Old July 1st 16, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default NZART Headquarters Infoline 339

Editor: - Don MacDonald ZL3DMC

NZART Website:
www.nzart.org.nz

-------

Issue 339
Date 01/07/2016

-------

In this Issue

From NZART Headquarters

The CW open contest

Hamilton Market Day

Trans Tasman Low bands Challenge

Official Broadcast

Off Shore News Links

NZART Housekeeping

-------

1. From Headquarters

Debby says…

Conference is over for another year and once again a great weekend was
had by all.

One very important point made during an excellent data display of the
new NZART website by Chris Hellyar ZL3LF. Now more than ever in this
technological age we need to be able to contact you, the members of
NZART by the most efficient method, being e-mails.

Therefore I urge you all to forward me your contact e-mail address so I
can include in the database. The annual subscription invoice will be
posted out with your August Break In, included in this will be another
reminder to supply this to me.

I have also undertaken an update of the NZART examination supervisors on
our current website as much of the information is either obsolete or has
changed. In order for prospective candidates to contact the right person
it is really important to have this as up to date as possible. I will be
in contact with each branch to make sure the details are correct.

Regrettably there are some examiners listed who are no longer members of
NZART and others have incorrect e-mail addresses, can you please respond
to my e-mail and advise amendments accordingly.

Finally, an unusual request from John Longden:

I volunteer with the Thames Coast Kiwi Care Group. We track kiwi
(carrying radio transmitters) with small yagi antennae as part of a
population rebuilding project.

We often have a lot of trouble finding birds in deep bush, and are
trying to find out about some possible improvements to our technology.

I wonder if it is possible to mention us in your communications with
members? We would love to find someone, possibly but not necessarily
local, who has the knowledge and skills to advise us on the radio side
of our project, in particular the construction of yagi antenna suitable
for field use in our terrain.

John Longden
408 Thames Coast Rd
Te Puru
RD5 Thames 3575
Mob 0274 595 596

Talk soon…Debby ZL2DL

-------

2.

The CW Open 2016

Open to amateur radio operators worldwide

The Friendliest Contest in Ham Radio!

 Saturday 3 September 2016

 Everyone works everyone: CW only, Single Op only

 Three sessions, each 4-hours long, at 0000Z, 1200Z and 2000Z

 Any or all HF non-WARC bands (160-10 meters)

 Exchange: QSO number and given name (e.g. 12 Yoshi)

 Work stations once per band per session

 One point per valid QSO

 One multiplier per callsign, first time worked, per session

 Logging supported by: N1MM, WriteLog, SD, Skookum, TR4W,
YFKtest, GenLog, DX Log, CQPWin

 Trophies to winner of each session in each ITU region (1, 2
and 3)

 Plaques to winners of each category in each ITU region (1, 2
and 3)

 Rules at www.cwops.org/cwopen.html

 Teams welcome

-------

3.

It’s that time again.

Hamilton Market Day is just over one month away. It will be on the 13th
of August at the Waikato Table Tennis Stadium in Edgecumbe Street,
Hamilton.

(Street map on the Hamilton Club web site.)(
zl1ux.org.nz/market_day.html)

Sellers start at 8 am and buyers can enter at 10am.

As always there is free entry for buyers and there will be food
available at the cafeteria.

More details on the Hamilton Club web site at
zl1ux.org.nz/market_day.html including a sellers registration form.

I hope to see you there.

-------

4.Trans Tasman Challenge

The Trans Tasman contest has undergone a metamorphosis into a faster
more interesting low bands challenge.

With three modes catered for in SSB CW and Digital (RTTY/PSK) the
contest is now divided into three two hour segments for reworking and
160 80 40 is on the same evening.

This is in the prime time for Low Frequencies (LF) the month of July.

VK6 was long felt left out of the action and the inclusion of 40M will
help them be part of the contest as well as a new Open power category
means that those have trouble making the trip over the ditch are now
able to do it easier.

QRP Medium and High power categories as well as single op and multi op
round out the offering.

Trans Tasman Low Bands Challenge

Prepared by VK4TS and VK4SN

Last amendment 9th May 2016

1. Contest Introduction

This contest is to encourage Low Band Activity in Australia and New
Zealand – The applicable bands are 160, 80 and 40M. The modes
are SSB CW and Digital (RTTY and PSK only)

2. Objective

Amateurs in VK and ZL will endeavour to contact other amateurs in VK and
ZL.

* VK and ZL, means any station operating within Australia or New Zealand
and their external territories.

* Points are only awarded for valid contacts between VK and ZL stations.

The contest is made up of 3 individual two hour blocks – you are
able to work another station once per band and mode in every block.
Every different Prefix used by VK or ZL stations is a valid multiplier
and credit can be claimed once per band per block.

