Old May 19th 18, 01:00 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Beware the DHL!

Ordered a BREXIT kit from India, came via DHL, and had
to pay VAT and another charge which I suspect might be
customs duty, but I thought electronic kits were duty free?

Never had this problem with Chinese bits and pieces
(Not the Dave Clark Five :-) )
Old May 19th 18, 01:02 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default DUUUH!!!!!!! Beware the DHL!

On 19/05/2018 13:00, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Ordered a BREXIT kit from India, came via DHL, andÂ* had
to pay VAT and anotherÂ* charge which I suspect might be
customs duty, but I thought electronic kits were duty free?

Never had this problem with Chinese bits and pieces
(Not the Dave Clark FiveÂ* :-)Â*Â* )

Typo / senior moment ...

S/BREXIT/BITX/

Old May 19th 18, 01:35 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , Gareth's Downstairs Computer
writes
On 19/05/2018 13:00, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Ordered a BREXIT kit from India, came via DHL, and* had
to pay VAT and another* charge which I suspect might be
customs duty, but I thought electronic kits were duty free?
Never had this problem with Chinese bits and pieces
(Not the Dave Clark Five* :-)** )

Typo / senior moment ...

S/BREXIT/BITX/

You need to make sure that the sender marks the goods with the
appropriate customs code (you'll need to Google).

--
Ian
Old May 19th 18, 03:13 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ian Jackson Wrote in message:
In message , Gareth's Downstairs Computer
writes
On 19/05/2018 13:00, Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
Ordered a BREXIT kit from India, came via DHL, and had
to pay VAT and another charge which I suspect might be
customs duty, but I thought electronic kits were duty free?
Never had this problem with Chinese bits and pieces
(Not the Dave Clark Five :-) )

Typo / senior moment ...

S/BREXIT/BITX/

You need to make sure that the sender marks the goods with the
appropriate customs code (you'll need to Google).

--
Ian

It also depends on the country the goods come from and the value,
if duty is (potentially) due, it depends on the
amount if they bother to collect it.
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old May 20th 18, 09:18 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sat, 19 May 2018 13:00:01 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Gareth's Downstairs Computer
disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

Ordered a BREXIT kit from India, came via DHL, and had
to pay VAT and another charge which I suspect might be
customs duty, but I thought electronic kits were duty free?

It is the admin charge that the carrier levies that hacks me off. It
is often more expensive than the VAT/Duty charged for the things I
buy. I actually got it refunded once as I claimed that I had not
agreed to it.

Thank goodness the Chinese are creative in filling out the customs
forms. However, how anybody can believe what they write is beyond me.
2c for a heavy package?
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

Old May 20th 18, 10:53 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

and wrote:

Ordered a BREXIT kit from India, came via DHL, and had
to pay VAT and another charge which I suspect might be
customs duty, but I thought electronic kits were duty free?

It is the admin charge that the carrier levies that hacks me off. It
is often more expensive than the VAT/Duty charged for the things I
buy. I actually got it refunded once as I claimed that I had not
agreed to it.

Can't fathom out an admin charge when it's been DHL all the way from India.

Old May 20th 18, 01:33 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sun, 20 May 2018 10:53:17 +0100, just as I was about to take a
and wrote:

Can't fathom out an admin charge when it's been DHL all the way from India.

AIUI, it is for collecting the fee and passing it on to HMRC. £15 is
as much a rip-off for that as it was for banks charging £25 for a
computer-generated letter. Any such fee should be included in the cost
of all international parcels/packages as they all have to go though
customs to check for illegal stuff.
--
73 de Guy G4DWV 4X1LT

TD COMMUNICATIONS -BEWARE Ralph M. Ferrara Boatanchors 0 February 3rd 07 01:45 AM
Beware of new Laptops DrDeath Policy 15 August 19th 06 05:46 PM
(OT) Beware Mr Bill E Shortwave 2 August 14th 04 07:20 PM
Beware Steveo CB 9 December 10th 03 03:23 AM
Beware of VK2UN ! M.E. Swap 3 August 30th 03 01:37 PM