Old February 24th 04, 07:09 AM
Paul Keinanen

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:12:55 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Look up 3rd order intercept point.

And pay special attention if this is input IP3 (the power of the test
tones are measured at the input of the device) or output IP3 (power
levels measured at device output).

This is especially important, since a typical active Gilbert cell
mixer (1496, NE602) have some gain, while a typical diode ring mixer
(SBL-1) have a 6-7 dB loss.

Paul OH3LWR

Old February 24th 04, 08:48 PM
John Jardine

Jan-Martin Noeding, LA8AK wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:12:55 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

It's only an "uncommon abbreviation" to certain Brits who think they
can learn by insulting the masters ;-)

Look up 3rd order intercept point.

...Jim Thompson

thought everybody had studied Ham Radio December 77 throughly - even
in UK.....
73 ex-G5BFV (at BPO radio station Bearley/SOA)

----
Jan-Martin, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/

That's a helluva web site you keep there :-)
Impressive!

regards
john

Old February 24th 04, 09:31 PM
ChipS

"W3JDR" wrote in message
Take a look at Analog Devices' line of DDS chips. Pretty much a one-chip
(needs ucontroller to drive it) digital solution to turn your 10MHz clock
into virtually any frequency below 5 MHz (in theory; below 4MHz in easy
practicality). The AD9834 only consumes 20mw at 3.3 VDC. There are many
other devices in the product line. Many have built-in comparators to

produce
square-wave output.

Joe
W3JDR

Joe, I'd gladly use the Analog Devices DDS chips if they offered them in
something other than a SadoMasochistic Device (SMD) package. It's a darn
shame they can't make a limited run (say 10k) of some of these chips in a
PDIP package for hams and other r.f. experimenters.

If they put the AD9835 in a PDIP and sold it for about $10.00 (the TSSOP
packaged version sells for about $6, I think) , I'd buy a dozen for various
projects, but in the tiny SMD package they're nothing but useless to me.

I'm new to the newsgroup and am sure that this is not the first gripe about
SMD's, but I refuse to use them - not because I can't (at least not yet),
but because I don't want to endure the angst.
--
Chip
KC5UES

Old February 24th 04, 09:50 PM
Dave Platt

If they put the AD9835 in a PDIP and sold it for about $10.00 (the TSSOP
packaged version sells for about $6, I think) , I'd buy a dozen for various
projects, but in the tiny SMD package they're nothing but useless to me.

I'm new to the newsgroup and am sure that this is not the first gripe about
SMD's, but I refuse to use them - not because I can't (at least not yet),
but because I don't want to endure the angst.

Sounds like a good opportunity for an enterprising ham - fab up a
bunch of adapter boards (or buy 'em premade - I think Ares has
something like this), solder down the SMD parts, and sell the
resulting PDIP-compatible boards to interested homebrewers.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old February 24th 04, 10:39 PM
W3JDR

Chip,
I totally agree with you about the difficulty in handling fine-pitch SMD
parts. It's a sign of the times.

FYI, check out the DDS Daughterboard at www.njqrp.org. This is a DDS
application board kit with on-board clock oscillator (you could run it from
an external oscillator if you wish). There's also a link to a service that
will solder your DDS chip to your bare board for $6 in single quantities.

Joe
W3JDR