3. Contest Date & Time

The contest is held on the Saturday night of the third full weekend of
July Start Time is 08:00 UTC and finish time is 14:00 UTC 16th July
2016

4. Categories

A. Single Operator – High Power All Modes All Bands
B. Single Operator – Low Power (100 watts)
C. Single Operator – QRP
E. Multi-Operator – Single Transmitter
F. Multi-Operator – Multi Transmitter (One per band)

* QRP stations are limited to 5 Watts average (CW/RTTY/PSK) or PEP (SSB)
at the transmitter output.

Each category will have High Scores for SSB, CW and Digital awards.

Any station in Single or Multi Op may win the Single Mode awards
– BUT Multi ops will not be eligible for single op categories.

NOTE: The Mode scores are purely on the highest score and may be from a
partial log. You do not enter SSB only – rather the log is
determined as having the highest SSB score.

5. Permitted Bands

Contacts may be made on 160M 80M 40M in SSB, CW and Digital (PSK and
RTTY Modes)

NB. PSK and RTTY are the only allowed digital modes and are combined,
not counted separately.

6. Multi-operator Stations

A. Multi-operator single transmitter stations are only allowed one
transmitted signal on air at any time.
If you are using three transceivers to scan the bands, simultaneous
transmission will reclassify you as
Multi Transmitter(Category F.) – your responsibility to stop
multiple transmitters operating.

B. Multi-operator Multi Transmitter stations
a. Are only allowed maximum one transmitted signal per band,
b. Simultaneous transmissions on different bands are permitted.
* Multi-operator stations are mixed mode only.

7. Contacts

A. Suggested Call: “CQ TT”, “CQ
Contest”, or “CQ Test”

B. Exchange: A valid exchange consists of RS(T) followed by a three
figure serial number starting at 001 for each band.

C. No cross band contacts are allowed.

D. Exchange of contact information via satellites, telephones,
repeaters, Echolink, IRLP, or the internet is not in the spirit of the
contest and is banned.

8. Scoring

All contacts are worth one point – Add the number of contacts
made in the two hours and multiply by the different prefixes worked on
each band in that two hours.

NB external territories count as one prefix – eg VK0 counts as
VK0 and not the separate DXCC same as for VK9

e.g. 160 80 40 total contacts 50 X 35 prefixes (total of each band
added) 750 points per hour.

Final Score is the addition of the scores from the three two hour blocks
starting at 08:00; 10:00 & 12:00 UTC

9. Logs

Logs are due in within one week of closure of the contest.

Submit logs to http://www.b4h.net/vkcc/transtasman/

-------

Official Broadcast

The Official Broadcast is made on the last Sunday of each month except:

December when the Broadcast is made on the Sunday before Christmas.

January when there is no broadcast

The broadcast is made on 3900 kHz, and on the National System and local
VHF repeaters.
The broadcast is made at 2000 hours (8:00 pm), with a repeat at 2100
hours (9:00 pm).
Members and Branches are welcome to submit material for inclusion in the
Broadcast to the e-mail or postal address shown below.

ZL2BHF
NZART Headquarters
P O Box 40-525
UPPER HUTT 5140
E-mail
73
Jim ZL2BHF

-------

Off Shore News Links

ARRL News & Features

RSGB News

IARU Region 3

-------

NZART Housekeeping

Next HQ-Infoline:- Friday 15/07/2016. Closing date is Wednesday
13/07/2016.

You have received this message because you are subscribed on an NZART
Infoline list.

If you wish to be removed from this list, please visit:

http://www.nzart.org.nz/join/e-mail-...infoline-list/

END OF INFOLINE 339

Old July 16th 16, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default NZART Headquarters Infoline 340

Editor: - Don MacDonald ZL3DMC

NZART Website:
www.nzart.org.nz

-------

Issue 340
Date 15/07/2016

-------

In this Issue

From NZART Headquarters

Official Broadcast

Off Shore News Links

NZART Housekeeping

-------

Debby says…

I am still waiting on quite a number of branch details for our next call
book. I have included a list of

branches I have yet to hear from in the next Break In. If you send me
this information within the next

week, I am sure your branch name can be removed from that list.

As advised I would be contacting all examination supervisors using the
e-mail addresses advertised

on the NZART web page http://nzart.org.nz/exam/supervisors/

Please check these details, those of you who have not yet heard from me,
as I still have a number

whose e-mails appear to have bounced or are incorrect.

Talk soon…Debby ZL2DL

-------

[...]

Next HQ-Infoline:- Friday 5/08/2016. Closing date is Wednesday
3/08/2016.

You have received this message because you are subscribed on an NZART
Infoline list.

