Old December 24th 17, 07:45 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

Default Pepper and Salt! (Condiments of the season) :-)

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 23:17:53 -0500
rickman wrote:

230 what? 230 Mbps would be insanely fast and 230 kbps is insanely
slow. I have around 7 Mbps peak and I'm happy with that. I can watch

Wow! Even on the rural west coast of Ireland I get 70Mbps fixed
wireless, in the nearest town gigabit is on offer but the fibres don't get
out here.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\WIN | A better way to focus the sun
Old December 24th 17, 09:05 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

rickman wrote:

230 what? 230 Mbps would be insanely fast and 230 kbps is insanely
slow. I have around 7 Mbps peak and I'm happy with that. I can watch

Wow! Even on the rural west coast of Ireland I get 70Mbps fixed
wireless, in the nearest town gigabit is on offer but the fibres don't get
out here.

I'm in the middle of no and where. There's no cable. I was lucky enough to
get a wireless provider who doesn't sell a cell phone like plan with data
caps, etc. The PC software says I use around 60 GB a month which would be a
major extra charge with most wireless providers.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Old December 24th 17, 01:15 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

On Fr 22 Dez 2017 at 08:58, wrote:

A few years ago, I stoppped for a couple of days at a farmhouse near
Carmarten(sp) . Nice people, most Welsh people are. I asked the
housewife how she did in Welsh.

I think it is Carmarthen.
But it is now about 30 years that I have been there, but it was a very
nice holiday.

'Andreas
Old December 24th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

In article , says...

230 what? 230 Mbps would be insanely fast and 230 kbps is insanely slow. I
have around 7 Mbps peak and I'm happy with that. I can watch movies all day
long and do anything I need. It's been a while since I've tried to download
the GB of so it takes for the latest copy of FPGA development tools.

I just checked at
http://www.speedtest.net/ and it is 236 Mbps down and
11.9 Mbps up.

That is just the starting speed here. It is in and around a small town
in North Carolina. About a year ago it was 25 Mbps downlink for the
basic rate. Now they are advertising 100 Mbps as the starting speed on
the web site,but a television commercial was stating 200 Mbps as the
basic speed for a larger town about 20 miles away.

I think much of the speed hold up now is not on this end, but how fast
the sites on the internet can get their data uploaded to the internet.

I don't download that many large files, but downloaded a copy of
Microsoft Office 16 or 2016 or something like that to a laptop that was
connected wireless at my house at 65 Mbps. Took almost no time. I
remember trying to use the phone modems at 14.4K baud or whatever and
downloading just a 1 or 2 megabit file and it taking around an hour.

Old December 24th 17, 04:42 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

On 12/23/2017 11:49 PM, J. Clarke wrote:
On Sat, 23 Dec 2017 23:10:44 -0500, Jerry Stuckle
wrote:

On 12/23/2017 10:41 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Do you mind if I ask which VOIP company you're using (reply by email if
you wish). I'm considering switching both my home and business numbers
to another company. Verizon has gone VOIP but they're expensive (and
have fewer features).

The company is/was Time Warner Cable that was bought or merged with
Spectrum. I only had the internet before the merge and it was about $
60 and the land line phone with another company was about $ 40 or $ 45
or just the basic service. No caller ID and 10 cents a minuit for long
distance.

By bundling the internet and phone I am paying about $ 69 per month for
both services and that includes a surcharge for the wifi modem and
probably because I wanted to keep Earthlink as the ISP instead of going
with them which I think is Roadrunner.

https://www.spectrum.com/home-phone.html

They advertise $ 29.99 each for some cable TV, phone , and internet if
you bundle them together. There is no contract or anyting. Not sure
how long they will hold that price as it has only been a few months.
Did not want the TV as using Direct TV and the wife wanted to keep it.

Only drawback I can think of now is if the cable line goes out I have to
use a cell phone to call them.

Ah, OK. I thought you had gone with one of the VOIP companies. We
don't have Spectrum here; there are some places on the other side of the
river in Virginia with them, but all we have available are Verizon and
XFinity. I think Verizon is the lesser of the two evils

You know nothing compels you to get your phone from your internet
provider. Microsoft provides unlimited worldwide service for
$14.99/month, plus $25 every three if you want a number that people
can call. Google has something similar.

I wouldn't get phone service from Microsoft if it were the last company
on earth. They're about the only company I consider worse than XFinity
in that respect. I don't want a phone that crashes three times a day.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old December 24th 17, 05:57 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

wrote:

[...]

I don't recall Skype _ever_ crashing. This "crashes three times a
day" business from people who last used Windows 30 years ago is
getting boring.
Old December 24th 17, 09:41 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,alt.folklore.computers,uk.rec.models.engineering

wrote:

[...]

Even my Windows 7 Professional crashes on a semi-regular basis - at
least once or twice a week. Applications crash for no reason even more
often. But my Linux system on the same machine never crashes.

And yes, I have had Skype crash enough times I don't use it any more -
and haven't fore at least 3-4 years. Maybe it's better now but I don't
trust it.

--