Old November 6th 03, 07:06 PM
uk-hamman

Default soldering aluiminium boxes ????? how

HI THERE
Just a thought , I have often made my own alum boxes , for projects
that I have built myself , and have always wanted to solder
the edges shut , for a more pleasing look ,
or sometimes solder two pieces together.

,Never mind the old resin trick etc ..
I wanted to proper solder them , with an iron ..yer

I have used different irons , and temperatures
various fluxes , and methods
and nothing has ever been successful

I know all about oxidiodsation , so I thought
could I solder it in a vacuum ??? or oxygen free
environment ??

say I get myself a large plastic box , air-tight joints
and Perspex top , with an air-tight fitting door
and a pair of fitted gloves , and a one way air valve
connected to the hoover , to withdraw some of the air
out of the box ???? , maybe even light a candle in the box
to burn up the last bit of the oxygen ??

the box would be large-enough for me to have all the tools
I need , small scrapers , iron , solder , flux , and the box iam soldering ,
etc

any thoughts ????

I would be prepared to go to this much trouble
if the idea would work . iam sure I can get air tight joints
by using rubber gaskets and expandable foam and glue
between the joints etc ...

I don't really want to hear about the construction method

down-falls in your replies , more about the theory of
soldering aluminium in a vacuum situation or lack of oxygen environment

sorry to be blunt , but as so often happens in news articles
the main question or topic is often lost by the 3 or 4th reply
then it goes of a tangent to the main question .

anyway hope some one may be able to help ,
or has had experience of actually doing what iam trying to do

cheers for now
de Paul

Old November 6th 03, 08:01 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Try this...
Get some good motor oil and put a drop on the aluminum...
Then scrape the aluminum oxide off under the oil...
Next get a good iron with enough wattage to tin the area under the oil with
solder..
Then tin another piece and you can solder the 2 together...
A beter way perhaps would be if someone has a name that I can't recall but
there's a compnay that makes a good Al solder that doesn't need a special
flux..
I've seen guys demonstrating it at hamfests and fairs..
They generally show soldering aluminum beverage cans, Al pistons, lawn chair
parts, etc.
I bought some and their special stainless brush and used it successfully..
But that was a few years ago and I have no idea where I put the stuff..
I'll bet someone here has the url.

FYI..
If you were in cosmic space and cleaned the oxide off 2 pieces of aluminum
they would stick without heat, solder or flux!

73
hank wd5jfr

,

Old November 6th 03, 10:48 PM
Eskay

"uk-hamman" wrote in message

[...]

I just did a Google search with aluminum welding and the first one looks
very promising...$35.00 for a kit..
Eskay,,,VE3JUA..

Old November 7th 03, 07:31 AM
K9SQG

Heli-arc or TIG will do it...
Old November 7th 03, 07:31 AM
K9SQG

Heli-arc or TIG will do it...
Old November 7th 03, 12:05 PM
Paul Burridge

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 21:45:47 -0800, Dr. Anton Squeegee
wrote:

In article , uk-
says...

HI THERE
Just a thought , I have often made my own alum boxes , for projects
that I have built myself , and have always wanted to solder
the edges shut , for a more pleasing look ,
or sometimes solder two pieces together.

snip

Won't happen. Or at least no one that I know of, in 20+ years of
hamateur activity, has ever managed to do it.

The only way I know of to seamlessly join pieces of aluminum, as
you describe, is by welding them. To do so, my understanding is that you
need special equipment and an inert gas environment.

Indeed. The TIG welding process is ideal for this, particularly if a
professional finish is important. But the kit *is* expensive and
there's a bit of a skill to be picked up (not *that* difficult,
though).
--

Q: Why does Mike Tyson cry during sex?
A: It's the pepper spray.