If you wish to be removed from this list, please visit:

http://www.nzart.org.nz/join/e-mail-...infoline-list/

END OF INFOLINE 340

Old August 5th 16, 10:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default NZART Headquarters Infoline 341

Editor: - Don MacDonald ZL3DMC

NZART Website:
www.nzart.org.nz

-------

Issue 341
Date 05/08/2016

-------

In this Issue

From NZART HQ

Westfest 2016

IARU Region 3 newsletter

Official Broadcast

Off Shore News Links

NZART Housekeeping

-------

Debby says…

Branch Listings for Call Book

In the last issue of HQ Info-line I advised that a number of branches
had yet to submit their call book details to be listed in this
year’s edition, I deliberately did not include those branches as
they will be named in the next Break In due out at the beginning of next
month. I would like to thank those who have recently returned their
forms to me, however as the magazine has now gone to print, some of
those branch names will be included. Rest assured I have advised the new
call book compiler Peter Mulhare ZL2IK of your updates.

Annual Subscription Invoice & Rebate

Included in the next Break In will be your invoice for the 2017
subscription year. As with previous years, the rebate of $10 is
applicable to Transmitting and Family membership categories only, until
the end of November this year. The rebate does not include overseas, nor
student memberships. Your Break In address sheet with its new design
should be a good reminder to check inside to make sure you have received
your invoice.

If you have not received an invoice this means that you do not have to
pay, as you have managed to pay in advance throughout the year. For
those of you paying by automatic payment, you will receive an invoice
only to ensure your membership is debited the correct amount. You do not
need to do anything apart from making sure your regular payments
continue.

NZART Council Elections 2017

In the September/October issue of Break In, the returning officer Evan
Sayer will be calling for nominations to Council for the 2017 elections.
Please consider standing, this is an opportunity for you to make those
changes you feel are needed for the benefit of amateur radio.

Request for Information or Equipment

I have been contacted by an off shore amateur who is desperately seeking
parts for the ALIVO Receiver, specifically;

“Coil formers 7 mm diameter with 9mm square base Slugs 6 mm
diameter by 16 mm long:”

This will probably mean more to you than me, but the request has come
from a person whose English is not wonderful, so have tried to copy and
paste his request. Please contact me if you are
able to help.

Second request

The Men’s Shed on the North Shore in Auckland are seeking a
morse key for a lady who would like to keep her WWII morse skills up,
can anyone help with this?

Talk soon…Debby ZL2DL

-------

WESTFEST 2016

10-11 September 2016

Saturday 10 Sept 1030 - 1730

Sunday 11 Sept 0900 - 1230

Venue: Murchison Bowling Clubrooms

Waller St, Murchison

This is an opportunity to show and tell your ham radio activities to
other hams.

For information contact Bob McQuarrie ZL3TY

Phone (03) 7687388 or 027 420 8043

-------

3.

IARU Region 3 Newsletter

A word from the Chairman

Work is going on in preparation for WRC19. As mentioned earlier
harmonization of the 50 MHz band is the primary objective and many
volunteers have been attending the different committee meetings in
Geneva. It is going to be a long road.

We in Region 3 are working on improving communications with member
societies. A number of suggestions have come in including an interactive
section on the webpage where societies themselves can edit and change
their information. The webmaster is working on this but at the moment
has not had good results on a working model.

The next major event in our region is the Tokyo HamFair which will be
held at the Bigsight exhibition centre on the 20th and 21st August 2016.
This event attracts visitors from all over the world and is a very good
opportunity for meeting old friends and making new ones.

New models of radios are usually launched during the exhibition and it
is an opportunity to keep abreast of latest technology.

Several interesting meetings from various interest groups also take
place during that time. The directors will be meeting in Tokyo in
August immediately following the Tokyo Hamfair.

The IARU HF contest has just concluded and some directors and the
secretary took part handing out the R3 multiplier. Conditions on the
higher bands were very poor and scores correspondingly lower than last
year.

We urge all societies to contribute news items for the newsletter- our
editor has a very hard time gathering information!

Gopal VU2GMN

Amateur Radio Display on the Border

The World Amateur Radio Day Every held on the 18th of April this year is
when IARU Member-Societies and their affiliated clubs show the capacity
of radio amateurs and their benefit to society.

This year the Albury Wodonga Amateur Radio Club held a four day
exhibition to celebrate World Amateur Radio Day. The event took place in
the Albury City Library and Museum. A variety of items related to
Amateur Radio including some older equipment and QSL cards were on
display. The special event station VK2EWC was active on 7.120MHz,
21.210MHz, and 14.210MHz plus contact through the VK2RAY repeater. A
commemorative QSL card and eQSL was available for all contacts. What a
great initiative of the Albury Wodonga Amateur Radio Club. What is your
club going to do in 2017?

