Old January 14th 05, 10:27 AM
Richard

Default Where do I buy large surface area single copper clad board in UK (or even US)

Hi. I'm trying to obtain single copper clad board that allows me to end up
with a board 245mm x 348mm. I can do it with two pieces for sure, but I'd
prefer one peice. Anybody know who sells in UK pieces large enough? Would
buy from US or whatever if not available in UK. TIA.

Old January 14th 05, 12:08 PM
Martin Farrell

Richard wrote
Hi. I'm trying to obtain single copper clad board that allows me to end up
with a board 245mm x 348mm. I can do it with two pieces for sure, but I'd
prefer one peice. Anybody know who sells in UK pieces large enough? Would
buy from US or whatever if not available in UK. TIA.

I recommend http://www.megauk.com/ which sells much bigger sizes than
this but there is a £15 minimum order.

--
Martin G8ASG
Old January 14th 05, 02:15 PM
Old Macdonald

Anybody know who sells in UK pieces large enough? Would
buy from US or whatever if not available in UK. TIA.

I think that you will find them available from "RadioSpares", but they are
not cheap. I bought one from them a few years ago. Today I would try Farnell
in the UK, and I think they even have a catalogue on line :-)

If you do not succeed in the UK, then elsewhere inEurope you could try
http://www.elfa.com , which is still in Europe, but not England. Search for
product number 49-573-87, which is 1.55mm thick 35 u cu and is 300mm x
400mm. They have even bigger than that (49-573-95) which is 400mm x 600mm.

If you have difficulty getting it, or finding the page, then drop me a line
via e-mail at as I live just up the road from them.

Have a nice weekend - HM

Old January 14th 05, 02:17 PM
Old Macdonald

Anybody know who sells in UK pieces large enough? Would
buy from US or whatever if not available in UK. TIA.

The Elfa URL is
http://www.elfa.se/elfa-bin/setpage....dok=162098.htm
and all prices are in SEK (Swedish crown £1 = SEK13).

HM

Old January 14th 05, 02:54 PM
Richard

"Martin Farrell" wrote in message
Richard wrote
Hi. I'm trying to obtain single copper clad board that allows me to end

up
with a board 245mm x 348mm. I can do it with two pieces for sure, but

I'd
prefer one peice. Anybody know who sells in UK pieces large enough?

Would
buy from US or whatever if not available in UK. TIA.

I recommend http://www.megauk.com/ which sells much bigger sizes than
this but there is a £15 minimum order.

--
Martin G8ASG

Hi. Thanks.

If I changed the size that I was prepared to have to 9" x 12" I could get 2
uncoated FR4 (No. 16-21016, 18" x 24"). That comes to £35.84 (postage
included). So each would cost me £4.48. Don't know whether that cheap
or expensive not having bought any laminate before.

Think is, how do I cut this? Anyone developed a cheap solution for shearing
PCB laminate?

Old January 14th 05, 03:56 PM
Leon Heller

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller
"Richard" wrote in message

[...]

I score it deeply on both sides with a Stanley knife and snap it.

73, Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM

Old January 14th 05, 04:33 PM
J M Noeding

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:56:45 -0000, "Leon Heller"
wrote:

Hi. Thanks.

If I changed the size that I was prepared to have to 9" x 12" I could get
2
uncoated FR4 (No. 16-21016, 18" x 24"). That comes to £35.84 (postage
included). So each would cost me £4.48. Don't know whether that cheap
or expensive not having bought any laminate before.

Think is, how do I cut this? Anyone developed a cheap solution for
shearing
PCB laminate?

I score it deeply on both sides with a Stanley knife and snap it.

73, Leon

you cut it with plate scissors, and make the pattern with dentist
drill and a steel ruler, the latter is important support since the
dentist drill is almost impossible to steer without 60 degree angle
against the ruler. It improves the operation with a thin leather under
the ruler
Hope I made myself understandable in a foreign language, have some
remarks on my home-page

73
jan-martin
---
J. M. Noeding, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/c.htm
Old January 14th 05, 05:01 PM
J M Noeding

The pcb cutting pattern cut process is shown on
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/c21.htm as note 21.17

will try to write some better understandable text later (I have some
problems since there is two different parts here with the name "drill"
in English, and many other in other situations....

73, Jan-Martin, LA8AK
---
Old January 14th 05, 05:35 PM
Richard

"Leon Heller" wrote in message
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

I score it deeply on both sides with a Stanley knife and snap it.

That's real cheap method. :c)

Well, I went ahead and bought 2 off 18" x 24" plain copper clad board from
megaUK..com. Don't know why postage for 1 plate of laminate is is £2.50 and
for 2 is £5.00. Otherwise competitive I think.

Old January 19th 05, 11:47 PM
Highland Ham

Think is, how do I cut this? Anyone developed a cheap solution for
shearing
PCB laminate?

=================================
Score the sheet with a heavy duty blade knive as often used by people laying
carpets. You can then easily break-off the unwanted bit .
After that you can smoothen the edges with fine water proof amaril paper
(the grey sheet stuff) or simply with a file.

Has worked fine for me.

BTW At radio flea markets on the european continent ,for example in
Germany , Belgium and the Netherlands ,large sheets of (usually
double-sided ) PCB are available for a few Euros. Cut-offs are often sold
by weight. There will be a big fleamarket in the Netherlands at Rosmalen at
the Autotron Exhibition Centre , date 19 March 2005. Perhaps you can find a
Dutch Ham going there to get the stuff for you. This year I won't be going .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH