Old November 1st 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Forty Years Licensed

wrote:

So it makes
sense to require us to know the regs rather than expecting our rigs to
prevent our mistakes.

I agree with this, but it brought a question to my mind.

The new generation of HF transceivers -- the ones that have quite a bit
of computing ability built in -- do they have the ability to enforce
sub-bands? Certainly they *could* have that ability, since they already
"know" the band edges and in most cases won't allow you to transmit
completely outside a band allocation, but why not support the next step
and not allow SSB in the CW band?

I don't think that most folks who find themselves doing something stupid
like using SSB outside of the US sub-bands do so because they don't know
the regulations. They get caught up in the excitement of a contest or
chasing DX or their mind slips out of gear, and when they realize what
they've just done they feel about two inches tall. I would like to see
the flexibility in a piece of equipment that I just shelled out big
bucks for to keep me from doing this, while at the same time giving me
the flexibility to program the segments that apply to my license class
or if I take the rig to a different location where the rules are different.

Or maybe this is already a feature of the new rigs. I wouldn't know,
not having bought any HF equipment in this century.

73, Steve KB9X

Old November 1st 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:51:51 EDT, Steve Bonine wrote:

I would like to see
the flexibility in a piece of equipment that I just shelled out big
bucks for to keep me from doing this,

That separates the "Compleat Ham" who is in control of the station
from the "appliance operator".

while at the same time giving me
the flexibility to program the segments that apply to my license class
or if I take the rig to a different location where the rules are different.

An interesting thought.

Or maybe this is already a feature of the new rigs. I wouldn't know,
not having bought any HF equipment in this century.

I acquired an Elecraft K2/100 about 18 months ago. It has been
augmented by the K3 now. Both are top-of-the-line HF rigs in kit or
modular form (think of a Heathkit on steroids). Neither has the
feature that you are describing.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

e-mail: k2asp [at] arrl [dot] net

Old November 1st 07, 11:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Phil Kane" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 13:51:51 EDT, Steve Bonine wrote:

I would like to see
the flexibility in a piece of equipment that I just shelled out big
bucks for to keep me from doing this,

That separates the "Compleat Ham" who is in control of the station
from the "appliance operator".

while at the same time giving me
the flexibility to program the segments that apply to my license class
or if I take the rig to a different location where the rules are
different.

An interesting thought.

Or maybe this is already a feature of the new rigs. I wouldn't know,
not having bought any HF equipment in this century.

You can program many new rigs to auto mode switch based on frequency but
they also allow you override that auto mode at any time.

Dee, N8UZE

Old November 2nd 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"
The radio has to be set for "SSB" to use AFSK. The effect on the
receiving end is identical to using FSK and so is a perfectly legal way to
do RTTY.. If you put this as a "hard point" in the radio, you eliminate
using AFSK for RTTY. Something along the lines of the "law of unintended
consequences".

Dee, N8UZE

Indeed, it is also a problem if you use the HF set as the driver for a
transverter to a band where the bandplan is entirely different.

73
Jeff

Old November 2nd 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Nov 1, 12:51?pm, Steve Bonine wrote:
wrote:
So it makes
sense to require us to know the regs rather than
expecting our rigs to
prevent our mistakes.

I agree with this, but it brought a question to my mind.

The new generation of HF transceivers -- the ones that
have quite a bit
of computing ability built in -- do they have the ability to enforce
sub-bands?

I don't know of any that do, in terms of subbands-by-mode or subbands-
by-license-class.

But I don't think it would be a big feat of software engineering to
have a lookup table that compared the mode selection with the
transmit frequency, and allowed transmission only if the selection was
in the lookup table.

Certainly they *could* have that ability, since they already
"know" the band edges and in most cases won't allow you to
transmit
completely outside a band allocation, but why not support the next step
and not allow SSB in the CW band?

As N8UZE points out, this would limit flexibility, because all sorts
of "soundcard data modes" are often implemented by putting the rig in
SSB mode and feeding audio into it. This may become less of a problem
as more rigs incorporate data modes internally. (The Elecraft K3 can
send and receive RTTY and PSK31 without a computer, monitor, or
keyboard).

I don't think that most folks who find themselves doing something
stupid
like using SSB outside of the US sub-bands do so because they don't know
the regulations. They get caught up in the excitement of a contest or
chasing DX or their mind slips out of gear, and when they realize what
they've just done they feel about two inches tall.

With all due respect, if someone forgets the regs by being caught up
in the excitement, they really don't know them in a practical sense.

I would like to see
the flexibility in a piece of equipment that I just shelled out big
bucks for to keep me from doing this, while at the same time
giving me
the flexibility to program the segments that apply to my license
class
or if I take the rig to a different location where the rules are
different.

The second problem is that, for flexibility, you'd have to include the
ability to defeat/disable the feature. Which means it could be left in
the off position unintentionally, and provide no protection.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 2nd 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Nov 2, 2:04?pm, Phil Kane wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 11:44:34 EDT, wrote:
(The Elecraft K3 can send and receive RTTY and PSK31
without a computer, monitor, or
keyboard).

Couple of other modes, too. See the website - the manual is online
now:

www.elecraft.com

Good trick. I can see using the front-panel display for the monitor
but how does one input alphanumeric characters without a
keyboard of sorts?

You send Morse Code to the rig and it translates/encodes the Morse
into the PSK31, RTTY, etc. Paddles are the usual input device.

Built in, not an add-on device. The decoder is reputedly very good
too, its only limitation being the limited display space.

Then again, what do I know? I'm just as lowly K2 "appliance
operator"
ggg

bwaahaahaaa....

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 5th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

wrote:
On Nov 2, 2:04?pm, Phil Kane wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 11:44:34 EDT, wrote:
(The Elecraft K3 can send and receive RTTY and PSK31
without a computer, monitor, or
keyboard).

Couple of other modes, too. See the website - the manual is online
now:

www.elecraft.com
Good trick. I can see using the front-panel display for the monitor
but how does one input alphanumeric characters without a
keyboard of sorts?

You send Morse Code to the rig and it translates/encodes the Morse
into the PSK31, RTTY, etc. Paddles are the usual input device.

That is pretty darn clever. Does it have any special characters for
backing up/corrections? I don't know if you've ever done it or not, but
I suspect that it would be really easy to drop into "cw speak", which
might be a little strnge for us native psk'ers. In any event, props go
out to Elecraft for an innovative solution.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old November 6th 07, 03:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Nov 5, 4:03?pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 11:44:34 EDT, wrote:
(The Elecraft K3 can send and receive RTTY and PSK31
without a computer, monitor, or
keyboard).

Couple of other modes, too. See the website - the manual is online
now:

www.elecraft.com

You send Morse Code to the rig and it translates/encodes the
Morse
into the PSK31, RTTY, etc. Paddles are the usual input device.

That is pretty darn clever.

Yup.

Of course it means you have to know how to send Morse Code in order to
do PSK31 or RTTY without a keyboard, but still.....

Does it have any special characters for
backing up/corrections?

Check the manual. It's interesting reading.

I don't know if you've ever done it or not, but
I suspect that it would be really easy to drop into "cw speak",
which
might be a little strnge for us native psk'ers.

O RLY?

In any event, props go
out to Elecraft for an innovative solution.

They've got a lot of them. Their manuals are worth a read
just for the ingenuity that went into the rig designs.

I got a chance to use a KX1 on Field Day this year. Amazing
little rig. Complete with accessory paddles, it's about the size of a
stack of QSL cards.

73 de Jim, N2EY