Old November 7th 03, 12:05 PM
Paul Burridge

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:45:47 -0800, Dr. Anton Squeegee
wrote:

In article , uk-
says...

HI THERE
Just a thought , I have often made my own alum boxes , for projects
that I have built myself , and have always wanted to solder
the edges shut , for a more pleasing look ,
or sometimes solder two pieces together.

snip

Won't happen. Or at least no one that I know of, in 20+ years of
hamateur activity, has ever managed to do it.

The only way I know of to seamlessly join pieces of aluminum, as
you describe, is by welding them. To do so, my understanding is that you
need special equipment and an inert gas environment.

Indeed. The TIG welding process is ideal for this, particularly if a
professional finish is important. But the kit *is* expensive and
there's a bit of a skill to be picked up (not *that* difficult,
though).
--

Q: Why does Mike Tyson cry during sex?
A: It's the pepper spray.
Old November 7th 03, 01:09 PM
Mike W

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 19:06:33 -0000, "uk-hamman"
wrote:

HI THERE
Just a thought , I have often made my own alum boxes , for projects
that I have built myself , and have always wanted to solder
the edges shut , for a more pleasing look ,
or sometimes solder two pieces together.

I've never succeeded with soldering Ali, what I do is the use
aluminium filings loaded into epoxy resin as a glue/filler.
My method is to.
Degrease the aluminium with Carbon Tet. or similar.

Stick some tape over the joint to be 'closed' on the side you can't
easily file, leaving a gap / fillet for the epoxy to fill.

Mix the epoxy as per normal then introduce the fileings. I find
diecast ali fileings are best as they seem to be more granular and
file finer grit.

'wet' the joint with some unloaded epoxy and then fill the joint with
the loaded epoxy using a spatula.

After its set I file the joint to an acceptable profile.

I have used this method to fill unwanted holes in diecast boxes with
good results. I'm not sure about its screening ability but its a lot
better than an open hole, both for screening and presentation.

The best epoxy I have used is called "JB Weld" which is incredible for
sticking ali and it is easily worked. Acceptable results are possible
with "Araldite" but it does'nt appear to have the same 'stick'
ability.

hth, Mike W, G8NXD

Old November 7th 03, 08:54 PM
kf4tun

There is an epoxy out there is made for joining aluminum( I forget the name,
its like JB-Weld, but for aluminum). You can find it at the larger auto
parts stores, and you should be able to find it on the internet. When you
grind/file it down, it's hard to tell where the aluminum ends and the epoxy
begins.

Jim

wrote:

[...]

---

Old November 8th 03, 03:59 AM
J. Yazel

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:54:15 GMT, "kf4tun"
wrote:

There is an epoxy out there is made for joining aluminum( I forget the name,
its like JB-Weld, but for aluminum). You can find it at the larger auto
parts stores, and you should be able to find it on the internet. When you
grind/file it down, it's hard to tell where the aluminum ends and the epoxy
begins.

Jim
============================

I've noticed from this thread that all of the materials that
successfully allow aluminum soldering seem to have one
major disadvantage.

Loss of memory.

Jack

Old November 8th 03, 08:06 PM
kf4tun

wrote:

There is an epoxy out there is made for joining aluminum( I forget the

name,
its like JB-Weld, but for aluminum). You can find it at the larger auto
parts stores, and you should be able to find it on the internet. When you
grind/file it down, it's hard to tell where the aluminum ends and the

epoxy
begins.

Jim
============================

I've noticed from this thread that all of the materials that
successfully allow aluminum soldering seem to have one
major disadvantage.

Loss of memory.

Jack

What can I say? I forgot what we were talking about!

Jim

---

Old November 9th 03, 12:02 AM

Try this...
Get some good motor oil and put a drop on the aluminum...
Then scrape the aluminum oxide off under the oil...

I've done the very same thing except using silver-cleaning paste!
Although it's a bother, it DOES work.

I've also seen the demonstrations of the things sold at hamfests,
it appears to work very well, and the cost was not bad, either.

--Myron.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired). "Barbershop" tenor. CDL(PTX). W0PBV. (785) 539-4448