Old March 30th 13, 08:46 PM
Senior Member

Default VE's WANTED

I had a interesting email from a VE - pertaining to VE's wanted for Dayton this year.
They are looking for LARC VE members to work a 6 hour shift.
In return, you get into the Dayton Hamfest FREE!

Um - lets see
I drive 5 hours to get there.
I pay $200 a night to stay there
I work 6 hours and I get to walk around for free.
I drive another 5 hours to go home.

That means I put out about $500 to go to the Dayton Hamfest and I have about 16 hours to spend - realistically, and I give up 6 of those hours to save $20.00

That is what I would call dedication to amateur radio........
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old March 31st 13, 06:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Saturday, March 30, 2013 8:22:15 PM UTC-4, Channel Jumper wrote:

That means I put out about $500 to go to the Dayton Hamfest and I have
about 16 hours to spend - realistically, and I give up 6 of those hours
to save $20.00

I guess it depends on how you look at things. I put a lot of hours into
completely unpaid Amateur radio activities, like VE testing, QSO Party
management, and public service functions that if I was paid my
typical salary would come out to around 40 thousand dollars a year,
calculated by the hour.

It doesn't bother me a bit, and I'm actually having fun doing those things.

Old March 31st 13, 08:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 20:22:15 EDT, Channel Jumper
wrote:

I had a interesting email from a VE - pertaining to VE's wanted for
Dayton this year.
They are looking for LARC VE members to work a 6 hour shift.
In return, you get into the Dayton Hamfest FREE!

Um - lets see
I drive 5 hours to get there.
I pay $200 a night to stay there
I work 6 hours and I get to walk around for free.
I drive another 5 hours to go home.

That means I put out about $500 to go to the Dayton Hamfest and I have
about 16 hours to spend - realistically, and I give up 6 of those hours
to save $20.00

That is what I would call dedication to amateur radio........

We are AMATEURS, not professionals.
Everything I do related to amataur radio I do for free, and often it
costs me money.

I lead the local VE exam team. Besides the 2 hours of the actual
exams, I spend another 3 to 4 hours preparing, including answering
questions from exam candidates. It's 20 miles round-trip from my
house to the exam site. And once or twice a year, I drive 100 miles
round-trip to help out at exams in neighboring cities. All for free.

I belong to our local ARES/RACES group. When we run drills, I might
have to drive to remote parts of our valley. As part of our training,
we provide for free communications for events run by local non-profit
organizations. All for free.

Dick Grady, AC7EL

Old April 1st 13, 02:08 PM
Senior Member

I travel 50 miles one way, on back country roads to give VE test exams and to go to club meetings, at least I did until I quit the club.
That is not the point.

If you were going to Dayton - just to look, then it wouldn't matter how you spent your time. If you were going there to look for bargains - then you would want to maximize your time.

This wasn't even the point I was trying to make.
The point is - if you are a LARC VE and would like to participate - here is your opportunity to get in for FREE.

And if you are not a LARC VE - why aren't you?
If you are not a VE at all - the LARC does not require a test to become a VE.
And if you are a LARC VE - the ARRL will grandfather you in as a ARRL VE.
I took the test anyways - just to show people that I could do the work and pass the test.
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...
Old April 3rd 13, 03:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On 3/30/2013 8:22 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:
I had a interesting email from a VE - pertaining to VE's wanted for
Dayton this year.
They are looking for LARC VE members to work a 6 hour shift.
In return, you get into the Dayton Hamfest FREE!

Please tell us if LARC will accept VE's from other VECs. I plan to go to
Dayton this year, and I'm an ARRL VE, so I could help if they'll
accredit me.

Bill, W1AC

--
Bill Horne
(Remove QRM from my address to write to me directly)

VE's should be allowed to use a cattle prod to make people take a code test. Slow Code Antenna 4 November 2nd 06 04:15 AM
VE's should be allowed to use a cattle prod to make people take a code test. Slow Code Policy 5 November 2nd 06 04:15 AM
VE's should be allowed to use a cattle prod to make people take a code test. Slow Code Swap 4 November 2nd 06 04:15 AM
VE's may lose 220-222MHz KØHB Policy 0 January 12th 04 09:39 PM
Wanted==> 1000' Roll of RG-223<==Wanted MSisco9939 Equipment 0 November 1st 03 02:59 AM