WIA

IARU becomes custodian of operating standards booklet

Over the last eight years, the booklet “Ethics and Operating
Procedures

for the Radio Amateur” has become a respected work describing
the best standards of operating on the amateur bands. Translated into
most major languages, the booklet by John Devoldere, ON4UN and Mark

Demeuleneere, ON4WW, is a valuable reference work for all radio
amateurs. The booklet can be found at
http://www.hamradio-operating-ethics.org/

Mark and John recently contacted IARU, explaining that they felt it
appropriate for IARU to become the custodian of the booklet into the
future, with the scope to adapt and update it to ensure it remains
relevant and current.

The IARU Administrative Council accepted this offer with gratitude to
John and Mark for the work they have put into the document. On May 5th
2016, Mark and John met Don Beattie, G3BJ, President IARU Region 1, in
Brussels to officially hand over the document. IARU will now carry
forward the work in future years to ensure its continuing relevance and
currency.

Any additional information can be obtained from the International
Amateur Radio Union, PO Box 310905, Newington, CT 06131-0905 USA Phone
+1 860 594 0200, Fax +1 860 594 0259.

IARU

IARU Region 1 Agrees Provisional 5 MHz Bandplan

At its April 2016 IARU Interim HF Band Planning Conference in Vienna it
was unanimously agreed, following a paper presented by the RSGB
’s HF Manager, Ian Greenshields G4FSU, a basic provisional
Bandplan for the new 5 MHz WRC15 allocation. The plan is intentionally
very simple as the band is too narrow for any detailed planning.

The following shows the proposed Bandplan and the bandwidths for the 5
MHz WRC-15 allocation for Region 1 with a view to harmonising this
across all regions:

5351.5 – 5354 kHz 200Hz CW/narrowband modes

5354.0- 5366 kHz 2700Hz All modes, USB voice recommended.

5366.0-5366.5 kHz 20Hz Weak signal narrowband modes.

It is strongly recommended that frequencies within the WRC-15
allocation only be used if there are no other frequencies available at 5
MHz under domestic (I TU-R article 4.4 ) permissions. Local nets and
long rag chew QSOs should not use the 5 MHz WRC-15 allocation, but
should instead make use of the 3.5 MHz, 5 MHz domestic or 7 MHz bands
where there is more spectrum available.

Please note the Bandplan is not valid until the WRC15 frequencies are
made available by your regulator.

IARU R 1

AIST-2D and SamSat-218 satellites

Two Russian satellites AIST-2D and SamSat-218 operating in the Amateur
bands were launched on April 28, 2016 at 02:01 UT on a Soyuz 2-1A launch
vehicle from the new Vostochny Cosmodrome located in the Amur Oblast

The satellites were placed into a 471 km × 485 km orbit with a
97.3° inclination.

AIST-2D weighs 500 kg and is a technology demonstration and scientific
research satellite developed at Samara Aerospace University. The 3U
CubeSat SamSat-218 was developed by students at the Samara State
University and weighs just 4 kg.

Frequency information from Dmitry R4UAB http://r4uab.ru/?p842

AIST-2D / RS-48 Downlinks
• 435.3065 - 435.3235 MHz Telemetry Data
• 435.3565 - 435.3735 MHz Telemetry Data
• 433 - 438 MHz 200 watt Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)
• 8025 - 8393 MHz Remote Sensing Data
AIST-2D / RS-48 Uplinks
• 145.831 - 145.849 MHz Control Link
• 145.861 - 145.879 MHz Control Link

SamSat-218
• 145.850 - 145.890 MHz TRXSSAU downlink
• 435.590 - 435.610 MHz TRXSSAU uplink

AIST-2D
http://spaceflight101.com/soyuz-lomonosov/aist-2d/

SamSat-218
http://spaceflight101.com/soyuz-lomonosov/samsat-218d/

432-438 MHz was allocated to the Earth Exploration Satellite Service
(Active) at WRC-03
https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r...-200305-S!!PDF
-E.pdf

AMSAT-UK

R3 Director gives IARU Presentation to HARTS Annual Dinner

Director Peter Young, VK3MV, at the invitation from HARTS on his way
home from the US, gave a presentation on the International Governance
Arrangements and the Role of the IARU at the HARTS Annual dinner held
28th May this year.

In his presentation Young cover how the ITU addresses the arrangements
for upcoming World Radio Conference (2019) and how the IARU organizes
its response through participation in various Study Groups and
conferences. Young went onto provide an overview of what the Regional
Directors are currently engaged in since the last R3 Conference in Bali.

The HARTS annual dinner is very well attended by some 300 members of the
Society as well as invited guests and technical presenters.

Thanks to Johnny and Sunny for the photo from the dinner.

