Old March 6th 04, 01:26 PM
SouthDakotaRadio

Default Why do hams always stand in the way of progress?

In the 80s, it was their steadfast opposition to creation of a codeless amateur
license class.

In the 90s, it was Low Earth Orbiting Satellites (LEOs.)

Today, it is Broadband via Power Lines (BPL.)

In earlier times, hams were known for being on the cutting edge of technology.
But in recent years, hams are known for repeatedly trying to stand in the way
of new technology.

Sad irony, isn't it?
Old March 7th 04, 05:03 AM
Rocinante

On 06 Mar 2004 13:26:30 GMT, SouthDakotaRadio wrote:

In the 80s, it was their steadfast opposition to creation of a codeless amateur
license class.

In the 90s, it was Low Earth Orbiting Satellites (LEOs.)

Today, it is Broadband via Power Lines (BPL.)

In earlier times, hams were known for being on the cutting edge of technology.
But in recent years, hams are known for repeatedly trying to stand in the way
of new technology.

Sad irony, isn't it?

Because they are anti-social, anti-government old nerds?
They are probably divorced because they rather stay indoors with their
radios.

--
Don't worry about life; you're not going to survive it anyway.
3/6/2004 11:59:36 PM

Old March 7th 04, 06:12 AM
ff-paramedic

Troll. You obviously have not done your research on BPL, otherwise you'd
realize that not only are hams pointing out the shortcomings of BPL, but so
are many other groups. BPL is a poor compromise and there are plenty of
alternatives to its use.

JT

Old March 7th 04, 02:36 PM

Well Me Jon, the only reason your are NOT on HF is your ham ticket.
It's a "TECHNICIAN" class.

There are many more operations on HF (shortwave) than you have stated.

I don't know how they give ham tests in AZ, but in the eastern part of
the country we are not "SWORN" in or take any kind of oath. And yes, I
agree that most ham do spend tons of hard earned money on their gear,
especially IF your on HF.

"Jon M. Hanson" wrote:

There are many interferance issues with BPL especially at shortwave
frequencies. It's not only amateur radio operators that use these
frequencies but the military and federal government do as well. Amateur
radio operators are sworn to provide emergency communications in times of
national disaster when other forms of communication are down or
overwhelmed. They are simply bringing to the regulatory agency's attention
the possibility of them not being able to fulfull their duties if they are
needed.
How would you feel if a hobby that you have spent a lot of time and
money in is suddenly rendered worthless?
Disclaimer: I am an amateur radio operator (N7ZVJ) but I don't
operate at shortwave frequencies.

Old March 7th 04, 03:40 PM
Jon M. Hanson

wrote in :

Well Me Jon, the only reason your are NOT on HF is your ham ticket.
It's a "TECHNICIAN" class.

There are many more operations on HF (shortwave) than you have stated.

I don't know how they give ham tests in AZ, but in the eastern part of
the country we are not "SWORN" in or take any kind of oath. And yes, I
agree that most ham do spend tons of hard earned money on their gear,
especially IF your on HF.

It is true I have a technician class license but that's all I wanted.
I live in a covenant-controlled community so I can't put up huge yagi
antennas to operate on HF. I know you can get smaller profile antennas that
fit in an attic but I am more than comfortable with my license now.
I wasn't "sworn" to do anything either. That was perhaps the wrong
term. What I should have said was that amateur radio's charter is to
provide emergency communications when needed (I don't know if that was a
condition of the FCC granting frequency space or something the ARRL came up
with).
What I'm worried about is that commercial interests seem to have
precedence over amateur radio interests. Ever since BPL has been talked
about the ARRL has been showing in their tests the harmful interference,
yet BPL has continued to move forward. The reason is because BPL has money
behind it; us amateur radio operators don't have lobbying groups (maybe the
ARRL does lobbying but I doubt it). I don't even operate in HF so this
issue doesn't affect me but I can see where it's going.
Old March 8th 04, 10:01 AM

Check this out Buddy, you don't know enough about me to make a comment
like that.

It's not about the call sign, it's about the CLASS of license. I have
had a one by three call for forty years, that doesn't mean I have had
the same class of license all that time. I have friends that have two by
three calls and are extra's.

And yes Jon, I do agree with you that commercial companies would most
likely put in some big bucks to get there way with the government. Isn't
that the way it's done all of the time. Money talks the loudest.

I would bet the ARRL is in someone's pocket at the FCC. How about FCC
Chairman Michael J Powell, his father is the Secretary of State. Doubt
me? Look it up. A lot of hand holding goes on in DC.

Never anonymous Bud wrote:

While still snuggled in a 'spider hole', scribbled:

Well Me Jon, the only reason your are NOT on HF is your ham ticket.
It's a "TECHNICIAN" class.

You don't know much about ham callsigns, do you??

To reply by email, remove the XYZ.

This sig censored by the Office of Home and Land Insecurity....