Old March 12th 06, 01:21 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Butch Magee

Default The smallest Baird Televisor?

Plod's Conscience wrote:
My local garage is selling laser devices that project
a straight line for just under a fiver. I wonder if these
devices (with the lens removed so that they just
produce a single spot) could be modulated to be
the light source in a Baird Televisor?

Also, I wonder what is the smallest such Televisor
that has been produced?

What a Televisor?
KF5DE
Old March 12th 06, 05:46 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Plod's Conscience

It was the name given to the receiver end of the Baird
mechanical TV system, used by the BBC before
Britland went out and started WWII.

30-line picture, transmitted in audio bandwidth.

A similar scanning system appears (from the nature
of the picture) to be used in some of the security
cameras that rely on detecting bodily emissions.
(Difficulty of getting a sensor that can work over the
area of a pictur)

Old March 12th 06, 07:46 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jimbo...

What a Televisor?
KF5DE

.....it is a bit like an Interositer.

Old March 12th 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
The Magnum

"Butch Magee" wrote in message
Plod's Conscience wrote:
My local garage is selling laser devices that project
a straight line for just under a fiver. I wonder if these
devices (with the lens removed so that they just
produce a single spot) could be modulated to be
the light source in a Baird Televisor?

Also, I wonder what is the smallest such Televisor
that has been produced?

What a Televisor?
KF5DE

A television transmitter.
A broadcaster of television programs; a telecaster.

Regards,
Graham
--
-.-. -... / .-. .- -.. .. ---

Radio is only a Hobby. Don't let it rule your life...

73/51 - Graham, 26-Golf Charlie-19

Old March 12th 06, 06:49 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Plod's Conscience

Default Optical Communications? RSCB Irrelevance? (Was : The smallest Baird Televisor?)

Played with it last night.

Powered as it is by AAA cells, it seems to have
a greater power, and a greater reserve of power, than
those laserpointers powered by watch batteries.

Allowing for the lens that is used to produce the
straight line beam, the spot from the end was
easily picked out on a gravestone 1/4 mile away,
thus suggesting that a tight beam is being produced.

As these beasties come in a mounting that already
has facilities for screw fixing, perhaps there is
potential capability for optical communications?

(Brian - in your experiments with the Fullerphone, you
ran away from the question as to whether you crossed
a property boundary, so....

1. Did you cross a property boundary?
2. Why do you run away from this and so many other questions?
3. Is your attitude what we must all now expect from the RSCB?)

Old March 12th 06, 09:22 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay

"Plod's Conscience" wrote in message
oups.com...
Played with it last night.

Powered as it is by AAA cells, it seems to have
a greater power, and a greater reserve of power, than
those laserpointers powered by watch batteries.

Given the relative size of AAA and "watch batteries", this is hardly
surprising.

Allowing for the lens that is used to produce the
straight line beam, the spot from the end was
easily picked out on a gravestone 1/4 mile away,
thus suggesting that a tight beam is being produced.

Laser's are coherent sources, the "ASER" stands for Amplification by
Stimulated Emission of Radiation- the crucial phenomena in the operation of
lasers and masers. The emitted photon is in phase with the stimulating
photon.

As these beasties come in a mounting that already
has facilities for screw fixing, perhaps there is
potential capability for optical communications?

Been done. UK record, as of a couple of years back at least, was something
like 75km. There is project in the latest RSGB handbook (if you are
interesed I'll look up the page, I noticed the article but haven't read the
detail).

--
73
Brian

Old March 12th 06, 09:41 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Gordon Hudson

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

[...]

Many years ago Practical Wireless had adesign for turning every ready
torches (the ones with the big 9v batteries) into a transmitter and receiver
by amplitude modulating the bulb.
It actually worked (over about 20 feet).

Old March 12th 06, 09:51 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay

"Gordon Hudson" wrote in message
Been done. UK record, as of a couple of years back at least, was

something
like 75km. There is project in the latest RSGB handbook (if you are
interesed I'll look up the page, I noticed the article but haven't read
the detail).

Many years ago Practical Wireless had adesign for turning every ready
torches (the ones with the big 9v batteries) into a transmitter and
receiver by amplitude modulating the bulb.
It actually worked (over about 20 feet).

Remember it (or one like it) well- it was one of the many projects I tried
as a youngster. (Same sort of time I played with the Fuller Phone).

With a laser pointer but I'm not sure how linear the transfer function is-
ie is it linear enough to make AM viable. I've not looked into this but
maybe someone will know.

--
73
Brian

Old March 12th 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Spike

Brian Reay wrote:

"Plod's Conscience" wrote

Played with it last night.

Perhaps he and Nedlar could get together; Nedlar didn't seem to have
much to do last night either.

Powered as it is by AAA cells, it seems to have
a greater power, and a greater reserve of power, than
those laserpointers powered by watch batteries.

Given the relative size of AAA and "watch batteries", this is hardly
surprising.

Well, quite.

The shortest Google search would have turned up the information needed
to avoid him making such an obvious statement. A CR2032 battery has a
capacity of 220 mAh at a current drain of 0.2 m/A.A modern AAA battery
far exceeds that - I've left it as an exercise for the OP to search
for that info..

Allowing for the lens that is used to produce the
straight line beam, the spot from the end was
easily picked out on a gravestone 1/4 mile away,
thus suggesting that a tight beam is being produced.

A 'tight beam' would indicate a spot not much larger than the laser
source. Unfortunately, the lack of *any* objective statement in the
above gives no indication that the beam was 'tight', merely that it
reached it's target.

Laser's are coherent sources, the "ASER" stands for Amplification by
Stimulated Emission of Radiation- the crucial phenomena in the operation of
lasers and masers. The emitted photon is in phase with the stimulating
photon.

As these beasties come in a mounting that already
has facilities for screw fixing, perhaps there is
potential capability for optical communications?

Been done. UK record, as of a couple of years back at least, was something
like 75km. There is project in the latest RSGB handbook (if you are
interesed I'll look up the page, I noticed the article but haven't read the
detail).

Nothing new there with Gareth reinventing the wheel; it's very similar
(perhaps part of the same syndrome?) to his continually re-writing
history in his own vein.

from
Aero Spike
Old March 12th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Brian Reay

"Spike" wrote in message

A 'tight beam' would indicate a spot not much larger than the laser
source. Unfortunately, the lack of *any* objective statement in the
above gives no indication that the beam was 'tight', merely that it
reached it's target.

I half suspect the lens is present to spread the beam- to make it large
enough to see a worthwhile "spot.

--
73
Brian