Old October 12th 04, 11:03 PM
Hayato

Default QSL.NET

Hello,
It has been almost a year that I cannot access QSL.NET.
It's not ISP problem, because I've tried at some friends house, and
they could not access as well.
It's not virus problem because I have formatted my PC.

I've heard that QSL.NET has blocked all access from South America. Is
that true?
Why?

This is very selfish of your part, Mr. Admin from QSL.NET (if for
coincidence you are reading this post):
My Radio-Amateur friends an I have always used QSL.NET as a way of
research, look for another ideas, and communicating with other
Radio-Amateur via internet.

You have just cut our access to the server.
Will this selfish and Infantile conduct be forever?

Thank you very much,
Hayato
Old October 13th 04, 06:46 AM
Gregg

I don't know if they so much blocked access as they just have ****ty
servers and or pipes.

I'm on DSL and for years, no QSL.net web page has loaded at a faster rate
than 1.2kB/s :-(

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
Old October 14th 04, 12:08 AM
Eike Lantzsch, ZP6CGE

Hayato wrote:
Hello,
It has been almost a year that I cannot access QSL.NET.
It's not ISP problem, because I've tried at some friends house, and
they could not access as well.
It's not virus problem because I have formatted my PC.

I've heard that QSL.NET has blocked all access from South America. Is
that true?
Why?

[snip]

Hayato

I'm in South America and can access qsl.net without problems.
Maybe it is because my ISP has an IP-address range within a US ISP's
address pool.

Kind regards, Eike
Old October 14th 04, 12:43 AM
Roy Lewallen

Some spam-blocking services give the option to block all incoming email
from certain countries, such as China, Korea, several African countries,
and, I'm sorry to say, Brazil. I presume these choices are available
because of the relatively large amount of spam compared to the small
amount of legitimate email originating in those countries. (A noticeable
fraction of the 200+ spam messages I get each day originate in Brazil,
but very little legitimate email does.) But I don't know what purpose
would be served by preventing a web site from being accessed by people
in those countries, unless it's concern about a denial-of-service attack
by a virus or worm being sent from there.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old October 14th 04, 05:20 AM
Gregg

Behold, Roy Lewallen signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Some spam-blocking services give the option to block all incoming email
from certain countries, such as China, Korea, several African countries,
and, I'm sorry to say, Brazil. I presume these choices are available
because of the relatively large amount of spam compared to the small
amount of legitimate email originating in those countries. (A noticeable
fraction of the 200+ spam messages I get each day originate in Brazil,
but very little legitimate email does.) But I don't know what purpose
would be served by preventing a web site from being accessed by people
in those countries, unless it's concern about a denial-of-service attack
by a virus or worm being sent from there.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Heh, I eliminated all but one or so spam a month by blocking everything
from *.cn, *.kr and the entire AOL netblock assignment ;-)

Old October 14th 04, 12:57 PM
Hayato

I have an e-mail account, I receive 1500+ spam per day. But any of
them are from Brazil.

Thanks
Old October 14th 04, 03:32 PM
Gregg

Behold, Hayato signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

I have an e-mail account, I receive 1500+ spam per day. But any of them
are from Brazil.

I think it depends on the recipient country as to what proxy and open
relay the spammers use. I have never received one from South America, or
relayed through there.

The sophistication of spamming systems are mind boggling. That's one of
the reasons they will never all be shut down. A good example was one week
last February, many Canadian ISP's got hit with spam relayed through
proxies on the US cia.gov and fbi.gov servers!!! Not only is that
sophisticated, that takes BALLS!

Old October 14th 04, 07:05 PM
Roy Lewallen

It's difficult to determine the real source of spam, since the From and
Reply-To lines are always forged. (My email address appears on some,
since spam bots pick it off the Web and use it in forged addresses. I
see those often when they're sent to an invalid address and bounce.)
SpamCop is a service which parses the message header to determine the
true source of spam. It's not perfect, but does a decent job. I've seen
..br as the source of quite a few spams I've run through their parser. Of
course, the greatest number come from the US, or at least US ISPs, but
then so do the majority of the legitimate messages to those of us in the US.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old October 15th 04, 04:38 AM
Gregg

Behold, clifto signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Gregg wrote:
Heh, I eliminated all but one or so spam a month by blocking everything
from *.cn, *.kr and the entire AOL netblock assignment ;-)

Surprisingly, you don't have to block all of AOL to kill 99.999% of the
spam coming from there. You stop nearly everything if you block the
following:

*.ipt.aol.com (e.g. ACB564F5.ipt.aol.com) *.proxy.aol.com (e.g.
ie3.proxy.aol.com) rly-ip01.mx.aol.com rly-ip02.mx.aol.com
rly-ip03.mx.aol.com
rly-ip04.mx.aol.com
rly-ip05.mx.aol.com
rly-ip06.mx.aol.com
*.wan.aol.com (e.g. pix-fw.wan.aol.com) *.webmail.aol.com

Trust me; I'm legendary for my blocking list. I block all of UUNet,
Savvis, MCI, Earthlink, Verio, RoadRunner; I block China, Korea, Japan,
Taiwan, Bahamas, Russia, Dominican Republic, Mexico, Costa Rica, Hong
Kong, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and most of Canada,
Australia and New Zealand. (Among others. See
http://www.clifto.com/boycottlist.html.) If I can get by with blocking
only the above AOL servers, you can too.

With about eight percent of the world blocked, I average five spams per
week.

Major thanks!!

Oddly enough, my ISP blocks all of the US spammers, but no one else :-/

QSL.net problems? J M Noeding Homebrew 8 July 15th 04 08:34 PM
Has QSL.net network problems ? Hernán Sánchez Homebrew 10 April 18th 04 06:36 PM
Has QSL.net network problems ? Hernán Sánchez Homebrew 0 April 17th 04 02:40 PM