R3 Director Peter Young

IARU Region 3 Directory

Official R3 Directory. Further information can be found on the Region 3
website: http://iaru-r3.org/staff-list/

Society Update Officials and Contact Information

A request is extended to all Region 3 Society Liaison Officers or other
responsible officers to ensure that all details about their society is
up to date on the listings shown at http://iaru-r3.org/ under member
societies. Some details have not been amended or updated for a number of
years and have non functional data.

Current details can be forwarded to the Secretary of Region 3 for
updating of the web information.

Newsletter details:

The Region 3 Web Site: Go to: http://www.iaru-r3.org.

Editor: Peter Young, Director IARU Region3.

E-mail: petervk3mv at tpg.com.au

Region 3 Societies can submit articles for inclusion to the next
bulletin by 30th September 2016.

Publisher: The International Amateur Radio Union Region 3
P. O. Box 73, Toshima, Tokyo 170-8691, Japan.

Office: c/o JARL 3-43-1 Minamiotsuka, Toshima-ku, Tokyo, Japan

E-mail:

Tel: +81 3 3988-8753 Fax: +81 3 3988 8772

The statements or opinions in this Newsletter do not, unless otherwise
stated, necessarily reflect the views of IARU Region 3, the Directors or
the Secretariat..

Note to Editors - Items from this Newsletter may be freely copied for
publication by Member Societies of IARU.

IARU Region 3

-------

[...]

Next HQ-Infoline:- Friday 19/08/2016. Closing date is Wednesday
17/08/2016.

-------

You have received this message because you are subscribed on an NZART
Infoline list.

If you wish to be removed from this list, please visit:

http://www.nzart.org.nz/join/e-mail-...infoline-list/

END OF INFOLINE 341

Old August 19th 16, 10:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default NZART Headquarters Infoline 342

Editor: - Don MacDonald ZL3DMC

NZART Website:
www.nzart.org.nz

-------

Issue 342
Date 19/08/2016

-------

In this Issue

From NZART HQ

NZART Public Liability Insurance

Official Broadcast

Off Shore News Links

NZART Housekeeping

There is an error on the invoice; the correct date of invoice should
read 1 August 2016 not 2015 as printed.

RSGB Handbook New Edition Offer

The RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain), will be publishing a 2016
Handbook in September this year.
NZART has been offered very competitive prices, so if you are interested
in purchasing a copy, let me know via e-mail: .
The cost will be approximately $NZD 50 to 60 and this will include
shipping..
The final cost will be determined when we have an idea of order numbers
as this will affect freight cost from the UK.

The offer is for an electronic version (CD Rom) or hard copy, so please
let me know your preference. The CD Rom will have a reduced freight
cost.

Talk soon…Debby ZL2DL

-------

NZART Public Liability and Fire Fighting Insurance: what are your
branch requirements?

Council has obtained cover for headquarters and the above from a new
broker with a worthwhile reduction in the premium.

We have five million dollars cover for public liability and two million
for forest fire fighting. The forest fire cover is probably excessive
and needs to be reviewed once we hear from branches that require this
cover (usually because of agreements with site owners for repeater
access).

There are two potential things that a branch could be liable for if a
fire were to be started as a result of amateur activities: the first is
for damage to property including a forest plantation. This is covered by
the public liability policy not the forest fire cover. The other
liability is the cost of fighting the fire. This is covered by the
forest fire cover.

We have often heard ‘we need two million dollars for forest fire
cover’.

Council needs clarification as to what the break down is between the two
potential liabilities mentioned above, for your branch. As NZART is
providing cover for these activities and it is important that realistic
cover is arranged.

It is extremely unlikely for the cost of fire fighting to reach two
million dollars, however the resulting damage (public liability) claim
could possibly reach this level.

We need branches to let us know what the breakdown of their requirements
are. If we can reduce the forest fire cover we will save several hundred
dollars p.a. in premiums. Being over insured is a great way to lose
money year after year!
Please email
your insurance preferences
Please note that this cover is only for NZART members.

NZART Council

-------

Official Broadcast

The Official Broadcast is made on the last Sunday of each month except:

December when the Broadcast is made on the Sunday before Christmas.

January when there is no broadcast

The broadcast is made on 3900 kHz, and on the National System and local
VHF repeaters.
The broadcast is made at 2000 hours (8:00 pm), with a repeat at 2100
hours (9:00 pm).
Members and Branches are welcome to submit material for inclusion in the
Broadcast to the e-mail or postal address shown below.

ZL2BHF
NZART Headquarters
P O Box 40-525
UPPER HUTT 5140
E-mail
73
Jim ZL2BHF

http://www.nzart.org.nz/h-quarter/broadcast/

-------

Off Shore News Links

ARRL News & Features

RSGB News

IARU Region 3

-------

NZART Housekeeping

Next HQ-Infoline:- Friday 2/09/2016. Closing date is Wednesday
31/08/2016.

