Old July 4th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
MAc MAc is offline

Default quadrature detector & SSB

AndyS napisa?(a):
I bet we agree on almost
everything.....

Generally Yesss

But (always but) :-))))

I never used mc3372 as ssb rx, but permanently used mc3362.
But... - mc3362 id dual conversion RX and i used second mixer as a
product detector leaving original fm detector "out of business".
I am not good in quadrature detectors, and i don't know what
(technically) is mixer (rather mixers) in ad607. I have only 1 piece of
IC, it's surface mount, and I'm afraid, that if I use it in my test
board I will have nothing to use in my receiver.

Of course I used ne602/612 in many constructions, (genetally trx with
switched BFO/VFO - Atlas idea), but this time the idea is to use as low
elements as possible to build a rx with "quite good" performance.

Serious (other or better ;-) ) idea in my wokshop is TGX with1st mixer
on fst3125 with companion of ad600 IF ampli (only one) in typical
application (application note with simple ad590 and one transistor AGC)
- not this "high performance agc system from Exp. Methods...

On the other hand - it is the best way in our HAM life - to use parts in
the way, which was not inntended by "creators". It's a part of our love
to ham radio :-)

Nice and inspirating talk Andy. Greetings from Poland

MAc
sp9mrn
Old July 5th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

W3JDR wrote:
Andy,

You really should go and read the data sheet on the AD607.

Andy replies,

You're right. I should have dug a little further before I started
rattling off "the world according to Andy"....
When the OP started with the "quadrature det" question and
the reply was concerning I/Q , I just jumped right in...

Sorry I wasted your time......

Andy W4OAH

Old July 5th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

MAc wrote:.
I have only 1 piece of
IC, it's surface mount, and I'm afraid, that if I use it in my test
board I will have nothing to use in my receiver.

Andy writes:

God how I hate surface mount.... It used to be that I could send
away for a freebee, or buy a chip from Digikey, and get normal,
civilized, 1/10 lead spacing pins that I could use in a socket, or
use the pins as tie point for "dead bug".....
I could build a circuit up as fast as I could go and the connecting
of the parts together was an insignificant part of the process...

NOW, for the last several years, all freebees I have received have
been surface mount. I have to work under a magnifying glass, with
a special thingy for my soldering iron, and use small pieces of copper
wire strand that I get out of lamp cord to expand the chip to the point
where I can actually attach resistors and capacitors.... it takes more
time
to expand the surface mount than to build the rest of the circuit... As
result, I lose enthusiasm a lot......

I have a few things that I have done with surface mount, but I long
for the good old days...... Fortunately, I have about 30 years of
accumulated freebees that I haven't gotten around to using, and can
usually come up with a way to build something.... However, the miracle
chips (as I call them) that Analog Dev, and others, are coming out with
are just too damn much trouble for me.......

If anyone here has some SIMPLE solutions for the surface mount thing,
that does NOT include making a custom PC board, I'd like to learn
about them.....

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Old July 5th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

AndyS wrote:

If anyone here has some SIMPLE solutions for the surface mount thing,
that does NOT include making a custom PC board, I'd like to learn
about them.....

Take a look at Surfboards, stocked by Digi-Key:

http://dkc3.digikey.com/PDF/T062/1634.pdf

Dana K6JQ
Old July 5th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"MAc" wrote in message
How to use quadrature detector to demodulate cw and ssb. I want to use
AD607 in simple project. There is Quadrature detector on "the end" with
two outputs I&Q - and internal phase shifter. How to detest SSB simplest
way?

73

mac

With all that...

AD607 does NOT have a "quadrature detector". It has an "I & Q demodulator".
BIG difference. You must read the datasheet and app notes to use it
correctly. It is capable of demudulating many types of modulation. [typo
accepted]

73, Steve, K9DCI

Old July 5th 06, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
MAc MAc is offline

Steve N. napisał(a):

AD607 does NOT have a "quadrature detector". It has an "I & Q demodulator".
BIG difference. You must read the datasheet and app notes to use it
correctly. It is capable of demudulating many types of modulation. [typo
accepted]

My mistake, I undersand. But datasheet says nothing more exept "it is
possible to detect ssb with ad607"

Thanks
MAc
Old July 6th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

MAc wrote:
Steve N. napisał(a):

AD607 does NOT have a "quadrature detector". It has an "I & Q
demodulator".
BIG difference. You must read the datasheet and app notes to use it
correctly. It is capable of demudulating many types of modulation.
[typo
accepted]

My mistake, I undersand. But datasheet says nothing more exept "it is
possible to detect ssb with ad607"

Thanks
MAc

Do a search on the phasing method of SSB reception, then the "Weaver"
method. Either of those should get you a block diagram showing what to
do with the I and Q outputs.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Old July 7th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I never tried to use this chip as an SSB detector, but I did design an AM
sync detector a couple of years back. I remember that I had to limit the
input level to around 30uV when used in the fashion, but it wasn't bad for
that purpose.

Pete

"MAc" wrote in message
AndyS wrote:
A Quadrature detector is normally used only for FM demodulation.

Yes.

but (from Analog Devices):
"...Applications of the AD607 include narrowband systems with a high first
IF (21.4 MHz to 300 MHz) and a second IF at 10.7 MHz, 455 kHz, or 450 kHz.
These include Dual Conversion IS136, GSM, TETRA, and MSAT Receivers; and
Single or Dual Conversion VHF and HF AM, SSB, CW, or QPSK Receivers... "

But :-) I did not find any SSB application :-( So I need an example.

Just my two cents worth.... If anyone disagrees, I'd be happy to
learn from them where my explanation is wrong..... but I warn you,
it ain't far wrong.... cause it worked for me for many many years
in designing receivers for both commercial and military products
...:)))))

Andy Thanks for your cents, rather dollars.

PS there is internal quadrature pll in ad607.

MAc

Old July 7th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"MAc" wrote in message
Steve N. napisał(a):

AD607 does NOT have a "quadrature detector". It has an "I & Q

demodulator".
BIG difference. You must read the datasheet and app notes to use it
correctly. It is capable of demudulating many types of modulation.

[typo
accepted]

My mistake, I undersand. But datasheet says nothing more exept "it is
possible to detect ssb with ad607"

Thanks
MAc

OK MAc,
All I know is the I & Q modulator and demodulators are the industry
standard in commercial radios like the ones my company designs. I hrae that
you can get anything you want. I'm too far away from the current designs to
know anything specific.
A Google resulted in this , but it doesn't appear to be a complete how-to.
http://www.merrimacind.com/rfmw/02intro_modulators.pdf

Perhaps someone can explain how to "I & Q" to get SSB, etc.

Good luck 73, K9DCI

Old July 8th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
MAc MAc is offline

Perhaps someone can explain how to "I & Q" to get SSB, etc.

The simplest way I found - is to use an ear in companion of brain - :-)
I am serious - look for "binaural DC receiver" (Exp. Methods in RF
design) when one can see, that "i" is and "q" are simply amplified and
feed headphones. Thats all. But then we have still problem with lsb/usb.

Thanks for link.

MAc
sp9mrn