELY bad
situations -- ie, the world as we know it is gone gone gone. Otherwise
it's truly an anachronism. I suppose it's good to have folks who know it
just in case of some major MAJOR catastrophe; and there are some people
who
enjoy learning Latin too, a fairly useless language. So good-on-em if
that's their thing.

I have read this suggestion over the year and always aks just what good
that Morse Coded CW is going to do if things ever went that far to hell
(if morse were needed as opposed to just being useful for hobby
proposes that is)

I never get an answer to just what good Morse code would be in this
doomday world.

the best answer I have seen to that is the unlikely "Independance day"
senario

Try hurricane aftermath combined with serious solar/geomagnetic
disturbances. This scenario has actually happened this very year according
to what I've read.

Old October 20th 05, 04:44 AM

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:10:09 -0400, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
roups.com...
Falky foo wrote:
[...]

you are just plain wrong if you are refering to Katrina at no time was
Morse the only working mode

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old October 20th 05, 10:50 PM
Dan/W4NTI

news
wrote:

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
groups.com...
Falky foo wrote:
[...]

And just how would you know Markie? A no code, no want Tech with ZERO
experience or Knowledge of the mode.

Dan/W4NTI

Old October 20th 05, 11:06 PM
Dee Flint

news

Falky foo wrote:
[...]

Didn't say it was the only working mode. Just that it was used due to bad
conditions.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 21st 05, 12:56 AM
Bob McConnell

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 02:10:36 +0200, Sigurd Stenersen wrote:

Bob McConnell wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:16:40 +0200, Sigurd Stenersen wrote:

Bob McConnell wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:33:32 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:

Jerseyj wrote:
Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Well, this is a hobby project and I have to select how I want to
spend the little time I have for hobbies. Currently, I choose to add
more features to Just Learn Morse Code and later I might want to
spend some time on regular ham activities rather than just extending
my working hours without being paid...

One user reported that the executable runs just fine on Linux under
the WINE emulator, tho.

If you published the source under the GPL, you might find a few people
interested in porting it to a real OS. I wouldn't dare install DirectX
on any computer with a NIC, but don't have any use for a box without
one.

Really ? Wow ! How incredibly interesting...

Interesting because someone else might be interested in the code, or
because someone actually cares about the security of their computers?

Neither. I was being ironic.

Why don't you just make your own software and throw it away like that, if
you have the skills ? Or are you just bitching because you don't have the
ability ?

So far, I'm the only one giving away great work for free here...

LB3KB, Sigurd

I can and have written code to give away, as well as finding bugs,
indentifying fixes and adding enhancements for other programs. I attempt
to contribute back to any project that I use and some that I only
considered using. But my expertise is in communications and embedded
systems with no user interface. Most of my targets don't have a disk
drive, keyboard, display or an X86 CPU. I usually work is in 'C' and
assembler and ocassionally have to write my own interrupt service
routines. So while the back end is easy, I don't have a clue how to create
a working user interface.

I prefer the GPL so that if someone wants to use my code to make money,
they either share all their code or come talk to me about using a
different license and share some of the money. On the other hand, one of
the advantages of the GPL is that if just 10 people contribute one hour
each to a project, they all get ten hours of value back. But to create the
most value, each should work in an area where they are proficient.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Old October 21st 05, 02:22 AM

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:06:41 -0400, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
egroups.com...
Falky foo wrote:

cut

Try hurricane aftermath combined with serious solar/geomagnetic
disturbances. This scenario has actually happened this very year
according
to what I've read.

you are just plain wrong if you are refering to Katrina at no time was
Morse the only working mode

Didn't say it was the only working mode. Just that it was used due to bad
conditions.

as a point of fact you did say it was the only working , by virtue of
answering the quetion situations where it would be the only working
mode and that the senario had occured this year

at best then your post was sloppy and since you deem yourself to
critize me for not taking greater I remind you to live up to the
standards you seek to foist on other

as you should remmber I have phrase for when you don't

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 21st 05, 11:14 AM
Dee Flint

wrote in message
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:06:41 -0400, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

news
wrote:

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
legroups.com...
Falky foo wrote:

cut

Try hurricane aftermath combined with serious solar/geomagnetic
disturbances. This scenario has actually happened this very year
according
to what I've read.

you are just plain wrong if you are refering to Katrina at no time was
Morse the only working mode

Didn't say it was the only working mode. Just that it was used due to bad
conditions.

as a point of fact you did say it was the only working , by virtue of
answering the quetion situations where it would be the only working
mode and that the senario had occured this year

at best then your post was sloppy and since you deem yourself to
critize me for not taking greater I remind you to live up to the
standards you seek to foist on other

as you should remmber I have phrase for when you don't

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I commented on the original post before I knew who made it. Missed the
change in screen name. I respond to no more.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 21st 05, 03:58 PM
Kurt

wrote:

Jerseyj wrote:

Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!

Well, this is a hobby project and I have to select how I want to
spend the little time I have for hobbies. Currently, I choose to add
more features to Just Learn Morse Code and later I might want to
spend some time on regular ham activities rather than just extending
my working hours without being paid...

One user reported that the executable runs just fine on Linux under
the WINE emulator, tho.

That was me who reported it. I used a 6 month old version of WINE and
a current version of WINE in two differenct computers. One had the
standard OSS sound system and one had the commercial 4Front Technologies
code for sound setup. One machine is a Quad 6 four Pentium-Pro 333Mhz
cpu machine and the other is a very old PR440FX dual Pentium-Pro 333Mhz.
Only thing that doesn't work is the helpfiles.

To get the program to work under WINE, lift the
Just-Learn-Morse-Code.exe file off of a Windows machine. Stick it in
your Linux box and start it with the usual WINE command. I tried to
do an install using WINE and the .msi program but the install hung up.
Manually getting and using the executable works fine for me.

Sheesh, I gotta work harder. Can send well but receiving is a whole
'nother ballgame. Fired up JLMC last night and gave it a serious go and
it is indeed going to take 30 minutes a night for sometime to get me up
to speed. I was a bit saddened but felt better when I reminded myself
I haven't put myself on a timeframe and still need to study the Tech and
General Manuals. Passed an OnLine tech exam, but I would like to get a
higher score.

Kurt Savegnago

Kurt Savegnago