-------

Old September 2nd 16, 10:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default NZART Headquarters Infoline 343

Editor: - Don MacDonald ZL3DMC

NZART Website:
www.nzart.org.nz

-------

Issue 343
Date 19/08/2016

-------

In this Issue

From NZART Headquarters

New QRP antenna book (Ad)

Branch 20 Table Sale

2016 IARU R3 Directors meeting

Official Broadcast

Off Shore News Links

NZART Housekeeping

-------

Debby says

In the last issue of HQ Info-line I called for expressions of interest
for the RSGB Handbook. I have since received 17 interested in obtaining
a copy.

I am waiting to hear back from RSGB as the weight of the book may
prohibit us obtaining too many. The new edition has 864 pages and weighs
2.12kg per each. I am trying to confirm that the book comes in a
paperback version, if not then the price to members here will be around
the $100 mark. For those of you who haven’t contacted me, can
you please advise ASAP if you are interested?

I have had another request to contact and amateur by the name of David
Mitchell ZL1MP apparently living in the Tauranga area in the
1950’s. Can anyone help with information on David?

Talk soon…Debby ZL2DL

-------

Hand-carried QRP antennas (by Peter Parker VK3YE)

Hand-carried QRP antennas is the new book that takes the mystery
out of portable antennas. After inviting you to assess your needs, it
discusses the pros and cons of popular types. Its style is brisk and
practical with almost no maths.

Many ideas for cheap but good materials suitable for portable
antennas are given. Beginners and those returning to radio after a
break should especially find this section handy.

Finally there’s construction details on a variety of
simple but practical antennas and accessories suitable for portable
operating. All have been built and tested by the author over almost 30
years of successful QRP activity.

Hand-carried QRP antennas is an ebook readable on most devices
(free software available if you don’t have a Kindle).
It’s Peter’s second book, following on from the popular
Minimum QRP, released last year.

More information:
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/handqrp.htm

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/vk3yeradiobooks/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?vFk17gARiA

-------

Branch 20 ,Manawatu, Table sale

Date:
8th October 2016

Location:
Longburn Hall, State Hwy 56, Longburn

Times:
Exhibitors Doors Open at 8am
General Public: Doors Open at 10pm

Pricing:
Full Table: $25 until 1st Oct. $30 after 1st Oct
$15 Half Table until 1st Oct. $20 after 1st Oct

Contact:

-------

4.

Press Release, 23 August 2016

The directors of IARU Region 3 met in Tokyo on 22nd and 23rd August 2016
at the office of JARL HQ.

Present were Directors Prof. Rhee HL1AQQ, Peter Young VK3MV, Don Wallace
ZL2TLL, Wisnu Widjaja YB0AZ, Shizuo Endo JE1MUI, Gopal Madhavan
VU2GMN,and Secretary Ken Yamamoto JA1CJP.

Tim Ellam VE6SH President IARU and Reinaldo Leandro YV5AM President
Region 2 also attended the meeting.

The directors reviewed the actions taken to implement various
resolutions that were recorded during the Region 3 conference held in
Bali Indonesia last year.

All documents in general use, including all guidelines, have been
reformatted uniformly for ease of reading and have been posted on the
Region 3 webpage.

Special attention was made to study actions required by all societies to
support the move by IARU for spectrum defense and expansion at the
upcoming WRC in 2019.

IARU is seeking the support of Region 3 societies for Agenda Item 1.1 -
50 MHz amateur allocation in Region 1 for harmonisation worldwide.

IARU Region 3 will have representation at the APG meetings leading up to
WRC 19.

Communication between societies and the IARU R3 has been identified as
an essential requirement and the Region 3 webpage will soon have
interactive pages where the societies can update information themselves
and post important news items that concern them.

Major work is underway to reformat the Region 3 band-plan to bring it in
line with other regions and also make it easier to obtain relevant
information.

The reactivation of amateur radio in Fiji and the other Pacific islands
in the region is being actively pursued.

Discussions also took place on assisting newcomers to the hobby,
especially young operators, with low cost entry level transceivers.

An award has been instituted by WIA to recognise excellent Single
Operator achievement within Region 3 in the IARU HF Championship.

The next meeting of the directors has tentatively been set for the first
week of September 2017, soon after the Tokyo Ham Fair.

-------

[...]

Next HQ-Infoline:- Friday 14/09/2016. Closing date is Wednesday
16/09/2016.

You have received this message because you are subscribed on an NZART
Infoline list.

If you wish to be removed from this list, please visit:

http://www.nzart.org.nz/join/e-mail-...infoline-list/

END OF INFOLINE 343

Old September 16th 16, 11:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default NZART Headquarters Infoline 344

Editor: - Don MacDonald ZL3DMC

NZART Website:
www.nzart.org.nz

-------

Issue 344
Date 16/09/2016

-------

In this Issue

IARU Region 3 Directors Meeting 22nd, 23rd August 2016 at
JARL HQ, Tokyo Japan.

