Old November 1st 05, 06:09 PM
Wayne P. Muckleroy

Default Morse is...

Get outta here you fat *******?

"Dr.Ace" wrote in message
Absconde obesito illegitimo
Ace - WH2T

"Falky foo" wrote in message
om...
very true. the only time you would NEED code would be in EXTREMELY bad
situations -- ie, the world as we know it is gone gone gone. Otherwise
it's truly an anachronism. I suppose it's good to have folks who know it
just in case of some major MAJOR catastrophe; and there are some people
who
enjoy learning Latin too, a fairly useless language. So good-on-em if
that's their thing.

Old November 1st 05, 09:27 PM
Dr.Ace

Wayne,
That's a good translation.
Ace - WH2T

"Wayne P. Muckleroy" wrote in message
Get outta here you fat *******?

Old November 5th 05, 06:01 AM
Wayne P. Muckleroy

Thank God!!!
wrote in message
news
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:10:09 -0400, "Dee Flint"
wrote:

"an_old_friend" wrote in message
groups.com...
Falky foo wrote:
very true. the only time you would NEED code would be in EXTREMELY bad
situations -- ie, the world as we know it is gone gone gone.
Otherwise
it's truly an anachronism. I suppose it's good to have folks who know
it
just in case of some major MAJOR catastrophe; and there are some people
who
enjoy learning Latin too, a fairly useless language. So good-on-em if
that's their thing.

I have read this suggestion over the year and always aks just what good
that Morse Coded CW is going to do if things ever went that far to hell
(if morse were needed as opposed to just being useful for hobby
proposes that is)

I never get an answer to just what good Morse code would be in this
doomday world.

the best answer I have seen to that is the unlikely "Independance day"
senario

Try hurricane aftermath combined with serious solar/geomagnetic
disturbances. This scenario has actually happened this very year
according
to what I've read.

you are just plain wrong if you are refering to Katrina at no time was
Morse the only working mode

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

Old November 23rd 05, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
clvrmnky

Default Morse code learning software

On 18/10/2005 8:10 PM, Sigurd Stenersen wrote:
Bob McConnell wrote:
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 03:16:40 +0200, Sigurd Stenersen wrote:

Bob McConnell wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 14:33:32 +0200, "Sigurd Stenersen"
wrote:

Jerseyj wrote:
Too band there isn't a Linux or MacOS version!
Well, this is a hobby project and I have to select how I want to
spend the little time I have for hobbies. Currently, I choose to
add more features to Just Learn Morse Code and later I might want
to spend some time on regular ham activities rather than just
extending my working hours without being paid...

One user reported that the executable runs just fine on Linux
under the WINE emulator, tho.

If you published the source under the GPL, you might find a few
people interested in porting it to a real OS. I wouldn't dare
install DirectX on any computer with a NIC, but don't have any use
for a box without one.
Really ? Wow ! How incredibly interesting...

Interesting because someone else might be interested in the code, or
because someone actually cares about the security of their computers?

Neither. I was being ironic.

Why don't you just make your own software and throw it away like that, if
you have the skills ? Or are you just bitching because you don't have the
ability ?

So far, I'm the only one giving away great work for free here...

Well, it is free as in beer, for now. Everyone loves free beer!

Of course, there is more than one kind of "free" when it comes to source
code. The only real reason you might want to hang onto the source is if
you plan on selling it as a proprietary product in the future. Even
then, it may be to your advantage to open the source up to take
advantage of what other people can do. Any copyrights still reside with
you. Allowing someone to spin off a native OS X or Linux version will
only benefit you, as most small software projects never make any money
anyway.

There are more than a few Morse training programs available for free (at
least for Win32.) What is missing is a real solid suite of Morse tools
available under a truly open license.

It still remains to be seen whether or not this software is an example
of "great work" or not
Old November 23rd 05, 10:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Sigurd Stenersen

Bob McConnell wrote:
If you published the source under the GPL, you might find a few
people interested in porting it to a real OS. I wouldn't dare
install DirectX on any computer with a NIC, but don't have any use
for a box without one.

Really ? Wow ! How incredibly interesting...

Interesting because someone else might be interested in the code, or
because someone actually cares about the security of their
computers?

Neither. I was being ironic.

Why don't you just make your own software and throw it away like
that, if you have the skills ? Or are you just bitching because you
don't have the ability ?

So far, I'm the only one giving away great work for free here...

Well, it is free as in beer, for now. Everyone loves free beer!

That's irrelevant. It's great software, and all the feedback I have gotten
(with the exception of that from one or two anonymous "contributors" on
news) supports this fact.

More than four thousand downloads in just a few weeks is another indicator.

The only real reason you might want to hang onto the
source is if you plan on selling it as a proprietary product in the
future.

I don't have any plans to sell this product in the future. I made this as a
contribution to the continued use of Morse code, and the fact that there has
been more than 4,000 downloads in just a few weeks indicate that it is
already a SOLID contribution.

Either way, the source code belongs to me, I decide what to do with it and I
don't feel the need to justify that to anyone.

Even then, it may be to your advantage to open the source up
to take advantage of what other people can do. Any copyrights still
reside with you. Allowing someone to spin off a native OS X or Linux
version will only benefit you, as most small software projects never
make any money anyway.

Point taken. Still, it's my baby, and as I never expected to make money
from it I don't really need any of those "benefits".

There are more than a few Morse training programs available for free
(at least for Win32.)

Yes, there are. So what reason could I possibly have for spending time on
creating this one ? Could it be that most of the others are not all that
good ?

What is missing is a real solid suite of Morse
tools available under a truly open license.

I don't miss that at all.

I have made a solid contribution to the continued use of Morse code. What
have you contributed, besides negativity ?

It still remains to be seen whether or not this software is an example
of "great work" or not

Not for me. Why don't you download it and give it a try, instead of just
working real hard to find something to complain about ?

LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

Old November 24th 05, 12:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc
Dr.Ace

Bob McConnell wrote:
If you published the source under the GPL, you might find a few
people interested in porting it to a real OS. I wouldn't dare
install DirectX on any computer with a NIC, but don't have any use
for a box without one.

Snipped

It still remains to be seen whether or not this software is an example
of "great work" or not

Not for me. Why don't you download it and give it a try, instead of just
working real hard to find something to complain about ?

LB3KB, Sigurd
http://justlearnmorsecode.com

Because "not so clevermonkey" just likes to bitch and complain.
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
He never has anything positive or constructive to say.
Ace - WH2T