Old March 23rd 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Really tiny soldering iron??

I wonder if anyone knows of a really small soldering iron (half the diameter
of the Antex 12W iron). I have one I purchased in USA about 20 years ago
and the element has now failed. As the manufacturers name has worn off the
handle I am at a loss as to where to get a replacement. A search of the web
has proved fruitless. It is the only iron I have had that can fit between
other components or in very confined spaces when replacing SMD resistors
etc.

Original iron:-
Overall length handle and bit 145mm (5 1/2")
Handle diameter 9mm
Shaft (element) diameter 1.6mm
Bit maximum diameter 3mm
Bit tip approximately 0.5mm - may be less.
Supply 12V

Dick G4BBH

Old March 24th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 23, 4:52 pm, "ferrymanr"
wrote:
I wonder if anyone knows of a really small soldering iron (half the diameter
of the Antex 12W iron). I have one I purchased in USA about 20 years ago
and the element has now failed. As the manufacturers name has worn off the
handle I am at a loss as to where to get a replacement. A search of the web
has proved fruitless. It is the only iron I have had that can fit between
other components or in very confined spaces when replacing SMD resistors
etc.

Original iron:-
Overall length handle and bit 145mm (5 1/2")
Handle diameter 9mm
Shaft (element) diameter 1.6mm
Bit maximum diameter 3mm
Bit tip approximately 0.5mm - may be less.
Supply 12V

Dick G4BBH

A Google search turns up lots of hits on "antex solder".

Paul, KD7HB
Old March 24th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

" wrote in message
On Mar 23, 4:52 pm, "ferrymanr"
wrote:
[...]

Problem is the smallest Antex is TOO BIG. My litlle iron is less than 50%
of the size!

Dick

Old March 24th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I wonder if anyone knows of a really small soldering iron (half the diameter
of the Antex 12W iron). I have one I purchased in USA about 20 years ago
and the element has now failed. As the manufacturers name has worn off the
handle I am at a loss as to where to get a replacement. A search of the web
has proved fruitless. It is the only iron I have had that can fit between
other components or in very confined spaces when replacing SMD resistors
etc.

Original iron:-
Overall length handle and bit 145mm (5 1/2")
Handle diameter 9mm
Shaft (element) diameter 1.6mm
Bit maximum diameter 3mm
Bit tip approximately 0.5mm - may be less.
Supply 12V

Can't help you with the mystery iron, but I can tell you a trick I've
used successfully. Take a piece of copper buss wire (~ #22) and wrap it
around the tip of the Antex iron several times with a short bit sticking
out. For small surface mount parts (not connected to a ground plane),
you don't really need much heat. This tip extender trick has allowed me
to solder 0201 surface mount parts in some tight spots. You can file the
point into any shape you like.

Doug White
Old March 25th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Al Al is offline

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 23:52:45 +0000, ferrymanr wrote:

I wonder if anyone knows of a really small soldering iron (half the
diameter of the Antex 12W iron). I have one I purchased in USA about 20
years ago and the element has now failed. As the manufacturers name has
worn off the handle I am at a loss as to where to get a replacement. A
search of the web has proved fruitless. It is the only iron I have had
that can fit between other components or in very confined spaces when
replacing SMD resistors etc.

Original iron:-
Overall length handle and bit 145mm (5 1/2") Handle diameter 9mm
Shaft (element) diameter 1.6mm
Bit maximum diameter 3mm
Bit tip approximately 0.5mm - may be less. Supply 12V

Dick G4BBH

Is it an ORYX micro-miniture low voltage soldering instrument, Model 6A
that you are looking for?

It's made by W. Greenwood Electronic Limited of Chesham, England.

And I don't think it exists anymore.

Al

Old March 25th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 01:45:36 +0000, Al wrote:

[...]

ARG!!!! That was my favorite iron! I still have it except I can't find
any tips! Whaaa! I want my small iron again! ;-)

Old March 25th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

It's made by W. Greenwood Electronic Limited of Chesham, England.

And I don't think it exists anymore.

ARG!!!! That was my favorite iron! I still have it except I can't find
any tips! Whaaa! I want my small iron again! ;-)

You can still buy tips, Google Oryx.

W4ZCB

Old March 26th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:50:53 +0000, Harold E. Johnson wrote:

Oryx

I wish you to know.... I've spent hours previously looking for these
tips using google and I could not find anything. But today, using
"Oryx tips", I found exactly what I need! Unreal!

Several packs are now on order!

Thanks Harold!

WTB: Soldering Iron: Weller AL G. Swap 0 March 9th 06 01:51 PM
recharable soldering iron m005kennedy Homebrew 11 July 4th 05 11:23 AM
Good Cheap Soldering Iron Tim Wescott Homebrew 32 September 9th 04 05:53 PM
How does this "cold heat" soldering iron work? scroob Homebrew 12 August 21st 04 12:47 AM
WTD: WELLER TCP-1 Soldering Iron Richard W. Solomon, W1KSZ Swap 0 November 7th 03 10:49 PM