Marton and Districts Branch 23 70th reunion

Russian Digital Radio Club News

ELG Report

Official Broadcast

Off Shore News Links

NZART Housekeeping

-------

[...]

Marton and Districts Branch 23 will celebrate its 70th reunion on Sunday
the 6th November this year. There will be a low key Finger Food to be
held at the Bulls RSA, High Street, Bulls beginning at 12 noon to
celebrate this event. All welcome to join us for this occasion. This
cost will be $15 per head. To help us with catering can you please RSVP
to the Secretary Cathy Purdie ZL2ADK or Brian ZL2ADL (address and email
as per call book) by the 25th October.

In conjunction with this Branch 23 will also run an Award from the 1st
to the 15th October. All bands, all modes including repeaters. Rules for
this award will be on the Branch 23 website.

www.qsl.net/zl2ams

There will be no charge for this award.

Many thanks

Cathy Purdie ZL2ADK

-------

Dear Fellow Radio Amateurs,

Russian Digital Radio Club invites you:

1 - 2 October - BPSK63, RTTY

Russian WW Digital Contest :
https://www.rdrclub.ru/russian-ww-di...ww-digi-ruless

3 - 4 November - OLIVIA 4-250, THROBX 2, MFSK 4

Digital Activity Days "Planet DIGIRADIO" :
https://www.rdrclub.ru/dni-aktivnost...planet-digirad
ioo

We have made many prizes and certificates for all participants.

Prizes gallery:
https://www.rdrclub.ru/gallery-prize...a-nagrad-rtsrk

We wish you great success and enjoyable participation in our contests
and activity days!

73! de RDRC

-------

ELG Report

Ivan Nelson ZL1OTF has applied for a 70 cm FM voice repeater. The
repeater transmit frequency will be 438.250 MHz & repeater receive
frequency 433.250 MHz. The location is Mcleod Road Waioneke,
Helensville. Topo Map50 AZ30 161.83 537.96. Engineered by Tony Brown
ARE035 (ELG). In accordance with RSM PIB38 this confirms that no
interference will caused to other stations.

Steve Fogerty ZL2ASF

ELG Team Leader

-------

[...]

Next HQ-Infoline:- Friday 7/10/2016. Closing date is Wednesday
5/10/2016.

You have received this message because you are subscribed on an NZART
Infoline list.

If you wish to be removed from this list, please visit:

http://www.nzart.org.nz/join/e-mail-...infoline-list/

END OF INFOLINE 344

Old October 7th 16, 10:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default NZART Headquarters Infoline 345

Editor: - Don MacDonald ZL3DMC

NZART Website:
www.nzart.org.nz

-------

Issue 345
Date 07/10/2016

-------

In this Issue

From Headquarters

Dstar Qso Party

Break In

VI1SEA Special Event Station

Branch 82 and 46 Demonstration

San Francisco Radio Club Special Event

ELG Report

Official Broadcast

Off Shore News Links

NZART Housekeeping

people taking advantage of internet banking. However, I remind you once
again, if paying directly to our bank account, please make sure you
enter at least your call sign and/or call sign, so I can identify your
payment.

I have already received two payments for next year via internet banking
that I am unable to credit to a member as they have no details
whatsoever.

The rebate period ends on 30th November, so if you wish to take
advantage of the reduced rate of $89 for transmitting and $119 for
family transmitting members, you will need to pay on or before this
date.

Break In will be in your letterboxes within the next 10 days.

Talk soon…Debby ZL2DL

-------

D-Star QSO Party 2016.

Runs from Friday 23rd September at 00:00 UTC to Sunday 25thSeptember at
24:00 UTC.

For more info re rules, log reporting etc go
to:https://www.icom.co.jp/world/dqp/

The next issue or Break-In, September/October 2016 is now with the
printers and out in

your letterbox by very soon.

Included in this issue is:

Station Automation: Switching Antenna’s

Articles on:

The Christchurch Incident

Radio History in Ontario, Canada

District Plan Involvement Matters: Reflections from the Local Government
Liaison Officer

Review: LD-5 HF Ham Radio

More about Vertical Loop Antennas for DX’ing

The next close of date for Break-In is 10 November 2016, for the
November/December 2016 issue.

