Old May 10th 08, 02:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default NASA Predicts Solar Storm

Says the coming solar maximum will be the most intense in 50+ years,
and may exceed the legendary maximum of the late 1950s:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...ing.htm?friend

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old May 11th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

That prediction is dated over 2 years ago, and it ain't lookin' so good to be
fulfilled!

73, de Hans, K0HB
Just a boy and his radio

Old May 11th 08, 08:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sun, 11 May 2008 01:36:15 -0400, KØHB wrote:
That prediction is dated over 2 years ago, and it ain't lookin' so good

to be
fulfilled!

Isn't it WAY too early to be writing off this cycle?

Old May 12th 08, 06:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote

Isn't it WAY too early to be writing off this cycle?

Oh, I'm not "writing it off", Doug.

But it isn't looking good for the "most active cycle in 50 years" predicted in
that article.

It's alarming to note that the words "Maunder Minimum" are being heard more and
more in polite society. Five years ago that phrase would have people rushing to
their Funk and Wagnalls, now we just shake our heads up and down and say "Could
be, yes, it could be."

73, de Hans, K0HB
Just a boy and his radio

Old May 12th 08, 11:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On May 10, 8:07 am, wrote:
Says the coming solar maximum will be the most intense in 50+ years,
and may exceed the legendary maximum of the late 1950s:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...ing.htm?friend

73 de Jim, N2EY

For those who realize the impact the sun has on our communications,
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html is a good site to monitor.

Space Weather Warnings and Alerts from our friends at the National
Weather Service are also available.

73

--

Lloyd Colston Altus Emergency Management
Altus, OK http://www.cityofaltus.org/

Old May 12th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KØHB wrote:
"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote

Isn't it WAY too early to be writing off this cycle?

Oh, I'm not "writing it off", Doug.

But it isn't looking good for the "most active cycle in 50 years" predi

cted in
that article.

It's alarming to note that the words "Maunder Minimum" are being heard

more and
more in polite society. Five years ago that phrase would have people r

ushing to
their Funk and Wagnalls, now we just shake our heads up and down and sa

y "Could
be, yes, it could be."

Yet those who are in tune with the Palos Verdes Sundancers and who read
the weekly epistles from Cass, have no fear of what is to come. Those
who recall the words of Red-eyed Louie, the Little Pistol and the Old
Timer at the top of the hill realize that DXing is a moveable feast.

Dave K8MN

======================================= MODERATOR'S COMMENT:
Getting a little obscure, aren't we?

Old May 13th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

============= MODERATOR'S COMMENT: Getting a little obscure, aren't we?

Not at all obscure if you're one of The Deserving.

Dave's comments are about the characters who inhabit the writings of Hugh
Cassidy, WA6AUD (SK) , the editor of the West Coast DX Bulletin from 1968 until
1979.

This is classic Amateur Radio lore, written by someone who "got it".

His depiction of the mentoring between "The Oldtimer on the Hill" and "The
QRP'er" are classic Amateur Radio lore, written by someone who "got it".

Now then, does anyone have an eMail address for East Coast Bob?

73, de Hans, K0HB
Just a boy and his radio

Old May 13th 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Dave Heil and an anonymous moderator wrote:

Yet those who are in tune with the Palos Verdes Sundancers and who read
the weekly epistles from Cass, have no fear of what is to come. Those
who recall the words of Red-eyed Louie, the Little Pistol and the Old
Timer at the top of the hill realize that DXing is a moveable feast.

Dave K8MN

===================================== MODERATOR'S COMMENT: Getting a
little obscure, aren't we?

Not for anyone who ever read The West Coast DX Bulletin. Here's a
sample of the output from the typewrite of WA6AUD:

"WEST COAST DX BULLETIN Published every week by the Marin County DX
Group. One of our local QRPers came by last week, troubled and anxious.
"It's that I figure I'm over the hill", this QRPer explained. "I'm
around the bend for sure. I am sore and troubled and these wounds of
mine....these spiritual wounds....are grievous burdens. I suspect that
I have had it". We nodded in sympathy for we know those dark watches of
the night when a DXer must wrestle with his fears....that he will
miss one. "And just what is the problem?", we asked. "Have you turned
fifty? Or something like that?". The QRPer jumped to his feet and
glared at us. "I thought that you!..you of all people would
understand", he exclaimed. "That you would know
what it is to work your 300th country and there is little left for you.
You!!..", he said and away he went. We did not call after him for we
know the wounds of the spirit and that dreaded 300th country sticker has
felled more than one noble DXer. For one must watch...and $10.50 will
bring you a full year of DX Warning Signals... $12.00 flights the alerts
at you by airmail. Beware the 300th Sticker!! Worse than Normans Woe!!"

If you like it, you may go to the following url to read mo

http://www.geocities.com/k2cddx/wcdxbarch.html

I have about five entire years worth of the WCDXB with which I'll never
part. Where else can one find historic DX doings combined with
magnificent prose?

Dave K8MN

Old May 15th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"KØHB" wrote in
m:

"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote

Isn't it WAY too early to be writing off this cycle?

Oh, I'm not "writing it off", Doug.

But it isn't looking good for the "most active cycle in 50 years"
predicted in that article.

It's alarming to note that the words "Maunder Minimum" are being
heard more and more in polite society. Five years ago that phrase
would have people rushing to their Funk and Wagnalls, now we just
shake our heads up and down and say "Could be, yes, it could be."

It's even more alarming that those polite folk are willing to suggest a
Maunder minimum on the basis of a slow start to a cycle. They should have
checked their Fun an Waganalls, or at leat Wikipedia. We'd pretty much have
to miss a whole cycle to declare the possibility of entering a new minimum.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old May 16th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
36...

It's even more alarming that those polite folk are willing to suggest a
Maunder minimum on the basis of a slow start to a cycle. They should have
checked their Fun an Waganalls, or at leat Wikipedia. We'd pretty much have
to miss a whole cycle to declare the possibility of entering a new minimum.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

[shaking head up and down] Could be, yes, it could be."

73, de Hans, K0HB
Just a boy and his radio

solar storm a comin'! Lisa Simpson Shortwave 5 March 10th 06 11:52 PM
Major Solar Storm underway radioman390 Shortwave 2 May 16th 05 02:37 PM
Effects of solar storm on VHF gil Shortwave 8 November 1st 03 02:36 PM
Effect of solar storm on VHF gil Swap 3 November 1st 03 03:14 AM
Solar storm Steveo CB 0 October 24th 03 03:03 PM