Old October 21st 05, 05:26 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

Default Morse code learning software

Kurt wrote:
Sheesh, I gotta work harder. Can send well but receiving is a whole
'nother ballgame. Fired up JLMC last night and gave it a serious go
and it is indeed going to take 30 minutes a night for sometime to get
me up to speed. I was a bit saddened but felt better when I reminded
myself I haven't put myself on a timeframe and still need to study
the Tech and General Manuals. Passed an OnLine tech exam, but I
would like to get a higher score.

What speed setting are you using ?

I think it may be harder learning at below 12 WPM than above. But I suppose
that's bad news if you're aiming for a 5WPM test...

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

Old October 21st 05, 07:50 PM

Default Morse is...

an_old_friend wrote:
Falky foo wrote:
your imagination exceeds mine obviously

obviously..

you must be an accountant.

nope

Marky finally says something that is true. Marky's head would explode
if he had to calculate 2 + 2.

Old October 21st 05, 08:31 PM
Kurt

Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
Kurt wrote:

Sheesh, I gotta work harder. Can send well but receiving is a whole
'nother ballgame. Fired up JLMC last night and gave it a serious go
and it is indeed going to take 30 minutes a night for sometime to get
me up to speed. I was a bit saddened but felt better when I reminded
myself I haven't put myself on a timeframe and still need to study
the Tech and General Manuals. Passed an OnLine tech exam, but I
would like to get a higher score.

What speed setting are you using ?

I think it may be harder learning at below 12 WPM than above. But I suppose
that's bad news if you're aiming for a 5WPM test...

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

I slowed it down to 10 as I was a bit depressed and I actually haven't
been seriously practicing receiving so I just have to do the 30 minutes
or more a day routine. Use headphones and such.
I memorized by rote the characters and practiced sending in my head
whenever I get the chance. Sending and receiving takes different parts
of the brain to process so I just have to activate the auditory centers.
I did use G4FON's program and other free programs to help me learn the
characters.

The other incentive I have is I am on the shipping list for a Small
Wonders DSW-II 40 meter transceiver kit. When built, I have a dummy
load to work with it but won't plug a key in or transmit until I pass
the test and get assigned a callsign.

A fellow told me he got a rig before he was licensed and used the
receiver to listen and never plugged a key or a mic in. (It was a
considerably pricey rig) It was the incentive for him to keep studying
and worked. It was he who told me that I didn't have to be licensed to
buy a rig and just use it to listen. Just can't send a signal.
(Makes sense to me.)

Kurt Savegnago
Old October 22nd 05, 03:42 AM

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 21:50:57 GMT, "Dan/W4NTI"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:10:09 -0400, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
egroups.com...

cut
Try hurricane aftermath combined with serious solar/geomagnetic
disturbances. This scenario has actually happened this very year
according
to what I've read.

you are just plain wrong if you are refering to Katrina at no time was
Morse the only working mode

And just how would you know Markie?

from the News Dan

from listening on air after all at no time when propagation should
faallow the UP to hear No wwere voice signal from the area not on the
air

as well as from Dee and yourself

I guess you are admitting you lied about that. that is the only
logical deduction

A no code, no want Tech with ZERO
experience or Knowledge of the mode.

wrong again I know a great about the mode, even have some experence
using it just not in the manner you apporve of

Dan/W4NTI

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old October 22nd 05, 03:43 AM

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 06:14:14 -0400, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 18:06:41 -0400, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

wrote in message
news

cut

Didn't say it was the only working mode. Just that it was used due to bad
conditions.

as a point of fact you did say it was the only working , by virtue of
answering the quetion situations where it would be the only working
mode and that the senario had occured this year

at best then your post was sloppy and since you deem yourself to
critize me for not taking greater I remind you to live up to the
standards you seek to foist on other

as you should remmber I have phrase for when you don't

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I commented on the original post before I knew who made it. Missed the
change in screen name. I respond to no more.

hate to sound like Stevie but if you are posting replies to no one
then perhaps you are need of help. mental help

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 22nd 05, 06:40 PM
Dr.Ace

He changed his screen name but not the fact that he is still a jerk!
Ace - WH2T

"Dee Flint" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
glegroups.com...

Old October 22nd 05, 09:18 PM
Spooge Geeko

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:26:00 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:

Kurt wrote:
Sheesh, I gotta work harder. Can send well but receiving is a whole
'nother ballgame. Fired up JLMC last night and gave it a serious go
and it is indeed going to take 30 minutes a night for sometime to get
me up to speed. I was a bit saddened but felt better when I reminded
myself I haven't put myself on a timeframe and still need to study
the Tech and General Manuals. Passed an OnLine tech exam, but I
would like to get a higher score.

What speed setting are you using ?

I think it may be harder learning at below 12 WPM than above. But I suppose
that's bad news if you're aiming for a 5WPM test...

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

try chars at 8wpm with spacing at 16
It gives a better sense of the "flow and rhythm" so its easier to
increase speed.
Ed
de KA9AHQ/7
No Voice, No Vice, Novice :-)

and again
Thank You Sigurd.
Old October 22nd 05, 10:20 PM
Sigurd Stenersen

wrote:
I think it may be harder learning at below 12 WPM than above. But I
suppose that's bad news if you're aiming for a 5WPM test...

try chars at 8wpm with spacing at 16
It gives a better sense of the "flow and rhythm" so its easier to
increase speed.

According to Koch's research it takes longer to learn below 12 WPM. He
probably didn't use Farnsworth timing, tho.

This is highly subjective either way, so if you find a setting that works
for you just stick with it.

(On the other hand - if you're going to take a test you should find out what
speed is used for that test before you show up. Practicing 5/5 for a test
that's given at 5/18 spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e.)

I use 12/18 for relearning Morse code 24 years later myself. (I use Just
Learn Morse Code whenever I can find the time - currently I spend most of my
hobby hours working on the next version.)

Old October 24th 05, 07:16 PM
Kurt

Thanks for all the advice. Will work harder once the Midwest winter
sets in and the summer hobbies go on the back burner. My wife won't let
me spraypaint in the garage after I poofed the cars.

Kurt Savegnago

Old October 27th 05, 03:24 AM
Roger

wrote:

Kurt wrote:
Sheesh, I gotta work harder. Can send well but receiving is a whole
'nother ballgame. Fired up JLMC last night and gave it a serious go
and it is indeed going to take 30 minutes a night for sometime to get
me up to speed. I was a bit saddened but felt better when I reminded
myself I haven't put myself on a timeframe and still need to study
the Tech and General Manuals. Passed an OnLine tech exam, but I
would like to get a higher score.

What speed setting are you using ?

I think it may be harder learning at below 12 WPM than above. But I suppose
that's bad news if you're aiming for a 5WPM test...

73 de LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

try chars at 8wpm with spacing at 16

You sure that isn't the character at 16 with the spacing set to give 8
WPM?

If the character and spacing are not the same it just doesn't sound
right. It was easier for me to learn with the proper spacing for the
speed.

Now days I can copy 5, but it's work. At 20 I hear word sounds which
is easy, but I'd be lost trying to copy 8 with a spacing for 16, or
the characters sent at 16 with the spacing set to give 8WPM.

Every one is different.

It gives a better sense of the "flow and rhythm" so its easier to

For me it breaks the flow and rhythm, but OTOH you are learning the
character sounds .

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
increase speed.