Old May 12th 05, 02:42 AM
John Smith

Roy:

I have pointed out your EZNEC to the Ghz "Wireless WAN/LAN
Raiders"--"Wireless Cam Raiders"-- here...

Trust me, there are young minds attempting to design new antennas for
routers and tapping into wireless cams here....

I have seen some thought provoking ideas they are building... now the big
thing is "passive repeaters".... antennas to bend signals around houses
and down blocks... around sound walls, etc. But some are of even active
design... they sqeeze miles out of wireless router signal!!!!

These young guys can put some strange designs to work out of threaded rods,
washers, coffee cans, sheet metal, stovepipe, old 18"--6 foot aluminum
dishes, coathangers and bbq grills, short bits of copper wire soldered along
yardlong+ copper tubing, etc... EZNEC is there!!!

Farthest guy stays tapped in to the garage net here from his home 2+ miles
away... on a router/switch meant for home use!!!

My first antenna was a 120 ft long wire for sw--theirs is usually of a 2100
Mhz design!!!

Only thing I caution them of is high rf levels at these freqs--they have
little fear of microwaves until the dangers are made clear... they
constantly search ebay for microwave mosfets... when they mention ideas of a
PA out of a microwave oven--one does do some worry...

I built a crystal radio as my first project, didn't everyone back then? I
stand in awe....

Warmest regards,
John
--
Sit down the six-pack!!! STEP AWAY!!! ...and go do something...

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
| Joel Kolstad wrote:
| . . .
| How many of those 2.5 million hams possess a copy of EZNEC, I wonder?
:-)

Old May 12th 05, 02:49 AM
Joel Kolstad

"John Smith" wrote in message
Only thing I caution them of is high rf levels at these freqs--they have
little fear of microwaves until the dangers are made clear... they
constantly search ebay for microwave mosfets... when they mention ideas of a
PA out of a microwave oven--one does do some worry...

I'd worry aout someone who starts suggesting disassembling a microwave oven
too...

On the other hand, if they get themselves a bunch of microwave 'FETs from
eBay, by the time they actually manage to make a working power amplifier
they'll have had to absorb so much knowledge that they'll undoubtedly already
appreciate how much power they're playing around with!

Old May 12th 05, 03:01 AM
John Smith

Joel:

Do a search of the net, you will see some of the designs, circuits, boards
there...
These kids are a real network of hobbyists... takes 'em about a week to pick
it up (well, that might be exaggerating)...

.... and while they mention the microwave oven--I don't think anyone is
attempting it!!! Think of the poor birds landing on that antenna and trying
to keep warm in the winter!!! frown

Warmest regards,
John

Old May 12th 05, 04:54 AM
Joel Kolstad

Hi John,

"John Smith" wrote in message
Do a search of the net, you will see some of the designs, circuits, boards
there...

Any pointers to 802.11b/g amplifiers? Most of the results I get Googling are
for the more "traditional" designs (from RF component vendors, booksellers,
etc.) -- I didn't see any homebrew 2.4GHz amp schematics aimed at the casusal
WiFi enthusiast.

... and while they mention the microwave oven--I don't think anyone is
attempting it!!!

Someone claiming they can take a magnetron from a $59 Wal*Mart microwave oven
and turn it into a reasonably linear power amplifier has a pretty poor
understanding just what it is that (1) amplifiers and (2) magnetrons from
cheap microwave ovens are meant to do. :-)

Old May 12th 05, 04:45 PM
John Smith

That guy was calling me a "Troll", NOT encouraging you to become one!

John