VI4SEA

ANNOUNCING THE ACTIVATION OF THE SPECIAL EVENT STATION

VICTOR INDIA 4 SYDNEY EMDEN ACTION

1st Nov ~ 9th Nov ~ 2016

On qrz.com

MICHAEL J. CHARTERIS, VK4QS

& THE VI4SEA TEAM

DURING THE GREAT WAR OF 1914~18, AUSTRALIA AND THE GERMAN EMPIRE WERE
ADVERSARIES. TODAY OUR COUNTRIES ARE THE BEST OF FRIENDS. OUR
COMMEMORATION WITH VI4SEA DOES NOT SEEK TO GLORIFY WAR. RATHER WE SEEK
TO COMMEMORATE THE BRAVERY OF THE OFFICERS AND SAILORS OF BOTH LIGHT
CRUISERS DURING AN ACTION THAT WAS THE FIRST EVER NAVAL ENGAGEMENT FOR
THE

ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY & THE GALLANT END OF A RAIDER’S REIGN

“HOW WIRELESS TELEGRAGHY LEAD TO A RAIDER’S
DEMISE”

THE SYDNEY ~ EMDEN ACTION

9th November 1914

At about 0620 on 9 November, 1914, wireless telegraphy (W/T) operators
in several transports as well as in the escorting warships received
signals in an unknown code followed by a query from the Cocos Island W/T
station, 'What is that code'? It was in fact the German cruiser Emden
under the command of Captain Karl von Müller, ordering her collier
Buresk to join her at Point Refuge to coal. Shortly afterwards, the
Cocos Island telegraphists signalled 'Strange warship
approaching’ followed later by the same message prefixed by
‘S.O.S.’ - the international distress call.

As Von Müller patiently awaited the return of his landing party,
smoke was sighted on the horizon which was at first assumed to be the
Buresk. Soon afterwards the masts of the approaching ship were
recognised as those of a warship. The ship Von Müller had spotted
was Sydney which, as the nearest warship to the Cocos group, had been
ordered by Captain Silver in Melbourne to proceed at full speed to
investigate. By 0700 Sydney was 'away doing twenty knots' and at 0915
had simultaneously sighted the island and the Emden some seven or eight
miles distant. At first Captain Glossop could not tell whether the ship
sighted was Emden or the Königsberg, both of which were thought to
be at large in the Indian Ocean at that time.

THE REST IS HISTORY

CHECK OUT VI4SEA ON QRZ.COM FOR FURTHER DETAILS OF THE EVENT

Thanks to the Royal Australian Navy’s Sea Power Centre and Mr.
Duncan Perryman for the information above.

SPECIAL THANKS TO THE W.I.A AND THE A.C.M.A FOR APPROVAL OF OUR SPECIAL
EVENT CALL SIGN

OFFICIAL SPECIAL EVENT QSL CARD

(Special thanks to the West Australian Museum for the artwork of our QSL
card)

-------

Branch 82 and Branch 46 are combing on a site at the Wairarapa A & P
Show, Clareville, on Saturday 29th October. For a demonstration of
Amateur Radio Communications and Operations to help promote our hobby to
the wider public. We are to be joined by Sharon Dawson from Icom NZ, to
demonstrate the latest that Icom has to offer, including marine,
aviation and farm communication products.

Be nice to see you there.

Cheers Elaine ZL2 ELA and David ZL2 BA

-------

​Hello,

We at the San Francisco Radio Club would like to let you know
of our final special event operation for this our centennial year
of 2016. We invite you to participate by making contact with us
during this event.

Call Sign: W6PW/100
When: Saturday, November 12, 2016
Hours: 16:00Z-23:00Z
Frequencies: 28.300 MHz, 24.945 MHz, 21.275 MHz, 18.150 MHz
14.225 MHz, 7.178MHz (SSB)

Other frequencies and modes will be announced as we get closer
to the event and will be posted on QRZ.com/W6PW. A special QSL

Card will be available for all QSOs. See QRZ.com/w6pw or www.
sfarc.org for details.
We hope you can be a part of amateur radio history and help us
celebrate 100 continuous years as a service club. Please pass this
information along to as many other clubs and HAMs as possible.

Thank you!

73 de,

Tony Dowler K6BV
President, SFRC

-------

ELG Report

Branch 25 Napier has applied to change the frequency of its 6 metre
beacon, at the Branch clubrooms in Latham Street, Napier, located at
TOPO50 BK39 354.37 196.10. The new frequency will be 50.030 MHz.

(ARE038-ELG)

Branch 25 Napier have also applied to change the frequency of its 2
meter

beacon at the Branch clubrooms. The new frequency will be 144.270.

(ARE142-ELG)

Engineering evaluations, in accordance with RSM document PIB38,
confirms that there will be no interference to other stations.

Please send all licence applications to

Steve Fogerty ZL2ASF

ELG Team leader

-------

[...]

Next HQ-Infoline:- Friday 21/10/2016. Closing date is Wednesday
19/10/2016.

You have received this message because you are subscribed on an NZART
Infoline list.

If you wish to be removed from this list, please visit:

http://www.nzart.org.nz/join/e-mail-...infoline-list/

END OF INFOLINE 345